PDA

View Full Version : free chick tracts

stubbornboy
08-29-2002, 11:33 PM
im obsses with jack chick comics&tracts wer could i get free copies of those

rsr
08-30-2002, 12:26 AM
You don't want copies of those. They're full of heresy. Try the International Bible Society.

Maverick
08-30-2002, 12:43 AM
Easy Okie boy, they are not heretical. He may include some things that I would not say to some folks that I was trying to win to Christ, but the plan of salvation is clear and a great many people get saved through his ministry. American Tract does have some good stuff at least if they are the ones with the KJV in them. The other versions degrade the tract, but again the plan of salvation has always been clear in the ones that I have seen.

By the way, keep looking at his webpage as he allows you to read the latest tract and some other things.

Bro. Curtis
08-30-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by rsr:
You don't want copies of those. They're full of heresy. Try the International Bible Society.Perhaps you could show us one full of heresy.....

rsr
08-30-2002, 01:24 AM
No, they're full of lies and half-truths.

Okie is a badge of honor. But I'm not a BOY. Show some respect, if that's possible for a Texan.

Bro. Curtis
08-30-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by rsr:

No, they're full of lies and half-truths.

Then show us one. I agree thatsome of them are harsh, and you should not show some of them to non-christians, but I don't think I have seen one lie.

rsr
08-30-2002, 01:57 AM
http://www.chick.com/information/bibleversions/

Bro. Curtis
08-30-2002, 02:02 AM
AHH, I forgot about that KJV thing. Thanx.

I will say that I'm not the world's biggest NIV fan. Some of the NIV critics have said some pretty nasty things about it, and have backed it up. Seems like a lot of KJVO Nazis concentrate on the NIV, and don't have much to say about the others, like the NAS, which I have heard some very good stuff about.

Thanx again, I hope I didn't come off like a jerk.

[ August 30, 2002, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Curtis ]

ChristianCynic
08-30-2002, 03:48 AM
I don't know what you want with these Jack Snot tracts, but the URL has already been supplied.

I see you are in the Philippines, and I know there are many dedicated Christians there, but they are in the minority. I had a penpal there, a seminary instructor and grad student whose friendship I valued very much. She was stabbed to death by a robber in her home in Dagupan City in June. I was really looking forward to her coming to America within the next year or 2, which was one of her fondest wishes. I miss her correspondence, but you and all believers in that part of the world are in my prayers.

Bro. Curtis
08-30-2002, 06:30 AM
Well, I went over what you gave me. I'll post a few quotes....

Question: Can I read the NIV and still be saved?

Salvation is based on the shed blood of our precious Lord and Saviour, God the Son and Son of God, Jesus Christ, and faith in His atoning death. It is NEVER based upon a preference of book reading! If anyone has said that, then almost all of us at Chick Publications would be going to hell, for having read the "other" Bibles.

And this here....

In other places, the NIV seems to be chipping away at the doctrine of the deity of Christ. In Rev. 1:13 John saw, in the midst of the candlesticks, "Someone like a son of man" (NIV) instead of "One like unto the Son of man" (KJV). The "judgement seat of Christ" in Rom. 14:10 (KJV) becomes "God's judgement seat" (NIV). In Acts 3:13, God's "Son Jesus" becomes "servant Jesus." In his book, If The Foundations Be Destroyed, Salliby lists nearly 150 verses which have been altered or simply left out.

With all due respect, I see opinions that everybody might not agree with, but I see no lies. I know a lot of folks don't like Jack Chick, because he is so blunt. And I also will say that there are other great tracts put out by other companies. But I don't think we should discourage folks from getting them just because we don't like them.

rsr
08-30-2002, 01:09 PM
Mr. Curtis:

I appreciate your spirit, on this thread and others.

I broke a rule of mine and posted immediately without waiting a few minutes to consider.

I also wish I hadn't used the word heresy because it's overused on this board to mean simply "something I disagree with."

I grew up on Chick tracts; I had them all. But I think they contain misinformation and are mean-spirited.

Thanks for your patience.

BrianT
08-30-2002, 03:29 PM
I have a copy of his tract "The Attack" which deals with the Bible version issue. This tract is aptly named, because in it Chick attacks anyone and everyone not KJV-only. The tract also contains factual falsehoods, but I cannot say for certain if they are intentional or not (although I have my suspicions).

Personally, although he usually presents the gospel message, I cannot read a Chick tract without being offended in one way or another, as well as embarrased that these tracts are the only view of "Christian" some people will ever see. I find Chick entirely frustrating, and would never use one of his tracts.

Dr. Bob
09-02-2002, 01:11 AM
Unless one is blind or just "off the boat" it is easy to pick almost any Chick tract and find it crude, offensive, often lying or misrepresenting and twisting facts beyond recognition, and not appealing to me at all.

BUT to the "comic book generation", many hear the Gospel message through them. I will not throw the baby out with the bathwater. While I would not personally read them or use them, God will use the faithful declaration of His Word to give faith to man.

There are, however, many better alternatives IMHO.

[ September 02, 2002, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

Baptist Believer
09-02-2002, 01:34 AM
Does anyone remember the Jack Chick tract, "Kings of the East" that told about how the Red Chinese were building a superhighway toward Israel that would be complete in a few years (somewhere around 1980-1981) that would literally pave the way for an attack on Israel that would lead to the return of Christ?

The evening I gave my life to Christ in 1979, the counselor gave me that tract and told me to study it. Of course the attack didn't happen and I haven't been able to find that tract from Jack Chick listed anymore...

Anyone else remember it?

Bugman
09-02-2002, 04:23 PM
Chick tracks are fun to read, I always laugh at the 2-3 panel conversion at the end of the tracks. So realistics they are smile.gif

If a person coem to know Christ through one of the tracks it jsut shows that God can work through any meansd to bring a person to Him.

Bryan

SaggyWoman
09-02-2002, 04:31 PM
I read chick tracts growing up.

I became disoriented with them when I found they were almost vindictively KJV only. Not that I don't like KJV, but it seemed like an ugly tendency on their part.

Mike McK
09-02-2002, 04:59 PM
I find it interesting that in Jack Chick's world, every gay person is a child molestor and every priest is drawn with a demon sitting on his shoulder.

Jack Chick is a hateful, bitter and petty little man. Maybe if we all ignore him, he'll just go away.

I wouldn't ever question anyone's salvation, but I don't understand how someone who has met the true and risen Christ can be be filled with so much hatred and anger.

As for his "heresies", there's much to argue about in a Chick tract, but most of it is "non-essential". Where Chick does lose me and, I think, many others is that, like cults, he includes just enough truth to be dangerous and then treks off into his own little venom-filled ranting.

Mike

susanpet
09-02-2002, 07:13 PM
What's wrong with Chick tracts promoting KJV only? It is the word of God, is it not?
At least he doesn't sugar-coat the gospel. I think his messages are a way to get people's attention.
I can't say anything against them because someone put one on my windshield many yrs. ago. The car next to me had one and this person tossed in on the ground. I read mine. And it planted a seed that got me concerned about my soul.
Just read all the feedback they get from people getting saved thru them.
Someone mentioned that they didn't like the way Jack Chick portrays homosexuals. How should they be portrayed? As a loving parent to a child? As a devoted spouse to their mate? Their sin is an abomination! This world is getting too conditioned to Christians turning the other cheek. We need to tell the world that sin is sin. America is going to pay dearly, I am afraid, for their stand for homosexuals. Of course we all are sinners before salvation, but the way you can't say anything about their lifestlye without being accused of a hate crime, and say anything about Jesus and you get censored.
Yes, this is one topic that gets my goat!! Now they can get benefits for their "mate" at their place of employment. Yep, let's reap all kinds of rewards on them. Let's all approve of their lifestyle. Hey, to each his own, right? Let's keep on telling the world that it is alright to live with your own kind. They can't help it, they were born that way.
God help us.
Susan

Mike McK
09-02-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by susanpet:
Someone mentioned that they didn't like the way Jack Chick portrays homosexuals. How should they be portrayed? As a loving parent to a child? As a devoted spouse to their mate?That was me who said that.

Would it really be so bad for Christians to acknowledge that gays love their children, too, or that many gays are devoted to their spouses?

After all, many are.

I'm not defending homosexuality, itself, rather, my point is that it is wrong for Chick to portray all gays as child molestors or potential child molestors.

If you're going to do that then why not be consistent and portray blacks as being lazy and stupid, Jews as being greedy and Chinese people as being stereotypical laundry washers?

Not only is such a stereotype ignorant and hurtful to those we are supposedly trying to reach, it also casts doubt on our credibility when we show such a deliberate misunderstanding of gays.

Their sin is an abomination!Absolutely. My point isn't that gay is OK. The Bible is quite clear what God thinks of homosexuality.

No, my point was that drawing such a broad charicature of gays is just plain mean and has nothing to do with spreading the Gospel.

Mike

[ September 02, 2002, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

go2church
09-02-2002, 11:54 PM
Smoke,
I couldn't agree more. I think if someone promoting this type of "stereotyping" behavior actually talked to someone that was gay they would find this out for themselves.

Bro. Curtis
09-03-2002, 01:04 AM
I will agree that some Chick tracts seem mean. But I haven't seen the one where all gay people are called child-molestors. I have seen anti-gay tracts, but not the one you mention. I have seen hundreds, and while I wouldn't pass everyone of them out, I haven't seen one out and out lie, not yet. While the tracts speaking out against the RCC are harsh, they are true. But if I was witnessing to a Catholic, I would try to be a little more tactful, but the Chick tracts tell it like it is, the RCC won't save you.

Speedpass
09-03-2002, 04:14 PM
Years ago I read a Chick tract which had to do with a rich man on the Titanic more concerned with worldly wealth rather than eternal salvation. We all know the rest of the story...

Ransom
09-05-2002, 07:44 PM
Baptist Believer, on "Kings of the East":

Anyone else remember it?

Yeah, actually that one and "Somebody Loves You" were the first two Chick tracts I ever saw, probably around 1980 or so when I was about 10. One thing I remember most clearly was one graphic photo of horses standing in blood up to their bridles with the expected this-is-what-will-happen copy. It wasn't until years later I discovered that the "blood" in Revelation was in the context of a symbolic vision and had come out of the "grapes of wrath"! smile.gif

Susanpet asked:

What's wrong with Chick tracts promoting KJV only?

Nothing at all. If you like the KJV, it's certainly better than nothing.

I can't completely dismiss Jack Chick. He's a fixture of pop culture, having introduced two indispensable idioms to the English language: "Haw haw!" and "YAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

My favourite tract of his is Boo! (http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0058/0058_01.asp) - a hilarious rant on Halowe'en in which, for no apparent reason, Satan dons a pumpkin head and goes on a killing spree with a chainsaw. As an added bonus, someone says both "Haw haw!" and "YAAAAAAAAA!" Great stuff. (Who needs drugs?)

[ September 05, 2002, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]

Mike McK
09-05-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Ransom:
I can't completely dismiss Jack Chick. He's a fixture of pop culture, having introduced two indispensable idioms to the English language: "Haw haw!" and "YAAAAAAAAA!!!!"I always wondered about this. Other than Willie Dixon and Muddy Waters, I've never heard anyone actually say "Haw haw!

Mike

Baptist Believer
09-05-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Ransom:
Baptist Believer, on "Kings of the East":

Anyone else remember it?

Yeah, actually that one and "Somebody Loves You" were the first two Chick tracts I ever saw, probably around 1980 or so when I was about 10. One thing I remember most clearly was one graphic photo of horses standing in blood up to their bridles with the expected this-is-what-will-happen copy. It wasn't until years later I discovered that the "blood" in Revelation was in the context of a symbolic vision and had come out of the "grapes of wrath"! smile.gif
Oh yeah! I remember that illustration... I wish I had a copy of that thing... Jack Chick came very close to date-setting with that one. I guess that's why I can't find it anymore. :D

Bro. Curtis
09-06-2002, 02:38 AM
Herein lies the problem with Cristian message boards. Somebody asks a question, and has to put up with two pages of ridicule. Why can't you say "I don't like them", instead of claiming to have read one 20 years ago that made you laugh. Why can't you post one and tell us what you don't like about them. Stop the generalizing, and try to put some intelligent input on here.

Mike McK
09-06-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Curtis:
Why can't you say "I don't like them", instead of claiming to have read one 20 years ago that made you laugh.Curtis, I read one Tuesday that made me laugh.

Mike

Ransom
09-06-2002, 12:23 PM
Mr. Curtis said:

Stop the generalizing, and try to put some intelligent input on here.

What's "generalizing" about people talking about a specific tract, nay, a specific illustration in that specific tract, or saying that the "conversion" part of Chick's stories is funny?

Sounds pretty specific to me.

Other specific things about Chick tracts that make me laugh:

</font> strategically drawn leaves, body parts, etc. that hide Adam and Eve's naughty bits</font> condemned sinners being thrown screaming into the abyss</font> God portrayed as a judge with a light bulb for a head, sitting on a giant throne</font> angels conveying people's naked souls to the final judgment</font> loony conspiracy theories, particularly the anti-Catholic ones that look like they were taken from sensationalist trash such as Hislop's Two Babylons</font> the title of the tract "The Death Cookie" (about the Mass)</font> the guy in "This Was Your Life" who says "Whaaa?", drops his pipe and drink, then dies of a heart attack</font>

mozier
09-12-2002, 02:40 PM
There is a wonderful website, run by an Episcopal gentleman in Tallahassee, Florida, called "The Jack Chick Museum of Fine Art." The website is: http://members.aol.com/monsterwax/chick.html

The site is a tribute site to Jack Chick and to his artwork. It is NOT pro-Jack, though, but neither is it anti-Jack. Simply, it is just a site of appreciation for those who have either gotten saved through Chick tracts or have been repulsed by them. The site is a good laugh for many hours, so I highly recommend a visit. Keep in mind, though, that the site is in no way affiliated with Jack Chick or his organization.

I would like to add what I like best about Jack Chick's work: his class envy. Throughout his comics and writings, he plays constantly on this. The rich are almost always portrayed as either atheists or mainline Protestants who are more concerned about their donations to the church building fund being recognized, than they do about the actual gospel. The poor are usually portrayed as the saved ones, fundamentalists who nevertheless are either servants or drive broken-down trucks or are widows who are raising their grandchildren. The former usally end up at the eternal luau in the Lake of Fire, while the latter are welcomed into paradise by the gigantic Jesus with the glowing light-bulb head. Haw, haw, haw!

But seriously, I do like Chick tracts, myself. In fact, they were instrumental in my own salvation. So I would not knock them as such. And though I am certainly no fan of the Roman Catholic Institution (former RC), I do see that he gets too much wrong about it. But still, I do give credit to him in highlighting it for what it is. So if Jack Chick's work does lead those to Christ, then I am all for it. And besides, anyone whose work is actually banned by the Canadian government cannot be all bad! ;)

mozier