1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Progressive vs. Classical Dispensationalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Oct 10, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I bought a book called Dispensationalism by Charles Ryrie. It appears to be a graduate level read and has been around since 1966, however the version I have has ben updated to include a chapter on Progressive Dispensationalism. If I remember we studied this briefly in Eschatology in seminary however it was only brief as far more detail was given in the class on the Church or Ecclesiology. They read a book that was authored by Saucy whom I believe is a progressive Dispensationalist. I am tempted to do a google search, however I would get 50 different answers and definitions on progressive dispensationalism. I did not fully comprehend the chapter on the topic so may need to read it again. But can someone tell me what it is and how it is different from classical dispensationalism?

John

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It appears to me that the major difference is that progressive dispensationalists do not view the Church as a "Mystery Parenthesis" in God's plan for Israel.

Seems to me Ryrie does a pretty good job of presenting the differences between the two doctrines.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Classic Dispy at times viewed the jews still saved under/by Covenant of the Law, while Gentiles now saved under new Covenant...

Classic Dispy at timesalso saw the church as brought into existence after isreal rejected jesus as messiah, as a secondary thought and plan...

Also, most classic Dispy see a pre trib pre mill second coming, with multiple "raptures/resurrections" happening in future

many in the Progressive movement see the Church has ALWAYS part of the eternal plans of God, as God always had a seperate agenda for Isreal/Church, many see that BOTH jews/gentiles under new covenant fior today, while many have gone to more viewing end times on a Historical pre Mil view, or at least debating the timing of the rapture!

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Progressives agree with Traditionalists that Christ will reign on earth for 1000 years, so we reject Amillennialism, and the hermeneutic that enables a less than literal-historic view of scripture.

On the other hand, Progressives reject the parenthetical view of the Christ, and believe God's plan of redemption for His chosen people includes those chosen before the New Covenant was inaugurated, and those chosen and placed in Christ under the new covenant. Thus we accept Romans 9-11 and Galatians 3 as written. All Israel is not a tribe or culture or Geo-political institution, but rather is God's chosen people who have been redeemed and made perfect by the blood of the Lamb.

5. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Undergraduate to lay level. And I would say that while I was a huge Ryrie fan.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think best source of classic dispy theology wriiten by Lewis Sperry Chafer , and supplanted by that from Dr Darrell Bock for progressive view!

7. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be a good observation. PD sees the church as continuing the kingdom program between Israel, Jesus, and the church rather than the church age as an interregnum period. It also emphasizes the already/not yet aspects of the kingdom (realized eschatology lite). And its hermeneutic is a bit more theological and literary along w/ grammatical historical.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bluntly....arent they both nuts?

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if you oppose their theology. :saint:

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume you mean his sys. theo. Did Chafer write anything short on dispensationalism?

I would say Dispensationalism Today by Charles Ryrie and Progressive Dispensationalism by Craig Blaising and Darrell Bock. The Greatness of the Kingdom by Alva McClain is a classic also.

#10 John of Japan, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2012
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that what you call it!

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How strange. A denizen of the BB who doesn't recognize good theology. :confused: But you should like progressive dispensationalism since it leans towards covenant theology.