1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholic Bashing Threads/Posts

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by GodlyWoman, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Most people here do read about topics, like visiting a rcc site and seeing what the rcc says they teach. You assume everyone speaks from ignorance except you, which is not true. Many individual rcc's do not even know what their church teaches, you defend this as if you were rcc.

So your intent was not to join and be a part of this community of believers? Then why are you here? I think we can see why.
    Apparently your 'last' post wasn't your last post was it.

Asked direct questions by adminstration and not giving an answer, hmmm, this won't be good,,,,,, for you.
    You attended a baptist high school, and a baptist church for a while, doesn't tell what denom you are now. Whatever it is you apparently do not want to claim it or you'd tell what it is. your not embarressed by it are you?

i wonder, have you attended any rcc classes to know anything about what they believe?
    Have you attended any classes at any church of any denom as an adult 9not high school), like recently, in the past month, 6 months? Is that a regular bases or once or twice?
    If you arenot currently pasrt of a church, how can you eb growing spiritually? You need other christians, worshipping together, and learning together to grow spiritually, without them spiritual growth will be at best nominal, if that, as it is direct disobedience to God.

So what church are you currently sttending even if you aren't a member there, or what denom do you seek out to attend even if you are not a part of that denom yet? What is the last church you were a member at then?

2. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Thank you DS for something specific. However, the OP on the thread you cited appears to be a valid post of newsworthiness and open for discussion. What was "the bogus accusation"???

I do wish Godly Woman had remined to see such threads removed, and express her gratitude, as you have.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I doubt that she is gone. She has an agenda and it's not finished yet...

Thank you for the kind words. We do try to 'clean up', but sometimes it takes us awhile unless someone hits the 'report button'. That is a big help!

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would argue that it is pretty easy to chase people off. The trick is to get someone who is a lay person in a denomination that has some problems -- to stop and think about the really tough questions for a minute.

People seldom leave their home church just because they read something on a discussion board. But sometimes they do -- when the topic is right and the spirit is one of sharing not bashing.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the Bible itself is bashing the Catholicism.

If we read Deutronomy 4, Isaiah 42, 43, 44, Jeremiah 44, we can notice how much they condemn the Idolatry, then we read Romans, Revelation etc. which condemn severely the Idolatry, and Acts 19:27-29 condemning the goddess worship.

Let's see how Apostle Paul condemns the paganism like Catholics.

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature ( incl. Mary) more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen

Bible is bashing the Catholicism, Homo-sexuality, etc.

If we read Re 2:6, 15, we find Jesus hates the doctrine of Nicolaitanes which means the clergy system.

Nevertheless many people try to flatter to the Catholics because they are as many as 1.3 Billion.
    But we should remember that our Lord - God is much greater than the billions of paganists.

6. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Hi Eliyahu.

I agree with you that the Bible itself opposes Catholicism.

Catholics do not worship Mary as a goddess. They worship her like a goddess. A subtle difference, but that subtle difference is a difference nonetheless.

What the Nicolaitanes were is uncertain. There are multiple theories.

However, while the Bible shows that the Lord hated the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, it does not say that the Lord hated the Nicolaitane people.

Is using emotionally-charged words like "paganists" really necessary?

Were you told to do so by our Lord? Does the Bible tell us to oppose religious falsehoods by applying unkind and derogatory names to those fooled by them? If not, then you were not serving the Lord in so doing. 1 Timothy 2:24 says that the Lord's servants should "be gentle towards all” (ASV).

Is it possible for you to make your points against Catholicism without including a personal shot at its adherents?

I think the Lord is great. I think He is so wise that in doing the things He wants us to do, it is best to do them the ways He says so.

7. GodlyWoman

GodlyWoman New Member

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

9. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I thought you were going to stop posting here.. Are you looking for a debate, or or you really looking to stir the pot?

Jamie

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Why would you not want to pray to your dead loved ones, to saints, and to Mary, Jesus' Mother, and ask them to pray for you?

Actually, why would we want to? This isn't how Jesus taught us to pray.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

The RCC views them as the "Alive in Christ" --

In 1Thess 4 the saints who have died are called "the DEAD in Christ" and we are forbidden to "consult the DEAD on behalf of the living" according Is 8:19

Communion with the DEAD is forbidden in scripture.

Not one single saint in the NT ever does it!

Not one single saint in the OT ever does it!

There is no case in all of scriptrue where a living person prays to another living person to ask for help.

EVEN the RCC does not "allow" their own members to pray to the living!

in Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually - I hope she will post here. The more we have a chance to talk -- the more information comes to light.

I am sure you would agree that the The last thing we want is for us to simply sit around talking to ourselves saying "we are right because we always say we are right".

in Christ,

Bob

13. Joe

Joe New Member

God didn't give the sacred gift of prayer to be misused.
    God created the prayer language. He didn't grant permission to use it for any purpose except communicating with him. His specific instructions are that we pray to God through his son Jesus. We do not pray to Satan, Aposle Paul, Adam, Eve, Noah because he was a righteous man, our pet rock, or anyone/anything, period.

John 14:6 "I am the way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except by (through) Me"

Christ has instructed us upon how to pray

#93 Joe, Dec 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2007
  14. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mostly I agree with you.

1. Read once again what I mentioned about " doctrines of Nicolaitanes"
    I didn't say the Nicolaitanes, but the doctrines of Nicolaitanes ( Re 2:15), Re 2:6 pointed out Works of Nicolaitanes.
    The meaning of Nicolaitanes is very clear and no one can bring another.
    Nico- means Rule Over, Win over, Victory, etc.
    Laitanes - Lay people.
    Nicolaintane means Ruling group over the lay people, and these in the church were Clergy system such as Bishops etc as Diotrephes ( 3 John 9).

2. The tones and styles in the expression may have to be streamlined continuously. However, we must remember that even the Apostles expressed often their strong abhorrance and indignation against the Idolatry, homosexuality, and goddess worship, paganism etc.

For example, Paul said the prophet's condemnation that the Cretans are liars and evil wild beasts, is true. ( Titus 1-)

In this era, many "so-called" Christians are flattering to multitude of paganism, and to the violence. They advocate the Pluralism and peace etc. but never tell the Bible truth, never condemn the Idolatry. They just live to flattering to the billions of people, to the Violence of Muslims and other terrorists.
    However, if you read the Bible, you can notice Paul condemned the Idolatry in Romans 1:21-2, Peter did in his epistles, and Proverb condemns so many times the foolish people, and Isaiah condemned and riddiculed the idol worshippers in Isaiah 42-44, Elijah even killed 400 Idol worshippers, but Elijah was so much blessed not to have experienced the death but ascended to the heaven.
    I am just straight forward against the idolatry and goddess worship.
    I know so many Christians are flattering to the multitudes of pagan believers because their god is the creatures, not the Creator.
    However, the believer whom God is with is the absolute majority and more than the billions of pagan believers.
    I can tell them only this question.
    Am I become your enemy because I tell the truth? ( Galatians 4:16)

15. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Bob,

Debating a topic is one thing, but I am not onvinced that there isn't other motives. Time will tell, but I hope you're right and a dicussion can be had.

Jamie

16. standingfirminChrist

When they die, they're born again? Where is that in Scripture? My Bible says they are born again the moment they believe, not the moment they die

There are three reasons I would not want to pray to my dead loved ones, saints or Mary:

1. Because the Word of God declares I can go boldly to the Throne of Grace myself to find strength to help in time of need.

2. Because to pray to the dead is no different than praying to an idol... they cannot hear, nor can they intercede for me.

3. Because as I pointed out previously, Jesus told us to pray to the Father... not every Tom, Dick & Harry out there. If Jesus said to pray to the Father, I would be in direct disobedience to Him by praying to a dead person.

No, it is not wrong to get those Brethren who are alive to pray for your need to be met. Paul prayed for the brethren in Churches and coveted prayers of the saints in those Churches.

When you pray to a person, living or dead, you are disobeying Christ and thereby have discarded worship of Him.

Now, I ask you, since you are directly disobeying Christ by not praying to the Father as He commanded, do you truly think He is pleased?

#96 standingfirminChrist, Dec 26, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You raise a good point.

IF I was a person a bit more inclined to an RC-like set of doctrines/views I would think i would have to have a set of "rules" for posting on this board.

1. No appealing to RC sources/authorities for "proof" of a point since no one here is likely to accept those authorities.

2. Doctrine and argument should all be "sustained" in a "sola-scriptura manner" since even the RCC does not go so far as to say that "scripture should NOT be used to support a POV" and also there is a very large group here that would NOT accept proof-by-tradition as a valid form of "proof".

Since scripture is "acceptable to both" then scripture would have to be "the rule".

3. While I might want to "explain" the details of a given RC practice -- when it came to "defending or proving" that practice -- I would need to go back to scripture alone.

4. I might be inclined to seek out protestant sources/commentaries etc that agreed with some of my points.

5. If I ever came to a point where scripture alone was "insufficient to prove my point" I would be well advised to just admit it. It would be of benefit to both me and to the group that did not agree with me. After all isn't it one of the RCC's own arguments that some doctrines of theirs are NOT found in scripture so RC tradition is actually "needed"??

in Christ,

Bob

#97 BobRyan, Dec 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2007
  18. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

A major difference between Paul and you:
    1) Paul made it expressly clear that he loved and cared about the Galatians, but
    2) your posts about Catholics do not reflect the same attitude -- in fact, the exact opposite.
    Early church records indicate that they were a sect of people who claimed to be following Nicolas.

As I said, multiple theories. I am inclined to go with the people who were there at the time, frankly.
    You seem to be dodging the issue, Eliyahu.

I agree with you that the Bible criticizes improper religious views and practices. I have agreed on that before.

Further, I have never objected to you opposing the religious tenets of Roman Catholicism.

I do believe, however, evidently unlike you, that Scripture never once approves of unnecessary nasty comments made about people. I believe, evidently unlike you, that Scripture universally condemns such behavior.

What I do object to is the nasty comments about Catholics that you `squeeze in' that are not necessary. You see, you are not acknowledging that as you are opposing the religious tenets of Roman Catholicism, you squeeze in a nasty comment or two about Catholics as people.

As for reading the Bible, I suggest you start reading the passages of Scripture you evidently do not like to follow in talking about Roman Catholics as people. I would read Matthew 5-7, Luke 6:20-49, 2 Timothy 2:24-5, James 3:16.

#98 Darron Steele, Dec 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2007
  19. Joe

Joe New Member

Amen Brother :thumbs: We need to resemble men of God, not pharisees

Here's the story about the adulteress caught in the act

Jesus said- He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again He stooped down, and wrote on the ground."

"And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst."

"When Jesus had lifted up Himself, and saw none but the woman, He said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?"

"She said, No man, Lord."

"And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." John 8:2-11 KJV)

20. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

GodlyWoman: I am with you on the Catholic bashing.

However, I am not with you on this. Prayer is a communication from humans to gods. In Scripture, it is communication from humans to God.

Scripture never once reports a believer praying to anyone but God. Scripture never tells us to do it.

The reason for that is simple: we are not to treat anyone other than God as God. Because Catholicism does not consider Mary or any other mere mortal to be God, praying to them means that you are treating beings who are not God as God.

This is wrong. Therefore, I suggest you refuse to discuss it anymore and keep the thread on topic.

The rightness and wrongness of Catholicism on this or any other religious tenet is irrelevant to the subject of this thread. Even if Catholicism is wrong on every distinct religious tenet, there is still no justification for the personal nastiness that gets tossed on Catholics as people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.