PDA

View Full Version : Should Christians Tithe on Gambling Winnings?

Ben W
02-01-2005, 04:43 AM
A poll on Gambling.

Gib
02-01-2005, 06:59 AM
Should Christians gamble for money period? No.

Mike McK
02-01-2005, 08:45 AM
What if you don't believe that tithing is a practice for the church?

JGrubbs
02-01-2005, 08:51 AM
I don't believe Christians should gamble for money, and I don't believe that tithing is a practice for the church.

North Carolina Tentmaker
02-01-2005, 10:24 AM
A better question would be, If you tithe to God 10%, can you spend the rest of your money however you want to? Of course the answer is no. God wants your tithe, but more than that. He wants all you have. As long as you hold back 90% or 1% and declare, I gave God his share, this is MINE then you are not yielded to His will.

chipsgirl
02-01-2005, 11:43 AM
I don't agree with gambling. What if someone gives you a gift or you take out a student loan for income? Should you give part of that too? I just never thought about it before.

Alcott
02-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by North Carolina Tentmaker:
A better question would be,... Of course the answer is no. God wants your tithe, but more than that. He wants all you have. As long as you hold back 90% or 1% and declare, </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I gave God his share, this is MINE then you are not yielded to His will. </font>[/QUOTE]I have heard similar arguments before, and when it comes down to practicalities, it's quite dumb. Paul admonishes in both Corinthians and II Thessalonians that we shoud work to provide our own living. So if you take your pay and "give it (all) to God" (which usually means give it to the church, parachurch, or charitable gifts) you have not done what scripture says to do. If you think 'giving it to God' also means buying your own baloney and bread, there is no difference in a Christian doing that as a nonbeliever.

But getting down to your supposed meaning that we must be responsible with our means of living and ideally divide everything we can do with our money as for God or against God, this would be the hardest for modern Americans to really stomach. Do you own the cheapest automobile to operate (supposing you 'require' a car), buy the cheapest cuts of meat, the cheapest canned or dried foods, the cheapest clothes? use no electricity, run no water, use no phone minutes, et al, et al, which are not absolutely essential? If God demands 100%, and you think you are acknowledging that, then you consider yourself above those who live in grass huts wearing loincloth and grow or barter for everything they use. And if you consider yourself 'above' such people, then how does God own 100%, or even close to it, of what you have?

BTW, on the question of tithing gambling winnings... do those of you who say you would not tithe such winnings or willingly as a church accept such tithes, would you accept the tithes from plundering a city and killing all the people there and taking the spoils? That is what Abraham tithed, which is often the example of why we "under grace" and not law should still tithe.

Hardsheller
02-01-2005, 10:21 PM
If any of you do win the lottery and your church will not accept your tithe you can mail it to mine.

As a preacher once said to a packed house who had come expressly for the purpose of seeing what he would say since his wife won $27,000 in the State Lottery, "The Devil had that money long enough."

SaggyWoman
02-03-2005, 05:10 PM
If I win it, I give to the church.

I have never played a cash lottery.

go2church
02-04-2005, 01:20 AM
I figure the devil has had it long enough!

I don't support any form of gambling, amounts to a tax on those that can least afford it. Just look at the buildings, events and salaries they are paying...where do you think it comes from?

paulsfocus
02-05-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't gamble, I've never gambled, I believe it is bad stewardship.

But, if you gamble, and win, which rarely happens(I know I've lived in Vegas almost all my life), Praise the Lord give it to the Church, Give it to Mission's.
It's all debt paper anyway, it's not a real tithe unless it's of the increase (Deut. 14:22, Deut. 14:28[notice old testament]). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that debt isn't increase.

BibleMaMa
02-09-2005, 12:19 AM
A rule of thumb---

ALL MONEY IS GODS! So that should answer your questions on what to tithe on and what not to tithe on.

GOD OWNS IT ALL but only requires you to give 10% of ALL AND ANY MONEY YOU GET!
Even the quarter you found on the street. 2.5 cents is Gods.

music4Him
02-09-2005, 12:20 PM
There was a saying that I heard somewhere that said something about "ill gotten gain"...... does anyone know what that saying is? and is it biblcal?

Soulman
02-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Shouldn't gamble and shouldn't tithe.

Alcott
02-13-2005, 02:16 PM
What's wrong with "ill-gotten gain?" I collect my sick pay when I'm entitled to it.

I Am Blessed 24
02-13-2005, 04:47 PM
ill gotten gains = money that has "murky origins" (as in blood money)

PastorSBC1303
02-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Hardsheller, amen.

gb93433
02-14-2005, 12:28 AM
How is playing the stock market any diferent than gambling. It is still statistics.

music4Him
02-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by I Am Blessed 16:
ill gotten gains = money that has "murky origins" (as in blood money) Like in these scriptures maybe? But it says dishonest gain.

Eze 22:13 -
Behold, therefore I have smitten mine hand at thy dishonest gain which thou hast made, and at thy blood which hath been in the midst of thee.

Eze 22:27 -
Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, to get dishonest gain.

Alcott
02-15-2005, 07:56 PM
""(as in blood money)""

When Abe went on his bloody revenge mission and brought back so many spoils of war, was it blood money that he tithed to Melchidezek?

Soulman
02-17-2005, 02:01 AM
God told Adam to earn his bread by the sweat of his brow. That means through hard work.

I don't believe in tithing. As for giving,I don't believe God would even want it. How can you honor God with sin money?

Gib
02-17-2005, 07:00 AM
Money is an inaminate object. It doesn't sin.

Singing Cop
02-17-2005, 08:21 AM
A good many of gambling games require multiple players and for one to win others must lose. So if you are playing and you want to win then you are also wantint the others to lose the game. This type of attitude or desire in itself is sinful.

Alcott
02-17-2005, 07:55 PM
In that case it is a 'sinful attitude' to play any game whatsoever against another person. If you want to win a game of chess, then you want your opponent to lose. If you cheer for a team to win, then you are cheering for the opposing team to lose. If you want your kid to win a certain scholarship, then you want other kids in the running to lose that scholarship. This idea would leave only solitaire, where you want chance to lose.

Singing Cop
02-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Not all together true. I don't mind you loosing a game of chance where no stakes are involved...especially if you are playing me! smile.gif But it would be wrong of me to want you to lose something that may keep food in your child's mouth or a roof over your head!

Alcott
02-18-2005, 06:05 PM
And exactly how would you determine whether what your opponent is risking is necessary in order to "keep food in your child's mouth or a roof over your head?" Would you take his word for it?

And even if there is no money, or anything else tangible, at stake, do you just want to feel superior to that person you are playing against, and therefore you want that person to feel inferior?

If there is absolutely nothing to be gained or lost engaging in any type of competition, what would be the motivation for engaging in such competition? You made the statement, "This type of attitude or desire in itself is sinful." You stop short of carrying that all the way if you play any kind of games.