1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mexico Slams U.S. for Executing Mexican Rapist, Killer

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NUEVO LAREDO, Mexico — Mexico's government condemned Texas' execution of Jose Medellin despite a world court order to review the case, expressing concern for the rights of other Mexicans detained in the United States.

Mexico's Foreign Relations Department said it sent a note of protest to the U.S. State Department about the case, which drew international attention because of allegations that Medellin wasn't allowed to consult the Mexican consulate for legal help following his arrest.

More Here

2. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good For Texas!:thumbs:

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto! :applause:

4. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

How odd that this report comes from Nuevo Laredo and such hypocrisy that they would be concerned about the life of one ruthless killer even as the slaughter of innocent women continue in Nuevo Laredo by drug gangs.

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

Looks like it is easier to execute them them deport them under our current system.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, let's stop for a moment and consider how we\our government would react to the execution of an American citizen who was not given proper access to our diplomats. All Mexico wanted was compliance with the various treaties signed between our countries.

I'm not saying the man didn't get his just desserts. I am saying the State of Texas played it fast and loose with a non-citizen. All they had to do was notify the Mexican consulate. Then, the Lone Star State goes through the trials and then upon conviction and appeals execute him.

Just remember your reactions when one of our citizens isn't allowed consulate services.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Why the delay in requesting the consolate until after all the energy and costs associated with a trial of this Magnitude?

Ahh...Here in lies the rub. This isn't about consulate counsel (which was not invoked until after the death sentence was given) but it is about the death sentence. So the Mexican officials are not being honest about their concerns. And I could care less about them. I am sick and tired of the pass that Mexico gives to those who come into this country and:

#7 Revmitchell, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the hypothetical crime the American citizen committs in your hypothetical country is as heinous as the crime committed by this vermin, they would deserve no different treatment.

Access to a consulate does not change their guilt to innocence.

Illegal aliens should think twice before they commit capital crimes in Texas, consulate involvement or not.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Texas (and the US Supreme Court) got it right.

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never said the man wasn't guilty of the crime as charged or that the appropriate sentence wasn't carried out.

My point is let's not climb over the Mexican government for trying to take care of one of its citizens. I don't think the outcome would be any different if the local DA had called the Mexican counsulate. Again remember this case and the one in Arkansas (I think) when an American gets into trouble and our State Department is left out of the loop.

11. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

Mexico is not concerned with this man. It is a political move, and unfortunately, this case will be used against our States' rights, as we move closer to a North American Union under control of the International Order.