1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where was Adam when Eve ate the fruit?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by music4Him, Mar 3, 2004.

1. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I was doing some studing and read something that I haven't realized before and would like your opinion....where was Adam when Eve ate the fruit? Was he somewhere else in the garden or right there? [​IMG]

Ref. Gen.3:6 [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Music4Him [​IMG]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the Bible is silent, we ought to be silent, too! (BTW, that NEVER works for me; I always come up with some opinion!)

Personally think Adam was right there watching and waiting. Eve was deceived; Adam was not.

And Adam was in the transgression.

3. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Dr. Bob, if Adam was there watching, why didn't he tell her NO? After all Aren't the men supposed to look out for our welfare?? Especially if they are husband and wife! :D

My goodness,man started falling down on his job way back then!!!

:rolleyes:

working for Jesus,

Tam,

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

P.S. If adam wasn't deceived, and did it anyway, then he is in worse trouble than Eve!! :eek: [​IMG] He was [​IMG] on the Job.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He was some place else.

Bob

6. aefting

aefting New Member

Genesis 3:6 (ESV)
    So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.

I think Adam was with Eve the whole time.

Andy

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The reason that Eve is speaking and not Adam (Adam is dead silent if he is there) and the reason that "Eve must GIVE" the fruit to Adam - (instead of Adam taking it).. and the reason that Adam can tell God "EVE gave me the fruit" and the reason that God "Accepts that" instead of whacking Adam on the head saying "hey you saw what was going on why didn't you say or do anything"?

Is because - Adam was not there.

In Christ,

Bob

8. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Although I used to always belive for a long time that Adam wasn't there. I kinda now do lean towards him being right beside her at the time she ate the fruit after reading Gen.3:6 it seems he was there. [​IMG]
    Bob why do you think that Adam was not there?

Just another scripture to (somewhat) back up Gen.3:6 read on down a little futher, Gen.3:12 where Adam tells the Lord...The woman that thou gavest (to be )with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

The two words that have the parentheses ( ) were added to the the original text to make more sence to the reader, but in the original text those two words would not have been there. Would it make a difference if those words where left out?
    Hummmmmmmm? [​IMG]

Music4Him :D

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lets say that Adam was short - and blind and deaf and too young to fully comprehend what goes on around him.

In "that case" he could easily be standing right by Eve - and yet be "clueless". In fact he could then complain "Eve gave me the fruit and I did eat" because in fact - he had no understanding or ability to respond in the entire discussion between the serpent and his WIFE.

And in that case - God would consider his response to make perfect sense as to "how" he got pulled into that sin.

However - the fact that God asks Adam FIRST - AND the fact that Paul says that Adam was NOT deceived but that EVE was deceived - FIRST - shows us clearly that Adam was not there. -- Not there to "be deceived" and not there to claim that "it was the serpent who tricked me".

But EVE could say that the Serpent tricked her - because "she was the one at the tree - talking to the serpent".

In Christ,

Bob

10. music4Him

music4Him New Member

So Bob are you then saying that Adam had no idea what the fruit looked like?????
    I do agree with you that Eve was decived and Adam wasn't, but wonder why Adam wasn't decived?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gen.3:6 KJV
    And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gen.3:6 NAS
    When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make {one} wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    NLT (New Living Trans)
    Gen. 3:6
    The woman was convinced. The fruit looked so fresh and delicious, and it would make her so wise! So she ate some of the fruit. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her. Then he ate it, too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Complete Jewish Bible
    Gen. 3:6
    When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it had a pleasing appearance and that the tree was desirable for making one wise, she took some of its fruit and ate. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her; and he ate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Can anyone tell me why these different versions seem to say Adam was there if he wasn't?

Music4Him :D

11. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Adam had to know what the fruit on the tree looked like.
    BTW, has anyone listened to your spouse tell another person something that was not exsactly the truth and interupted their conversation and said "No, thats not the way it is!"....Well?

I know what Paul said in 1 Tim 2:13-14~
    13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression(sin).
    What did Adam do? Did he eat knowingly? Didn't Adam do wrong too?
    Just thought I'd ask. :D

Music4Him

12. aefting

aefting New Member

He ate knowingly in outright rebellion against God. He also abdicated his position as the leader in his home.

Andy

13. Armando

Armando New Member

Interesting point. I think Adam was at the same place where the wife of David was, when he was also tempted:

"And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon"

Adam was watching the footbal and getting drunk with his friends and David's wife was at the beauty parlor getting her nails done.

None of them were taking care of their spouses.

Armando

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Maybe Adam was in the bathroom, or out gathering food, or naming animals.
    Maybe David's wife was in the kitchen cooking for him, or he woke up before she did.
    It bugs me when people automatically blame the spouse for the other's stupid behavior.
    "If she would have paid more attention he wouldn't have had that affair"

"If he didn't work so many hours to provide these things I gripe at him to buy then I'd not have cheated on him"

"If she would have made dinner right I wouldn't have lost my temper and hit my kid"

And on and on and on. Sometimes when you do something wrong just admit it! Sometimes I wonder what would have happened in the garden if Adam and Eve had taken responsibility for their actions instead of blaming everyone else. Perhaps that lying was an even worse trangression than failing to obey!

Gina

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I recently heard someone suggest that the part of the curse about Eve trying to take her husband's leadership was becuase Adam was there beside her and he did not lead her. As a result, the woman is going to resist the leadership of the man. I am somewhat persuaded by that. I may be changing my view on where Adam was ... not that it matters all that much since theology is not hanging on this point.

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Pastor, did he even HAVE leadership over her, or was that part of the curse?
    Gina

17. aefting

aefting New Member

Adam had God-given leadership responsibilites by virture of being created first (1 Tim. 2:12-13) and demonstrated by the fact that Adam named her (Gen. 2:23).

Edited to add:

The curse did not create the positional relationship -- it just made it difficult or strained. The phrase, "and thy desire shall be to thy husband," is similar to "And unto thee shall be his [i.e., sin's] desire" in Gen. 4:7, where God pictures sin lying at the door, ready to overwhelm Cain. The woman's natural desire is going to be to gain advantage over her husband. The husband, on the other hand, is going "to rule over thee," not in a loving manner, but in a dominating manner like Cain must do over sin ("and thou shalt rule over him [i.e., sin]" Gen. 4:7). Those are going to be the natural, sinful tendancies.

Andy

[ March 05, 2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: aefting ]

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yes, I think he did have leadership over her. That was God's creation intent ... that the man should be the natural leader in the family. I would base that on 1 Tim 2, as well as some others. I think Andy answered this well.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eve knew it was the fruit of the tree of knowledge and chose to eat anyway - based on the argument of the snake.

Adam knew it was the fruit of the tree of knowledge - and chose to eat anyway based on the argument made by Eve.

Paul argues that it was Eve who was first deceived. The only way these could all be true is for Adam not to have been there at the start fo the conversation between the snake and the woman.

Gen.3:6 KJV
    And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat,

and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

In Gal 2:20 we are "Crucified with Christ" - this is a way of placing people together or in a group - without necessarily arguing that they are together in one place.

The snake does not speak to Adam, Adam never speaks to it AND Adam never complains about the snake as the "cause" or the "reason" that he sinned.

In Christ,

Bob

20. cotton

cotton New Member

Does God judge partially or impartially? If Adam had indeed 'fallen down on the job' as has been insinuated, wouldn't God have judged him more harshly than Eve? Therefore, we can assume that Adam did not 'fall down on the job'. Can we assume that Adam was not 'watching a football game or drinking a beer with his buddies (!!!) and was he instead obeying God's command to tend the garden? Is it possible that he could have been just out of earshot of the serpent, but still in the general proximity? And I believe they did 'own up' to their sin-I don't believe any of us are capable of standing in the presence of God and lieing to Him; I think too often we look at this from our point of view without empathizing with Adam or Eve.