1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you boycotting Disney and why?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Acebopata, Apr 21, 2012.

?
  1. Yes, for the Agenda they promote

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Yes, for the numorious suliminal messages in their movies

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. I'm thinking about boycotting Disney.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Why should I boycott Disney

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. No, I am not boycotting disney

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  6. Why I'd never boycott Disney

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Acebopata

Acebopata New Member

Have you heard about the Disney boycott? Comment and chat about it, but please keep it forum appropriate.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not "boycotting" them but I have no interest in what they put out so we don't purchase anything by them.

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

What she said!! :thumbsup:

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen the video about the subliminal letters - "s" "e" and "x" - spelled out throughout the video of Beauty and the Beast and honestly......

Who has that much time on their hands to look through a film frame by frame and pour for hours over each frame to find those letters spelled by oddly shaped leaves and ornamentation?

I couldn't even SEE it until they wrote over it with a marker and highlighted and then when they took the highlight off, I still couldn't see it. It's only visible when a frame is stilled and someone draws over it. The letters are so small and bizarrely shaped and not even in alignment with each other.

I'm sure that I could take a photograph of my azalea bushes in my front yard and blow up the picture and take a marker and "find" all sorts of things.

Is it some kind of intentional joke to interject the word in the background? I don't know. I just know that I don't see it until someone had to literally draw me a picture.

All I know is subliminal has to be a whole lot more obvious than that to even be subliminal! :laugh: :laugh:

Oh - I don't boycott Disney, but I will watch a movie or two when they come out on pay-per-view. I won't be attending Disneyland because I'm not into those kinds of vacations.

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Why Scarlett! Are you telling me that I'm supposed to be boycotting Disney because 20 odd years ago someone supposedly put subliminal messages into a kid film that might encourage them to procreate before their time?? And in 20 years no one has done a study to prove this actually happened (or could plausibly happen)??

Hadn't heard that one. Figured I was still supposed to boycott them because about the same length of time ago they began offering health insurance to non married companions of their employees (namely those who happen to be in a same gender relationship).

Oh wait. I didn't boycott them then either.......

6. Acebopata

Acebopata New Member

The reason I began to boycott Disney was because of the subliminal in the movie, "The Adventurers."

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Except it doesn't actually spell out SEX. (Why is "sex" considered a dirty word anyway?)

It actually spells out SFX, as an industry abbreviation for "special effects."

People who are obsessed and/or mentally ill.

8. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

Just like anything, I'll look at anything on an individual and case by case basis.

If they put out a movie I like, great. If not, no.

So until the company really comes out with any kind of a campaign/slogan that I firmly disagree with, I don't give it a ton of thought.

9. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I was born with a mental illness and recieve disability for it.....but i don't do that.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

John

10. seekingthetruth

Do you think that people with mental illnesses are bad? Do you think it's their fault?

Ok, I will start another thread to discuss this.

john

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember a long time ago when the SBC was meeting in Orlando and the vote was taken to join in the boycott of Disney. The day after the convention dismissed, the Magic Kingdom was filled with baptist preachers and their families.

I hadn't heard of a new boycott of disney, but i won't be joining it.

12. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Are you speaking of the AFA boycott of Disney because of their support of Gay Pride Days at their parks?

13. menageriekeeper

Disney holds g*y pride days so the rest of us don't have to be there! ;)

14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

no, I am not boycotting disney. I am not rushing out to give them my money either.

BTW, sex is a gift from God that creates unity in marriage, guards us against sin, and can bring us the joy of children as His plan to populate the earth, and it brings us pleasure. It should noted that of all the reasons God gave us sex only pleasure was given an entire book of the Bible to illustrate godly passion to us. Sex should not be treated as taboo. It should be preached on more so people can know what God says about it and enjoy it in a way that honors Him.

15. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Does boycotting them mean we've been watching the nonsense they've been putting out and now we're going to stop?

Please.

They've been putting out trash for years. Believers should've put an end to tolerating their garbage years ago. Why boycott them now, when this has been the case for them for many years, and why do we need to watch movies, TV shows in the first place?

16. seekingthetruth

When I was a child we could watch all of the Disney movies that came out, but that is not the case today. "R-rated Disney movie" sounds like an oxymoron, but unfortunately it's not.

John

17. menageriekeeper

Old Walt had a different idea of "wholesome family fun" for sure.

However, if I don't like something Disney puts out I simply don't buy/watch it. If I was African American, I'd have been insulted by the Princess and the Frog (some such title), since I'm not I was disgusted instead, turned it off about midway through and was glad I didn't have little children to try to explain what was wrong with it. My older kids were like eeeww, no explainations necessary.

One Disney product doesn't have to spoil the rest in my opinion. Chew the meat, spit out the bones.

18. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just wondering... what "R" rated Disney movies are there?

19. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessarily. Some people give themselves mental illnesses through abuse of their body or through indulgence in sin. Others have mental illnesses because of bodily imbalances or from the abuse/sin of others that has been inflicted upon them.

People are "bad" when they do bad things.

Just like anyone else, a person with a mental illness is morally neutral until they act... then it is good, bad, or something that is mixed.

Sometimes. Often it is not. They do have the responsibility to seek help, but those who are around them have even more responsibility to attempt to help them.

I would prefer not to be a part of it. It usually degenerates into ill-informed, half-witted bickering.

I know plenty of people with mental illness and have suffered from depression from time-to-time. I do not have an agenda against folks who suffer from mental illness.

20. seekingthetruth

Touchstone, Miramax, and Hollywood Pictures (all subsidiaries of the Walt Disney Company) have released a number of R rated films. The first was Down and Out in Beverly Hills (1986) from Touchstone.

Disney produces and releases R-rated movies, just not under the Disney logo...however these are still the Disney Company.

"Pirates of the Carribean" films are released under the Disney logo and are rated PG-13, but the material is not fit for children, even ones over 13.

John