1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sins a Christian cannot commit...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rbell, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Charles:

First of all, you are adding works to salvation. Bad move!
    Second...why do you refuse to simply help us out here? Give us a list of sins that it is impossible for a Christian to commit! You glossed right over it....but the reason you are "stuck on adultery" and pedopilia...is because you know that your argument won't hold up when you look at those passages in context and in their entirety.

Charles....have you ever had greed, fear, or unbelief in your life since becoming a Christian? Yes or no will do.

2. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Jesus said I have lost none, that shows me we are in the hand of the Lord. He does not allow me to lie. Hope that answers your question. Why is it so hard to believe a Christian does not lie?

3. charles_creech78

Yes I have on the fear part. I fear the Lord.

4. charles_creech78

I hold to the Ten Commandments, that scripture says is what sin is. I don't have greed, but fear, I would be a fool if I were never afraid.

You never did answer if you have God's laws in your heart

5. Outsider

Outsider New Member

Brother Charles,
    This is your definition of a lie. The Bible's definition is different. It states that it is: Falsehood, untrue, a falsifier. It mentions nothing about intent.

The truth is, no one (That I know of) sets out to make hell their home. When Paul crucified Christians, He thought He was doing the will of God. When you or I speak untruth, we lie. No matter what our intent is. If it is a falsehood, if it is not true, the Bible calls it a lie.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Charles,

1. In writing to Christians at Colossae, whom he also calls saints (1:1), Paul tells them to put away certain sins that they were actually committing:

"Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived." (5-7)

2. Why would Paul tell them to put these sins to death, if they were not committing them?

Read chapter 3 carefully.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Have you ever committed a lie since becoming a Christian?

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

I think that--barring blasphemy of the Holy Spirit--a Christian can fall into any sin a non-Christian can. But here's the difference: Should a Christian fall into a sinful lifestyle...
    1. A Christian will receive God's chastening hand.
    2. If a "Christian" is living in ongoing, continuous rebellion, then I have serious doubts about their faith. They would be eaten up with conviction & guilt. No guilt/conviction? Doubtful they know God.
    3. How about the "heinous" sins? Can a Christian commit them? I see no outright Scripture that says they cannot; however,
      1. Many of these sins are the result of a progression of rebellious choices. For instance: a man who "cruises the streets" to pick up streetwalkers probably chose a series of increasingly wrong-headed and evil compromises. I doubt they woke up one day and said, "Hey...let's go commit this sin!"
      2. Having said that...it is doubtful that they could get to this point without guilt eating them alive, God's punishment getting to them, or the consequences of their choices destroying them. But as to whether or not they are saved, that is for God to decide, not me.
    4. I do know that we are to confront those we think are believers regarding their wicked lifetyle choices...and if they are unrepentant, we are to speak the truth in love...and ultimately, should they not repent, we are to treat them as though they are lost. (And indeed, with this many opportunities & reminders for a rebellious soul...should they not respond to this, then in all likelihood they are not God's). But once again....that is God's call, not ours.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Charles, let me help you: since I became a Christian, I can't count how many times I've lied. I'm not proud of it. But it's the truth.

Does that mean that I'm not a Christian?

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Charles, If you cannot admit to lying since you became a Christian, then there's no reason for you and I to continue in this debate.

I'll debate someone else in this thread.

11. charles_creech78

So, you believe Christians are adulterers, liars, pedophilers, rapist, murders, Idol worshippers, Devil worshippers,
    What can I say?

I believe in a God who's Grace keeps us in this life and delivers us in the world to come, soul, spirit and body blameless.

I think to teach people that Christians can commits such sins is the fulfillment of men standing in Holy places where they ought not be.

12. charles_creech78

I do not or have not lied since becoming a Christian. I make it a special point not to lie. There is such a thing as keeping your mouth shut, when confronted with an unpopular situation

13. Outsider

Outsider New Member

rbell,
    Thank You! Amen!!!

Paul said we are to judge those within. We are to judge the walk and the fruits of a Christian. We do not have the authority or the right to judge their souls!!!

Mat 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
    Mat 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Charles, I'm sorry, but I'm done debating with you.

God bless.

15. charles_creech78

There was a mixed crowd in those days of all kinds of people. The man who committed fornication with his fathers wife back that up and Paul knew it. He said to put such actions to death. If they are put to death, you do not commit them again. Seems to me any intelligent man could understand that.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well, then, according to YOUR Logic, you have committed a sin that a Christian cannot commit.

Please understand that I said your logic. I believe you are erroneous in your interpretaion of Scripture here.

Remember....if you subscribe to "the list of sins that Christians can't commit," then you can't pick and choose. And cowardice was one of the sins listed in the Revelation 21 pasage.

I take you at your word, Charles, that you do not lie.

But, you do sin. We all do.

You said,

Sorry...but you keep adding to the doctrine of Salvation...and THAT'S a probelm.

It's easy to fall into the trap of "big sins" and "small sins." A "big sin" is any sin that hurts your relationship with God. (just so we're clear...ALL sins become big at that point).

I'm not trying to beat you up, here. But in the last few days, I've seen a disturbing trend among a very few posters--and that is to:
    1. Limiting God's forgiveness;
    2. Assuming that we can determine whether or not someone is saved;
    3. Making salvation about grace AND works.
    All three are patently unBiblical. Salvation--God's grace--is a gift. Undeserved. Whether we are liars, adulterers, or embezzlers--God has offered us something we don't deserve...and has chosen to not give us what we do deserve.

17. Outsider

Outsider New Member

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

This is the only sin that I find that sends someone to hell.

18. charles_creech78

Oh yea, if he raped your wife 7 times seventy, would you forgive him.

Anyway, you can't forgive sin, only God can do that.

If He trepass, is different than if he sins against God and his own body.

19. charles_creech78

Could I ask why, because I quoted you scripture, or is it because I will not admit to sins I have not committed, what is it?

20. charles_creech78

to Outsider

Never heard about unbelief concerning the rich man who is in hell today

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.