1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Dobson's Obama Hit Backfiring?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After years of attacking Democrats with relative impunity for their supposed moral failings, Evangelical leader James Dobson surely didn't expect to suffer much of a backlash when he trained his sights on Barack Obama. Over the years, the party had practically cowered in fear and gone into radio silence when the head of Focus on the Family targeted one of its standard-bearers. So in a campaign that has already proved to be anything but predictable, the counterattack on Dobson this week epitomized the new, fraught political climate that Christian Right leaders like himself face.
    http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1818313,00.html

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Umm....... no

3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Actually, I feel encouraged by his stand and example.....
    not because I follow Dobson, but because I follow Jesus Christ, and (so far as I'm aware) his refusal to become the poster 'boy' for any of the major candidates and his taking an unwavering stand on what the Bible really says against those in public office who profess publicly their beliefs as 'Christianity' yet are ensnared in false doctrine.

We lost some strong Christian leaders, Fallwell, Kennedy, just last year. Unfortunately, many looked to these leaders for endorsements or approval of candidates.... rather than absorbing their Biblical instruction and recognizing, we are not to put our trust in man, and that words don't count (as in campaign speaches and promises) but actions do.

To Ken..............I find it hard to believe you and your defense of Obama in light of how he has voted and what he has said. You cannot conclude as opinion the quotes of what he has said. His voting record trumps any promises he may give as evidence of his judgement and morale compass.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My admiration has grown with Dr. Dobson over the years. He's one of the last truly big voices calling Christianity to arms.