PDA

View Full Version : Does your church have the shaking hands time during the service?

SaggyWoman
08-11-2008, 07:17 AM
During your worship service, does your church schedule time for "shaking hands" or a time of "fellowship"?

If so or not, why so or not?

Crabtownboy
08-11-2008, 07:38 AM
We are small enough that everyone can shakes hands before the service begins and again after the service. :laugh:

Brother Bob
08-11-2008, 08:11 AM
We are small enough that everyone can shakes hands before the service begins and again after the service. :laugh:
Always, several times during a service. Just to make sure we get it right..................:) Sometimes we do the "butt kicking", if we are in a really good mood........:laugh:

BBob,

donnA
08-11-2008, 10:28 AM
always, just before the first song.

webdog
08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
We do...but I can't stand it. For visitors it is uncomfortable. Either they are the spotlight, they don't feel like wandering around shaking hands, or they are ignored,

SBCPreacher
08-11-2008, 11:47 AM
We do every service. There seems to be more neck-hugging than hand-shaking. Our guests are never ignored, but I don't think they're overwhelmed either. We just like fellowship!

StefanM
08-11-2008, 11:53 AM
We do...but I can't stand it. For visitors it is uncomfortable. Either they are the spotlight, they don't feel like wandering around shaking hands, or they are ignored,

I agree. It's contrived pseudo-fellowship. Real fellowship doesn't occur in a 2 minute span.

donnA
08-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Speaking as being visitors recently at a church, we were glad when people accepted our presence and came to shake our hands, nothing uncomfortable about shaking hands with God's people. A church who ignores their visitors has a problem.

donnA
08-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I agree. It's contrived pseudo-fellowship. Real fellowship doesn't occur in a 2 minute span. maybe it's fake in your church, but not mine. People in our church are genuine and don't make it up.

webdog
08-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Speaking as being visitors recently at a church, we were glad when people accepted our presence and came to shake our hands, nothing uncomfortable about shaking hands with God's people. A church who ignores their visitors has a problem.We don't ignor our visitors (hence my use of being in the spotlight, which is an issue in itself).

I have been a visitor, and I have felt uncomfortable. It's not shaking hands with God's people, I don't like a whole crowd coming up to me at once shaking my hand, particularly during flu season.

webdog
08-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Speaking as being visitors recently at a church, we were glad when people accepted our presence and came to shake our hands, nothing uncomfortable about shaking hands with God's people. A church who ignores their visitors has a problem.We don't ignore our visitors (hence my use of being in the spotlight, which is an issue in itself).

I have been a visitor, and I have felt uncomfortable. It's not shaking hands with God's people, I don't like a whole crowd coming up to me at once shaking my hand, particularly during flu season. It's robotic, IMO, and "forced".

rbell
08-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Sometimes we do the "butt kicking", if we are in a really good mood........:laugh:

BBob,

As long as you're Biblical...you know, "turn the other cheek."

:eek: :D

Salty
08-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I voted "other" beacuse, we never do it.

I have been to several churches that do it and I normally do not care for it. What makes it bad is when a person shakes my hand when he is told to - but after the service completely ingnores me!

When someone shakes my hand,(and I certianly enjoy meeting visitors and others) I want to be real, not fake.

Many people might think that there church is friendly, but often its beacuse the members have their own clicks.

Salty

donnA
08-11-2008, 11:18 PM
I wonder, does this include shaking the preachers hand at the end of the service when your going out the door? How fake is that? Totally, he doesn't care to shake all those people's hands, could be a lot fo people. He's being fake.

webdog
08-12-2008, 12:31 AM
I wonder, does this include shaking the preachers hand at the end of the service when your going out the door? How fake is that? Totally, he doesn't care to shake all those people's hands, could be a lot fo people. He's being fake.Our pastor doesn't. He may shake a few hands in the lobby...but he doesn't line up at the door.

I Am Blessed 24
08-12-2008, 07:04 AM
I wonder, does this include shaking the preachers hand at the end of the service when your going out the door? How fake is that? Totally, he doesn't care to shake all those people's hands, could be a lot fo people. He's being fake.

Our pastor stands in the lobby and shakes hands. He always says something personal to everyone he shakes hands with . I wouldn't call that fake. He genuinely loves his flock.

SaggyWoman
08-12-2008, 07:26 AM

Not every pastor does this. Maybe you should find a church where the pastor doesn't.

Brother Bob
08-12-2008, 08:38 AM
As long as you're Biblical...you know, "turn the other cheek."

:eek: :D
We always try and let "our little light shine"......:laugh:

BBob,

4His_glory
08-14-2008, 05:54 PM
No. Here it is custom to great one another as soon as they come into the room.

...and it usually involves more than a hand shake. lol. Lets just say when Paul spoke of a holy kiss, we know of what he was talking about.

Jimmy Clifton
08-14-2008, 07:32 PM
We are members of a small SBC congregation. We shake and hug before and after service.

FriendofSpurgeon
08-14-2008, 08:34 PM
No. Here it is custom to great one another as soon as they come into the room.

...and it usually involves more than a hand shake. lol. Lets just say when Paul spoke of a holy kiss, we know of what he was talking about.

Yes, love the Latin American thing here too.

Whowillgo
08-15-2008, 12:55 AM
We always do it, I as the Pastor bust through any traffic jams. I have had more than one visitor come back the next Sunday and tell me we are back because of the obvious love here. (Naturally I thought they were back for the great preaching and immediately asked them to leave, Haha)

PJ
08-15-2008, 11:50 AM
It's geared somewhat different in our services, and I generally don't care for it. In my observance, some folks feel forced. It's not hard to tell which visitors would rather not.

I'm speaking of during the worship service, which is not the same as shaking hands with the pastor following the service.

billwald
08-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Yes, and I hate it.

Salty
08-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Yes, and I hate it.

I have been known to sit in the back of the church and during the "hand shaking" sacrament, I would walk out into the hallway for a drink of water, ect

Pastor Larry
08-16-2008, 12:16 PM
We shake and hug before and after service.Hopefully not at the same time. Someone might think you are dancing.

givengrace
08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Hopefully not at the same time. Someone might think you are dancing.

Hey!! You made a funny!! :laugh: I didn't think you had it in ya!!:wavey:

Brother Bob
08-17-2008, 10:54 AM
As I stated before, we go more for the butt kicking than anything..................:laugh:

FriendofSpurgeon
08-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Yes and no.

Yes. We do have a time of greeting, this usually happens right after the announcements. Personally, I like it as it gives you the chance to greet others you may not have seen earlier & to say hello to those you may not know.

No. It is not "during" the worship. We normally have a Call to Worship, which technically begins the worship service.

superwoman8977
08-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Yes they do and I cannot stand it. I am not a very outgoing person and it all seems so fake to me. I just stand there, a couple of times I have actually just shook a couple hands and sat back down at my seat. I talk to those who are my friends before and after the service. Just like I went back home to my moms church this weekend and their out door service and they had "greetin time" and I was lucky if I had 2 people come near me and shake my hands although I got 2 momster bear hugs from my boys..that made my day!

abcgrad94
08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
We always have a "greeting" time where we shake hands and welcome visitors, etc. It's not fake or forced, in fact our little church is genuine and friendly. We once visited a church where no one bothered to shake our hands or introduce themselves or even speak. It was like they ignored us on purpose. We didn't feel welcome at all and never went back.

Gwyneth
08-21-2008, 06:21 PM
After the evening service , only, we have a time of fellowship. This does not involve any handshaking/hugging etc. though. During the announcements, the pastor welcomes all visitors/newcomers and invites them to stay behind with us after the service and join us in a cup of tea and a biscuit, then they get to meet the congregation.
Once when we were on holiday in South of England, we went to a church where , there was lots of hugging and handshaking and holding hands. If we ever visit that place again we`ll probabably avoid that particular church.