PDA

View Full Version : What Bible software do pastors use most frequently?

webdog
09-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm looking into really studying scripture heavy and was wondering what software would you recommend. I would like something with muliple translations, commentaries, dictionaries, greek and hebrew lexicons, and biblical cross references. I'm not a computer genius, so user friendly is a must.

C4K
09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
E-sword is free and a fantastic tool. IMHO the best free tool out there - VERY easy to use and MANY features avaibable for free download.

TomVols
09-12-2005, 04:24 PM
The best, bar none, is Online Bible (www.onlinebible.net) I have found it to be as powerful as the Logos high ends, yet better and easier and more powerful than E-Sword. Online Bible can be downloaded for free, but I advise getting the CDROM. I think it has more on it than the download.

exscentric
09-12-2005, 05:23 PM
I, personally, found online bible clunky and esword very smooth and nice to use.

For the pocket pc, esword is best because it is free, but olivetree.com is awesome as well, but is getting costly lately. I will say that esword is a large program and takes a moment or two to load on the ppc but does work nicely.

j_barner2000
09-12-2005, 05:55 PM
I have been using e-sword for about 5 years and it started better than the pc study bible i had. It is much better in the current rev. than before. I reccomend downloading the base program and all of the modules you will use and burning them to a cd, then installing it. As a professional computer nerd I have seen too many folks lose too much valuable data and software by failing to make backups. BACK-UP, BACK_UP BACK_UP

webdog
09-12-2005, 09:14 PM
What are the best commentaries to download on e-sword? What are some of the good "extras" and "gotta have's" that e-sword offers keeping in mind I do not consider myself neither a calvinist nor arminian, but lean more toward free grace.

bruren777
09-13-2005, 12:19 AM
*bluletterbible.com
*esword.com
*biblegateway.com
*backtothebible.org/challenge
*faithcommunitynetwork.com
*studybibleforum.com

I hope this helps!
smile.gif graemlins/type.gif graemlins/thumbs.gif :D

gb93433
09-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Gramcord from www.gramcord.org (http://www.gramcord.org)

Pastor Larry
09-13-2005, 12:43 PM
If you are going to do serious grammatical study, then you need BibleWorks. The diagramming, complex search features, and other features make it the best software, IMO. I thought Logos was horrible to use and expensive. The others like Online Bible and Esword are limited in capacity.

Brother Ian
09-17-2005, 04:16 PM
I love my Online Bible.

Plain Old Bill
09-24-2005, 02:05 AM
My two favorites are e-sword.net and biblecentre.net. They are both free and have many fine resources.It is true there are many fine resources on the net but if I could only have two these are the ones I would get.

tinytim
10-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by webdog:
What are the best commentaries to download on e-sword? What are some of the good "extras" and "gotta have's" that e-sword offers keeping in mind I do not consider myself neither a calvinist nor arminian, but lean more toward free grace. There is stuff for everyone at e-sword.net. I have been using version 6, and i just installed the latest updates, and they are wonderful.
I also use online bible, but I find myself on e-sword more. I even use e-sword to prepare my sermons in the topic section, since it is a mini-word processor

Deacon
10-09-2005, 07:22 AM
LIBRONIX (http://www.logos.com/products/details/1921) (Logos) is without a doubt the easiest, the best and has the largest amount of both old and modern computerized research material.

It has one downside though, it's pricy.
They do sell a stripped down version but it doesn't have the features that make the program excellent. To purchase a full program now would cost close to $600.
It offers add on books weekly for a price; only add them if they appeal to you.

Libronix outpaces the on-line versions in availability, speed, versitility, you name it.

Word studies on every text, in English, Hebrew or Greek (or any other language-you pick the text) are available at a click.

Rob

MikeinGhana
10-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Online Bible for Mac has a great function caled Comand Shift 7 which inserts the text right into any word processing document without even opening the program. If you do any amount of writing this is worth the "clunkiness" mentioned above. Without the CD the commentaries are a bit limited. I use both Mac and PC. I find Power Bible to be a very good program for the PC. I just downloaded OLB for my PC but have not really used it too much yet.

Broadus
10-14-2005, 05:21 PM
I second BibleWorks 6.0 if you do a lot of exegetical work. It is very powerful, yet fairly streamlined. It, too, is pricey, though.

Gramcord is good, but I'm not sure where it's headed in its development. Not a whole lot appears to have happened over the past few years, unless I've missed something.

E-Sword is certainly good, and the price cannot be beat. Great add-ons. I used both BW and e-Sword.

Bill

Trotter
10-15-2005, 12:08 AM
I pull up e-Sword for most things.

As for commentaries and the like, I use:
Barnes
Clarke
Gill
Jameson, Faussett, Brown
Scofield
Robinson Word Pictures
Vincent's Word Studies
Geneva notes
Wesley
Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge
Brown-Driver-Briggs
Faussett's dictionary
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
Thayer's Greek
Treasury of David
and 11 translations.

In Christ,
Trotter

TomVols
10-19-2005, 07:51 PM
E-Sword is clunky and not very smooth. Online Bible beats it by a mile. I'd love to have Gramcord and Bibleworks. heck, I'd love to be able to AFFORD those smile.gif

Pastor Keith
10-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I , too, have tried a number of freeware Bible Study programs, and I like e-Sword the best. I use it constantly in conjunction with BibleWorks 6.0.

I also refer frequently to the NET Bible translation and notes. It is also available for free download.

Soulman
10-27-2005, 04:13 AM
I have been using Power Bible. They own e-sword. You can purchase it online at http://www.powerbible.com/ You can buy 1 cd for $10.00. This is the best program I have ever used.

Here is what you get: Power BibleCD 4.3 CD-ROM contents

English Bible texts:

King James Version with Greek and Hebrew Interlinear Text
Modern King James
New King James Version
American Standard Version
Bible in Basic English
Darby's Translation
Montgomery's New Testament
Twentieth Century New Testament
Revised Standard Version
Weymouth's New Testament
Young's Literal Translation
World English Bible
English Bible texts requiring unlock fees to publishers:

New International Version. ($16.00)
New American Standard Bible and New American Standard 1995 Update ($16.00)
New Revised Standard Version. ($5.00)
Non-English Bible Texts:

1912 Luther Bible (German)
1910 Louis Segond Version (French)
Reina-Valera (Spanish) 1909
Reina-Valera (Spanish) 1865
Reina-Valera Actualizda (Spanish)
Greek Textus Receptus
Commentaries:

Spurgeon's commentary on Matthew
Spurgeon's Devotional Bible commentary
Adam Clarke's Commentary
Albert Barnes NT Commentary
Family Bible Notes
1599 Geneva Bible Notes
John Wesley's Notes on the Whole Bible
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
Matthew Henry's Exhaustive Commentary
People's New Testament Commentary
A.T. Robertson's NT Word Pictures
Fourfold Gospel
C.H. Spurgeon's Treasury of David (Psalms)
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
William Burkitt's NT Notes
JFB Commentary
Teacher's commentary
Matthew Poole's commentary
British Family Bible commentary. Matthew through Revelation complete.
Dictionaries:

Easton's Bible Dictionary
Smith's Bible Dictionary
American Tract Society Dictionary of the Holy Bible
Strong's Greek and Hebrew Lexicons
Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
Topical References:

Spurgeon's Morning and Evening Devotional
Bagster Daily Light
Thompson Chain Topics
Every Day Life Reference
Nave's Topical Bible
2770 Sermon Topics
Torrey's Topical Textbook

exscentric
10-27-2005, 09:31 AM
"They own e-sword."

Can you tell us how you know this, e-sword has been independent for quite some time and run as a ministry last I knew. Would be very interested in knowing details if this is something new.

from e-sword: "I am happy to provide a blessing to others in the form of free Bible study software!" "If this ministry blesses you, are you willing to join me in it?"

I noticed Olivetree is going commercial with cdrom offerings, and have moved from Oregon to other digs elsewhere :-( hate to see them go both from Oregon, as well as from the free side of things.

Maverick
11-11-2005, 02:50 AM
I have PC Study Bible and the Logos Scholar's Edition

C4K
11-11-2005, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Pastor Larry:
If you are going to do serious grammatical study, then you need BibleWorks. The diagramming, complex search features, and other features make it the best software, IMO. I thought Logos was horrible to use and expensive. The others like Online Bible and Esword are limited in capacity. Ah yes, BibleWorks is the best, one day I would love to be able to buy it.

John of Japan
11-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Frank across town (with our board, C4K) recently was given BibleWorks. I found it to be very powerful but very user-unfriendly.

Same with Bibloi (used to be Bible Windows). I bought it, and it is very powerful but user-unfriendly.

Like Soulman, I like Power Bible. It is the most user-friendly Bible software I have.

Does anyone else use Seedmaster? This is a freebie that can be found on the Internet. It was the original to Gramcord but is now freeware. As Bible programs go, it is so-so, but did I mention it was free? And it gives you Thayer's definitions and parses all the verbs.

C4K
11-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Verb parsing is the one thing I miss on e-sword. I may need to have a look.

StefanM
11-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by C4K:
Verb parsing is the one thing I miss on e-sword. I may need to have a look. The verbs are parsed on some of the Greek texts on e-sword.

C4K
11-11-2005, 10:32 AM
I guess I have missed that Stefan. I use e-wsord all of the time. Where are they parsed? That'll be great to have.

exscentric
11-11-2005, 05:14 PM
http://www.e-sword.net/usermods/ about half way down, and there is another module you need, noted with the king james with verb tenses.

Very handy as you anticipated.

I used seedmaster till it became Bible companion and they sold it and it kind of waffled after another sale, don't know if anyone owns it anymore or not. I still use it with esword.

C4K
11-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks - found it an downloading. That was my ONLY problem with e-sword! You've made my day smile.gif . No, you have made my week!

Downloaded!

Thank you, gracie, gracias, danke, go raibh maith agat, merci!! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/party/party-smiley-020.gif

[ November 11, 2005, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: C4K ]

C4K
11-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Wait a minute, am I allowed to dance in this forum ;) ?

Plain Old Bill
11-11-2005, 07:23 PM
You may dance shortly after you are slain in the Spirit by benny hinn.

Hey guys I found another place with a ton of resources. http://www.discipleshiplibrary.com

try the resources and links.I think you will like them.

El_Guero
11-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Dancing?

Plain Old Bill
11-11-2005, 07:42 PM
In fact if you have:
e-sword
biblecentre.net
ntgateway.com
otgateway.com
discipleshiplibrary.com
bible.org
You will have a very powerful set of resources at the tip of your fingers.With these six sites alone you will have almost every type of resource you could want both old and new.

uhdum
11-11-2005, 09:35 PM
I use WordSearch (http://www.wordsearchbible.com/)... 5.0 I believe... I have yet to upgrade.

My dad bought it for me at a conference at Saddleback Church in California in the form of the "Rick Warren Bible Library." It contains around 20 translations, numerous dictionaries, encyclopedias, and commentaries.

However, I do like E-Sword's ease of use. WordSearch (at least version 5) can be a little clunky at times.

Squire Robertsson
11-12-2005, 01:17 AM
I use a downloaded On-line Bible. But then I work lightly in Greek but need access to a Russian Synodical Version for cutting and pasting. Praise the Lord for the BJU students who matched the Russian text to Strongs numbers. graemlins/type.gif

C4K
11-12-2005, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by El_Guero:
Dancing? Sorry, in one of my posts I had little smilies dancing with glee cause someone showed me an add on to e-sword that does simple verb parsing smile.gif

mioque
11-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Our junior pastor uses e-Sword from time to time.
Our senior pastor has no clue whatsoever when it comes to computers, so for him it's notepad and Nestle-Aland on his desk and a dozen commentaries scattered on the floor.
smile.gif :rolleyes:

C4K
11-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Man do I remember those days - I think, just perhaps, working that little bit harder was good for me.

exscentric
11-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Remember well the first NT I got on floppy disk and thought I had it all! :D

gb93433
11-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by C4K:
Wait a minute, am I allowed to dance in this forum ;) ? Maybe not according to man, but with God there is a time to dance (Eccl. 3:4.

gb93433
11-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by mioque:
Our senior pastor has no clue whatsoever when it comes to computers, so for him it's notepad and Nestle-Aland on his desk and a dozen commentaries scattered on the floor.
It is amazing how much faster one can read books than what is on the computer screen.

Phillip
11-14-2005, 03:38 AM
My pastor uses online Bible; but, when I am teaching classes (I'm not a preacher), I use e-sword for cross-referencing. I like e-sword because it has many versions that are free compared to some of the other packages--including excellent Greek and Hebrew packages.

Although online Bible may do the same thing, I think e-sword is a bit more user friendly and I love its capability of verse comparison using every translation or language loaded.

It is one of the first Bible programs to provide the ESV and Holman free of charge--Plus, it also has the actual KJV1611 and Geneva for direct comparison.

What you say is very true gb93433. I usually wind up printing pages that I want to study. But, the computer allows me to locate the material using searches that are so much easier than the old manual way.

Just my .02.