PDA

View Full Version : How many Deacons does your church have?

Ps104_33
02-05-2005, 11:54 AM
I have been to churches that have 300 members and 12 deacons. I have been to small churches with 100 members that had no deacons. The first church in Jerusalem had 7 deacons and had 3000 plus members. Is there a formula that is used to determine how many deacons a church should have? How many deacons does your church have and why? Maybe this would be a good question for Pastors.

TaterTot
02-05-2005, 12:05 PM
We have four deacons in our church. They truly act as servants and not dictators. They take care of the widows and children with bad home lives, and they are wonderful fellows.
As for a formula - I am not sure. We had 5 but when he left the church years ago, we didnt replace him. Didnt really need to. We have about 75 in worship.

Deacon
02-05-2005, 01:18 PM
There is no specific number of deacons specified in our church constitution (or IMHO in Scripture).

The number selected is based upon need.

In the church I attend the decision to increase the number of deacons is decided by the pastors and the deacons themselves.

Currently we have thirteen or fourteen deacons for a church of about 350-400 active members.

Rob

following-Him
02-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Our church currently has eight deacons, five men and three women and no, I didn't vote for any of the female deacons.

Sheila

Dr. Bob
02-05-2005, 01:56 PM
We have none presently. In a new church work, we are just starting to build a foundation. We have two men who are "elders-in-training" and they truly serve as "servant/leaders" in the group.

In my home church (I am a missionary) we have 100 members and usually 2 or at most 3 deacons. We ifb'ers don't want anything that smacks of a deacon BOARD that runs things!!

Gib
02-05-2005, 02:12 PM
We are in the 100 member range and have 16 active deacons :eek: They are actively doing nothing.

Jeff Weaver
02-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Three deacons, but one is knocking on 100, so he is not active much anymore, but does make it to church about everytime the door is open and he lives 50 miles away. Congregation size is about 50.

PastorSBC1303
02-05-2005, 03:27 PM
We generally have between 85-100 in worship on Sunday morning and we have 6 deacons, and are looking to add a couple more.

Ps104_33
02-05-2005, 03:49 PM
We are in the 100 member range and have 16 active deacons They are actively doing nothing. Then your pastor should put them to work or fire them. I have found in my experiences in some IFB Churches, the deacons seem to be bodyguards for the pastor who acts like "The Godfather".

mioque
02-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Officially we got 4, all are active.
If you are the sort of purist who thinks sundayschoolteachers don't count as deacons we've got 2, if you are the sort of purist who thinks the verger of a church is also a deacon we've got 5.

donnA
02-05-2005, 04:59 PM
We had 12 but one family moved. We have about 200 active members.

Dr. Bob
02-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Gib:
We are in the 100 member range and have 16 active deacons :eek: They are actively doing nothing. You gotta be kidding, Gib. What's the real number of "active" (not some honorary nonsense that SBC gives as lifetime achievement reward)?

Gib
02-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Their mentality is you're an active deacon for life. Of the 16, 4 are older than the hills, but still come to the deacon's meeting, breakfast, dinners, ect. They still are active as ushers, partaking in communion and seeing to the needs of the shut-ins.

Hardsheller
02-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Too many.

cindig2
02-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Our church has 18, we have 600-700 in worship. My parent's church has 65, they have around 1,200 in worship.

Bro. James Reed
02-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Good gracious!

We have 2.

We went for about 3 years with only one until my dad was ordained a deacon last year.

The set number should be enough to carry out the responsibilities of a deacon. If there aren't enough men to do that, then the church needs more.

Our church could never be with no deacons Dr. Bob. Our deacons are the trustees to the church property, so we kind of need them. graemlins/laugh.gif

We have 27 members.

When the church was constituted, 1974, they ordained 4 deacons. The most we have ever had at one time is 5.

mioque, help this Old Baptist out a little. What is a verger? :confused:

Ps104_33
02-06-2005, 12:04 AM
verger (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=verger)

Bro Tony
02-06-2005, 12:05 AM
We have 14 deacons. They are servants in the church and have no authority. They minister to the needs of our people. Most of them do a great job, love the Lord and His people. We have 250 to 300 in worship on Sundays.

Our understanding for our deacons is this---"If someone gets sick in the back of the church, it is to be a deacon, not the custodian, who cleans up and helps the person".

The Lord has blessed us with these wonderful men.

Bro Tony

mountainrun
02-06-2005, 01:16 AM

mountainrun
02-06-2005, 01:17 AM
50 members and 3 deacons.
One who nobody knows is a deacon unless they've been there for 10 years.
He tried to resign, but our departed pastor/parasite never got around to bringing it up at a business meeting and another deacon talked him into waiting until we got another pastor so he could be replaced.

Said other deacon makes one foolish decision after another and the church pretty much ignores him, though he sees himself as the leader of the church in the absence of a pastor or interim.

{Leaders aren't really leaders who are not followed.}

Third deacon is pretty much idle.

We are in the process, voting tomorrow, of calling a new pastor who seems to have a spirit led leadership quality. Hopefully our church will become functional again.

Hebrews 13 something tells us to follow the example of our leaders faith.

Hoo boy.

MR

av1611jim
02-06-2005, 02:39 AM
Are most of you folks who posted SBC? From my understanding, it would appear as if this is so.
14 deacons for 300 folks? That's one for every 20 people. I can't understand the need for that. Another said they are elected for life. That sounds like the SCOTUS. Again, I just don't understand that. Too much opportunity for power mad dictators. Not saying what you and your church chooses to do is wrong. I just don't understand it, that's all.

In my home church, we have about 900-1200, give or take a few. We don't maitain a "Church membership roll" as do many other Baptist stripes do. We have 9 deacons. We elect a new set of three every three years. No deacon can serve longer than three years at a stretch. He may be re-elected at a future date, but once his three years is done, he is done until such time in the future that his name comes up again for election. This avoids a whole buch of politicking, and avoids power struggles. Our men know they have only three years at a whack, and they know it is for service to the body. So they do a great job while in office. We don't give deacons lifetime office.

In HIS service;
Jim

mioque
02-06-2005, 04:13 AM
Ps104_33
The Dutch word for what I do is koster and includes being the custodian of the churchbuilding as well.

LRL71
02-06-2005, 04:22 AM
Would it be possible to have deacons do what the Bible says deacons should do? Although the Bible is silent as to the duration of time in which an official of the church should serve, it is best said that once a deacon/deaconness or an elder/pastor/bishop is no longer qualified to be in the ministry, then that is when such a person should not serve in that capacity. Now, as to deacons/deaconnesses, they are servants who are at the beck and call of the church. They are NOT rulers of the church, nor are they dictators as would be the case in some churches!

My church has one deacon, and though we're only four months old, we will be adding some soon.

Deacon
02-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by av1611jim:
Are most of you folks who posted SBC? From my understanding, it would appear as if this is so.
14 deacons for 300 folks? That's one for every 20 people. I can't understand the need for that. What do our deacons do?
They serve! It's maligned on the BB but we do have a deacon board (it's run by the pastors).
The deacons help the pastors to run the church.
We help do the work of the ministry.

We oversee maintenance of our buildings (big job with older buildings).
We oversee the budget by counting and collecting and administrating.
We handle the administration of the education of our Sunday school and weekday daycare.
We visit the sick.
We care for the widows and homeless.
We support church discipline and administer it when directed.

We do what the pastors tell us to do (and more).

Some might say these are the pastors responsibilities. I disagree.
A pastors job is to train up his flock.
He provides the leadership and direction.

As our deacons take on more of these tasks that burden the pastors, the pastors are able to focus on their main purpose of teaching and prayer.

Oh, and btw, we are not Southern Baptist.

Rob