1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boy decapitated by roller coaster at Six Flags Over Georgia

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by standingfirminChrist, Jun 29, 2008.

1. standingfirminChrist

By RHONDA COOK, MARCUS GARNER
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 06/28/08
    The popular "Batman the Ride" rollercoaster at Six Flags Over Georgia remained closed Sunday while authorities continued investigating the death of a teenager who jumped over two fences and was struck by the ride.
    The 17-year-old South Carolina teen who died was identified as Asia Leeshawn Ferguson, of Springfield, S.C. He was on a church outing when the incident occurred about 2 p.m. Saturday. It was the second Batman ride-related death at the Cobb County park.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cobb/stories/2008/06/28/six_flags_death.html

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very Sad.:tear:

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not long ago here a cable broke and a girl's feet were severed. But she was an actual rider, not jumping fences or anything.

4. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Unfortunately people tend to not take seriously signs that plainly spell out a warning and no admittance. :tear:

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

My 11th and 12th grade guys were at the park at the time. A couple of them were in line for that ride (they were ahead of the incident).

They said it was very chaotic for a couple of moments...and the other kid (the one who was with the deceased) was very, very traumatized .

It's always sad when the stakes are so high for one stupid decision. I remember a couple of decisions I made at age 17...I could have easily suffered severe consequences.

My guys saw the importance of the safety warnings, that's for sure.

Of course, this death has nothing to do with the ride's safety. The fact that 6 Flags is opening the ride back up today tells you something.

6. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Edited: Didn't see that you were in KY.

#6 JerryL, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

What a sad story! But I agree with Cutter. Over here, we have had several people die from a craze known as "tombstoning" - jumping into the see from a great height - yet in spite of the deaths (and serious injuries), the craze continues.

8. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

This is an extremely sad story. :tear: I will be praying for the family.:praying:

As someone who works for a theme park all I can say it is amazing how many guests complain and throw fits when they are not permitted to do something for safety reasons. It boggles my mind to hear parents arguing with ride attendants because their children do not reach the height requirement. Do they not realize these requirements are there for a reason? Or my favorite, the people who are foaming at the mouth because some rides are shut down during lightening. I don't know about you, but you have to be CRAZY to want to ride a metal rollercoaster out in the open in the lightening capital of the world during a thunderstorm. :BangHead: