1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where did the baptist church covenant originate from?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by pastor justin, Dec 31, 2006.

1. pastor justin

pastor justin New Member

The baptist church covenant is hard to find out it seems and I would love to know its original author or author's.Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

The covenant starts out as follows:
    Having been led as we believe by the spirit of God ,to recieve the Lord Jesus Christ as our savior.........

Thank You
    Pastor Justin

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

When I get a chance I will delve into my library for you on this one. But I am reminded of an occasion when a church of which I was a member began to write its own covenant, and some objected on the grounds that there was/is a Baptist church covenant in existence. The classic rejoinder someone made was, "Why should we elevate to the place of Scripture something that came out of the Baptist Sunday School Board?"

We went on and created our own covenant! If I remember correctly, it softpedaled the part about "abstaining from the sale and use of intoxicating drinks", which many people either failed to recite or perjured themselves about.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree as to the "canonized rhetoric", not only from the BSSB, but anywhere else, as well. (Scofield, Spurgeon, Luther, Calvin, and Arminius are a few who come to mind quickly, even though the latter two are often attributed things that did not originate with them, as you all probably do well know.)

This last sentence is somewhat amusing, to say the least.

Ed

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. pastor justin

pastor justin New Member

Thanks for the input It is very useful in my search.I am teaching every wednesday on the church covenant.

Does anyone have an accurate date or place the covenant was written?:godisgood: ?

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

John the Baptist

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The original covenant was composed circa 1833, along with the New Hampshire Baptist Confession, and adopted by that state convention.

One of the authors, J. Newton Brown, was an editor for the American Baptist Publication Society, which in 1853 published his Baptist Church Manual, which contained a revised covenant (adding a clause endorsing prohibition.) The publication gave the covenant wide currency, which led to its adoption ithroughout the North and West. The manual is still in print from Judson Press (successor to the ABPS), though I don't know how much it has been revised fropm the original.

(As a side note, the New Hampshire Baptist Confession was written in opposition to the growth of Free Will Baptists in New England and espouses a modified Calvinism. The first time I heard about Brown's covenant - though I had no idea of its history at the time - was from a Free Will Baptist who was especially concerned about the prohibition clause because he was working in a grocery store that sold beer.)

8. pastor justin

pastor justin New Member

Thanks so much and thanks to baptist board I am now getting somewhere The excitement is starting to build!!!!