1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Book to Defend the KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by larryjf, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryjf

larryjf New Member

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

"Defending the King James Bible" by: D.A. Waite, Th.D., Ph.D. is what we (my husband and myself) used in Bible Institute classes in 2001. I found the book to be very thorough in explaining what one needs to know as far as why the KJV should be used.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Waite not the most reliable

Waite should not be on your list. He once made a comment about Earnest Pickering regarding his use of MV's that was not true. I will give him the benefit of the doubt by saying he probably didn"t do his homework, but for a man with a doctarate he pught to do better research than that.

4. mnw

mnw New Member

Waite has a lot of good material. My only criticism, and the reason I do not recommend it, is the spirit in which it is written. It comes across as very angry and mean spirited... just my opinion.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let the KJV speak for itself.
    It is quite a stately work of art.
    God shines brightly in its pages.

Those other books, well, a weak defense, using poor arguments and bad doctrine is more harmful than no defense at all.

Rob

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1.) Dr. Waite fails to even come close to actually counting the differences between the AV 1611 and later KJV editions, as Logos 1560 has proven right here on this forum. And he even admits that he is KJVO "BY FAITH". Faith in WHAT? That faith is certainly not BIBLICAL faith as it lacks both substance and evidence as Biblical faith is described as having in Hebrews 11:1. Dr. Waite's faith is actually WISHFUL THINKING, GUESSWORK.

2.) While I respect Dr. Holland & give him credit for actually doing some research upon the points of KJVO, he does NOT solve the manuscript discussion, which has been going on for some 130 years. And there's another thing his arguments lack, which I shall address at the end of this post.

3.) Dr. Paisley's entire article is opinion, conjecture, and guesswork, the same stale ole KJVO arguments that have been pushed since 1970 or so, arguments that were shot down decades ago.

And all three of this KJVO "defenses do NOT address the cardinal point that kills the entire KJVO myth: LACK OF SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT. No doctrine ABOUT Scripture can be true if it's not SUPPORTED by Scripture. Argue all they want; the Scriptures were complete and in the hands of man long before the KJV was made, or the man-made myth about it was conjured up. And Scripture simply DOES NOT SUPPORT any Onlyism at all, any version nor language. The One-Versionists just cannot get around that obstacle.

Drs. Waite, Holland, and Paisley all avoid that compelling fact against Onlyism, as it effectively kills all their pro-KJVO arguments.

7. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

I personally recommend these books here...:

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/books/bible-versions.html

8. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

Somebody, Quick! Call the nut house! another crack pot Ruckmanite has excaped the Padded cell! :eek: :rolleyes: :smilewinkgrin: :tongue3:

Seriously, Use David Cloud's books, they work best.

9. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Deacon - the KJV does not need defending.

10. larryjf

larryjf New Member

TheWinDork,

The link you gave did not open for me. Can you give me the titles of 1 or 2 of the best books that you were thinking of?

robycop3,

What would you consider the best book in defense of the KJV?

I'm not looking for an anti-KJVO post, just want to know the best defense of the KJV. I am designing a class on Bibles and I want a few different sides of the issue represented as fairly as possible. I already have a book that i am using for the "reasoned ecclectic" text and a book for the "byzantine priority" text. I wanted to add a book for the KJV since it is an issue that comes up in Christianity today. After reading all 3 books the student will write a paper on their stand regarding manuscripts, textual criticism, and Bible versions - and have to defend their stand.

11. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

I dunno about you all, But [hateful language and attack on a Christian brother snipped] they always [hateful language and attack on a Christian brother snipped]. you don't deserve [hateful language and attack on a Christian brother snipped]

The KJV is the Preserved Word of God, Like it, deal with it, Get used to it, you [hateful language and attack on a Christian brother snipped]

-TheWinDork

#11 TheWinDork, May 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
  12. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

I don't know why that link would not open for you. Maybe it's because you didn't even click on it. Why should I even mention the links? because most of these alexandrian trained people in here will shoot down the author as a IFB crackpot, as I've heard him called. Well, seeing I did mention it... here they are:

[​IMG]FAITH VS. THE MODERN BIBLE VERSIONS: A COURSE ON BIBLE TEXTS AND VERSIONS AND A 10-FOLD DEFENSE OF THE KING JAMES BIBLEby David Cloud. To our knowledge, this 775-page volume is the most comprehensive course on this topic in print. It contains information that has not appeared in any other book defending the King James Bible and breaks new ground in several areas -- such as the importance of the ancient separatist versions in the defense of 1 John 5:7, an exposition of the doctrine of Bible preservation from 43 passages of Scripture, documentation of the corruption of evangelical scholarship over the past 50 years and of the apostasy that enveloped the 19th century as modern textual criticism was devised and that further enveloped the 20th century as modern textual criticism became entrenched, and documentation of the role played by Unitarians in the development of modern textual criticism, to name a few. If you are new to the Bible Version issue and want to understand it, we believe this is the book for you; and if you have already been studying this subject for some time, you will find a wealth of new things here. The course features 783 sectional review questions to reinforce the teaching. A separate teacher’s test book is available containing sectional and final tests with answer sheets. 775 pages, 7X8, perfect bound, $29.95
    [​IMG]THE BIBLE VERSION QUESTION ANSWER DATABASEby David Cloud. This book gives diligently-researched, in-depth answers to 82 of the most important questions on this topic. A vast number of myths are exposed, such as the myth that Erasmus promised to add 1 John 5:7 to his Greek New Testament if even one manuscript could be produced, the myth that the differences between the Greek texts and versions are slight and insignificant, and the myth that there are no doctrines affected by the changes in the modern versions. The author has carried on extensive correspondence with men on all sides of this issue for the past 25 years, and this book answers the challenges that are made by the opponents of “King James Onlyism,” including James White, D.A. Carson, Doug Kutilek, the editors of From the Mind of God to the Mind of Man and One Bible Only, etc. It also includes reviews of several of the popular modern versions, including the Living Bible, New Living Bible, Today’s English Version, New International Version, New American Standard Version, The Message, and the Holman Christian Standard Bible. 423 pages, 7X8, perfect bound, $17.95
    [​IMG]THE MODERN BIBLE VERSION HALL OF SHAME by David Cloud. This book documents the apostasy of some of the most influential names in the field of modern textual criticism and modern Bible versions from the past 250 years. There are articles on 110 influential modern textual critics and 40 modern version translators, including Simon, Bengel, Wettstein, Griesbach, Lachmann, Tregelles, Tischendorf, Westcott, Hort, Schaff, Thayer, Gregory, Briggs, Driver, Brown, Nestle, Liddle, Scott, von Soden, Kittel, Conybeare, Kenyon, Burkitt, Robinson, Lake, Souter, Clark, Moffatt, Goodspeed, Dodd, Bratcher, Taylor, Colwell, Kilpatrick, Elliott, Phillips, Epp, Nida, Ehrman, Childs, Wikgren, Aland, Martini, Metzger, and Karavidopoulos. There are also reports on some of the key evangelical popularizers of modern textual criticism, such as Tregelles, Hodge, Warfield, Robertson, Black, and Carson. 292 pages, 7X8, perfect bound, $14.95

There you go... and I'm sure your Alexandrian buddys will shoot those down, but get them for yourself. and READ! and KNOW the TRUTH!

-TheWinDork

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dunno about you all, But [hateful language and attack on a Christian brother snipped] they always [hateful language and attack on a Christian brother snipped]. you don't deserve [hateful language and attack on a Christian brother snipped]

The KJV is the Preserved Word of God, Like it, deal with it, Get used to it, you [hateful language and attack on a Christian brother snipped]

And posts like this will win you a suspension from posting on the BaptistBoard, Dork. Such vile hate-filled vomit is not allowed here.

I am publically warning you that this will not be tolerated. For a week we've enjoyed good discussions without the hate. And now you post this?

If you want to stay, abide by the rules. IF not, post again like this and you'll be on the outside looking in.

#13 Dr. Bob, May 31, 2006
  14. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. This is so mature and edifying for all to read. Didn't your momma ever tell you to keep your mouth shut and not say anything if you did not have anything nice to say? I would report this post if I knew how under this new format.

Edited to remove language in the quote only

#14 TC, May 31, 2006
  15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Our comments are read by any number of people, WinDork. We may be the only witness many of those people see or hear.

16. larryjf

larryjf New Member

TheWinDork,

I'm not sure why you would assume that i didn't click on it.
    Have i done something to offend you, or something that would make you think that i am a liar?

Who exactly are my Alexandrian buddys?

17. Blammo

Blammo New Member

If I defend TheWinDork will I get a warning too.

I can see where he is coming from. As a KJV only bible believer I've noticed a great deal of hate coming from the, seemingly, anti-KJV side. I can understand people who accept the "modern" versions, but to be so intensely agaist the KJV I don't get.

I will be happy to find out I was wrong to believe God was able to give us His perfect word in English. Will you be happy if you were wrong. I know it has nothing to do with salvation, but if God preserved His word, error free, for us, wouldn't you want to have it.

I've heard someone on here saying that they agree the KJV is God's preserved word and so is the NIV. How could that be? John 3:16 in the KJV has Jesus as God's only begotten Son. In the NIV Jesus is God's one and only Son. Big difference, don't you think? And that is just one of many examples.

If you want to have many versions of the bible, or prefer one other than the KJV, that's fine by me. But don't sit there and attack me for believing God gave us only one perfect English bible.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. The KJV does not need defending. It has stood the test of time as a superior English translation.

19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My recommendations for books that deal with the textual issue would be:

The Revision Revised

The Traditional Text of the Holy Gospels

Causes of Corruption

The Last Twelve Verses of Mark

all by John William Burgon.

I would also recommend The Identity of the New Testament Test by Wilbur N. Pickering and Introduction to the New Testament in the Original Greek by Robinson and Pierpont.

None of the above defend the KJV, per se, but rather defend the textform which underlies the KJV.

20. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Thank you TCassidy and FBCPastorsWife, the only actual responses to my post that have not been hostile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.