PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever memorized the entire Bible?

sanderson1769
03-28-2006, 12:05 AM
Does anyone know if anyone has ever memorized the entire Bible? If so, who was it?

Thank you,

Pastor Steven L Anderson

LadyEagle
03-28-2006, 12:49 AM
According to Wikipedia, Jack van Impe...

"Van Impe has said that he has memorized 14,000 verses, and that it took him 35,000 hours to do so."

Jim1999
03-28-2006, 01:39 AM
I got stuck at the genealogies.....When I was in school in England, we had to memorize the Gospel of St. John. That would be the equivalent of about Grade 6 in Canada. Over 50 odd years of ministry, I think I have a good part of the New Testament memorized, but not from consciously sitting down and memorizing such verses word for word.

LadyEagle, growing up as a PK, I bet you memorized quite a bit as well.

Cheers,

Jim

Alcott
03-28-2006, 02:02 AM
Sure, I can quote it all for you right now...

In the...uh... okay, what's the next word?

Joseph_Botwinick
03-28-2006, 02:20 AM
roshith.

Joseph Botwinick

EdSutton
03-28-2006, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by LadyEagle:
According to Wikipedia, Jack van Impe...

"Van Impe has said that he has memorized 14,000 verses, and that it took him 35,000 hours to do so." A year or so ago, I happened to be listening to Dr. Jack Van Impe, one morning, when that figure of 14,000 verses was announced in what I took to be a bit of a brag, three different times during the program, although not by Dr. Jack Van Impe, himself. Twice by his wife, Mrs. Rexella Van Impe and once by the announcer, Chuck Oman, who in a bit of departure from the usual fare, had made some announcement about 10 minutes into the program, it was said that the beaming Dr. Jack had 14,000 verses memorized. The very next verse Dr. Van Impe, quoted, after the third 'brag', he mislocated Hebrews 4:12, either as to the verse and citation or the other way around, I don't remember which, at this moment. But with my slightly off-beat sense of humor, I said to myself, "Yep! 14,000 verses memorized, and 13,998 references!" :rolleyes: The Lord does have ways of bringing us down a peg or two, now don't HE? :rolleyes: graemlins/laugh.gif graemlins/laugh.gif graemlins/laugh.gif
In His grace,
Ed graemlins/wave.gif

Gwen
03-28-2006, 04:16 PM
I memorized large portions of it when I was a child. But, my memory is not what it used to be. :rolleyes:

graemlins/laugh.gif Ed graemlins/laugh.gif

Gayla
03-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Joseph_Botwinick:
roshith.

Joseph Botwinick Joseph, who or what is "roshith"?

mioque
04-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Gayla
I think Joseph intended to do an anagram of the word horse...ummm manure.

mioque
04-03-2006, 06:49 AM
I've mentioned the late sister Agnes on an earlier thread.
http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/3521/2.html
Agnes memorized Scripture as some sort of devotional exercise, not so much as a studytool. In practice this meant that she could not isolate quotes from the Bible. She memorized by Book. If she needed for example a specific bit out of the Book of Acts, she either needed to go look it up, or start at the first sentence and 'scroll down' untill she had reached the section needed.

LadyEagle
04-06-2006, 02:22 AM
LadyEagle, growing up as a PK, I bet you memorized quite a bit as well.
Yessiree.....especially that verse that says "the eyes of the Lord are in every place beholding the evil and the good." :D

My mom taped verses in the bathroom where they could be seen from the bath tub or the throne. :eek:

music4Him
04-06-2006, 04:15 AM
I don't remember the ladys name but the Baptist preacher at a chrurch I went to said a woman who was going blind memorised it so when she did lose her sight she still had the scriptures. It does give an person a good reason to learn them, because you never know...

menageriekeeper
04-06-2006, 01:35 PM
I too did most of my memorizing as a child. Dad used to pay me 10 cents a verse! Back in those days that was good money, especially for a kid that didn't get an allowance. (we earned our money, you don't get something for nothing)

Nowdays, I can usually come up with the scripture but not the reference. That's okay, I have Strong's for that!

Berean
04-11-2006, 01:33 AM
I believe Angel Martienez, Southern Baptist Evangelist

thjplgvp
04-23-2006, 08:12 AM
John Goetch the Executive vice president at West Coast Baptist College has over 14,000 memorized and still does one per day as he is running his 5 miles at 5:30 A.M.

He is in his mid 40's Lord dwilling he may make it.

http://www.westcoastbaptist.edu/academics.faculty.asp

Rachel
05-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Wow! Cool smile.gif

Me4Him
05-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Back in the 70's I seen in the newspaper and on TV a man from California who had memorized the the "Entire Bible", he was asked to recite various random verses and passed, "word for word".

I don't remember his name.

KellyWhite
05-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by sanderson1769:
Does anyone know if anyone has ever memorized the entire Bible? If so, who was it?

Thank you,

Pastor Steven L Anderson Don't Baptists have to memorize The Bible, so they quote Scripture in response to every question?

Bro. James
05-19-2006, 09:21 AM
By way of pun: St. Scholasticus circa 1150--may have been the received text. However, he is coming up for re-beatification soon. It is not clear if anyone heard the entire canon without stopping. Verification is still pending.

No pun: Jesus to Nicodemus(a master of scripture): "You must be born again".

To God be the GLORY--great things HE has done.

Now what?

Bro. James

thjplgvp
05-23-2006, 08:55 AM
James,

I guess I am to old that went completely over my head. Speak very slow I am hard of hearing these days.

:D :D :D graemlins/wave.gif

Eliyahu
05-23-2006, 11:14 AM
As far as I know,
Eric Sauer( Principal of Wiedenist Bible School)
and Harry Ironside memorized NT in Greek, and there was one more who memorized the entire NT whom I don't know.

Nikita Khrushchev, President of Russia at the time of J F Kennedy around 1961 memorized 4 Gospel in Russian in his youth.

NateT
05-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Rabbi Isaac Jerusalami can chant the entire OT. From what I've heard, if he were a believer, he'd have the NT done too.

bobbyd
05-24-2006, 05:08 AM
My understanding is that Angel Rodriguez, a SBC evangelist had memorized either the entire Bible or the NT.
He went home to be with his Savior a few years ago. I had the opportunity to hear him preach a couple of times while i was in college and he quoted all of his scriptures from memory. He kept a Bible in his hand, but didn't open it while preaching if i do recall.

webdog
05-24-2006, 07:15 PM
I bet satan has the entire Bible memorized.

MRCoon
05-24-2006, 09:16 PM
I had a teenager at my last church in California (she is now at PCC) and she memorized the entire book of Proverbs. This was impressive and it definitely had an impact on her life and on mine.

Dave Taylor
06-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Kim Peek. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Peek

The Mega-Savant, made famous as the model for the Dustin Hoffman movie, 'Rain Man', who has amazing near perfect memory retention of just about everything (all zipcodes, all area codes, all political facts, all nasa facts, all events that have occurred on every date and day of the week, as well as phenomenal musical retention and recall, etc...)

His father has been quoted as Kim has memorized the entire Bible (as well as thousands of other works of literature).

Another interesting factoid about Kim, is that he reads two pages of a book at the same time, (left-eye reads left page, while right-eye reads the right page), and accomplishes this in a few seconds per 2-page set.

Imagine the computational headaches that would bring to most of us.

That's multi-tasking in an amazing way.