1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1st Cor 13:10

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by MB, Jan 13, 2009.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can love be secondary...when the entire chapter is devoted to just that? I agree it is sandwiched between two chapters speaking of the gifts of the church, but the main theme of the chapter is love, not gifts.

2. Todd W. White

Todd W. White Member
    Site Supporter

Well, maybe I should have said ancillary, or adjacent, or tangential, or something other than secondary.

Yes, Chapter 13 is The Great Love Chapter, but, in the context of the entire section, it's not THE main theme - the Corinthians' lack of God's kind of love for their fellow Christians may have been the #1 evidence they were carnal, and not spiritual, but the reason they didn't exhibit it was because they were coveting what they thought were the "best" gifts, and this led to a lack of love for others.

Hope I'm making sense here - I'm not trying to minimize the idea of God's love working in and through us, I'm just trying to show how messed up the Corinthians really were.

And, incidentally, if you take the Church in Corinth and overlay it over Christianity today, you'll find very little differences...

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thankyou for your reply.
    I agree with what you've said for the most part about tongues abuse. The idea that if you don't have this gift of tongues you're not saved is a stumbling block for those who believe it. There looking for gifts as proof of Salvation instead of fruits which is the proof they should be looking for.

There is so much that is only hinted at in scripture that I would love to know more about but just isn’t there. Heaven is only briefly out lined. The millennial reign is another. What will man do with eternal life and so on. We know we will be with Christ and worship Him but I don’t believe that this is all there is to it. I believe we will have challenges but what kind? Some of these things the Bible explains only in part. Which is why I think the Bible isn't really complete yet.
    MB

4. Todd W. White

Todd W. White Member
    Site Supporter

Hi MB,

Also - tongues-speakers usually equate doing so as an evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit.

One of the arguments against that is the example of Jesus Christ - our Supreme Example, I might add - He was THE MOST Spirit-filled person to ever live, yet, if speaking in tongues is a sign of being Spirit-filled, why don't we even have ONE record of Him doing so?

The answer is simple - speaking in tongues isn't a sign of being saved OR Spirit-filled!

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you, but couldn't it have been said while on the cross He did this when the witnesses thought He was calling for Elijah?

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Webdog;
    The reason they thought that is maybe because the name Elijah means God of Jehovah or the first part of the name ELI is part of what Christ called out.
    Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

MB

7. Todd W. White

Todd W. White Member
    Site Supporter

He was speaking a dialect of Hebrew, which is transliterated into Greek, then translated into the English - "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me?"

It would not have been considered by those hearing it as some sort of gibberish, else we would not know what it means - it was a language known to the speaker AND some, at least, of those hearing it, unlike the SG of tongues, where the person speaking had not learned the language he was using.