1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Calvinism require a higher spiritual intellect, spirituality, and...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by R. Lawson, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Wow, I don't know, perhaps the title of the thread? :wavey:

I mean, how could I have ever done this? :thumbsup:

Your mom in law may "never mention" it, but I highly doubt she has never mentioned it in her life, and if she is in church, that she's never heard of it.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

This reminds me of the drunk that falls into limburger cheese.
    Everywhere he went, his whole world smelt bad, not knowing it was he.

On the other hand....God did indeed wash me clean, and gave me a new heart. So...maybe you are right. Brainwashed by God.

#62 Jarthur001, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
  3. preacher4truth

Yeah. Weren't we given an imperative to renew our minds? :)

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann, both my wife & my brother tell me the same thing. In fact my brother was an IBF Pastor. His stories prove that the other side were biased against Reformed Theology long before he even studied it in greater detail. He went to a regional meeting of Pastors & at lunch, sat down with a coupla of Reformed pastors & struck up a conversation with them in a "Just like this/passing the time of day fashion" & later was yelled at for it by his then Lead Pastor....the guy told him that by even talking to them that my brother & the church he was pastoring in would NOT be blessed by God. Later on that gave my brother more curiosity about Reformed Theology leading to his intensified study of it. So I say, come on throw your hate at me for being Reformed. The more I study it, the more I see God's hand in it.

#64 Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 14, 2011
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See my point is its not all about Calvin. We believe we take instruction from Paul who got it from the HS. I feel reformed is a n inclusive term but we are really Christians.

Besides Calvinist is a term that causes friction, so why use it?

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Some are not able to understand that the man, is not the same as the doctrines that were around before he taught them. They act as if they believe that Calvinist are fools that read John Calvin every night and believe every word he says, and have never looked to Scripture to see if he is right.

7. preacher4truth

Oh, so now we've moved from "how did Calvin come into this" (which is the OP) to "it's not all about Calvin."

It's for the sake of having something to argue about. I see.

This truth came way prior to Paul.

Your last statment is a given.

Again, it's because of the OP. :wavey:

#67 preacher4truth, Jan 14, 2011
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YES! & that has been the blessing of it all!!!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.:thumbsup:

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism is Christianity. One needs no special knowledge. One needs the Holy Spirit who is freely given to all who ask of the Father.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Originally Posted by Tom Butler [​IMG]
    I surely hope that embracing Calvinism (or DoG) doesn't require a superior intellect, or I'd be outa luck.

I think I have average intellect, but compared to James White, and even some Arminian scholars, I'm out of their league.

Even on this board, I am in awe of several folks of all soteriological stripes, whose intellectual gifts are obvious--and intimidating to me.

I understand that the Doctrines of Grace are deep. But getting a handle on them requires study. Even we average guys can understand the concepts if we stick with it, and utilitize the intellectual gifts of some great teachers.

Further, I think there is a spiritual component involving illumination by the Holy Spirit, that goes beyond intellect.

I just love those "aha" moments.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What an ego.

Thank the Lord Jesus that the gospel doesn't require us to be significantly sharper than the average person. He made it simple so that the simple can understand and be saved!

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am with you Amy, the only reason one might be required to "smarter than the average bear" is use all the acceptable language and lingo which serve as the accoutrements of any man created system.

13. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism is the beginning of knowledge, however, and Calvinists attain more and better knowledge than those who reject it.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, your right Tom & there is aha moments that collaborates that after grace you do ask God to make you one of his. I myself fought it, wanted nothing to do with it & was mad at God. But for Grace was I saved & thats when I wanted to know more, could no longer do the things I did in my sinnful state so I really reversed myself....I asked for forgiveness & for Him to be my Lord & Savior. Even now, I ask him daily to make me a better man, father & husband. That is surely grace. Now then, why would I not want to know more? Indoctrination, hardly. Grace alone, Faith alone & finally Christ alone.

Gee, look at all the things He did for us on the cross. He didnt need my help to achieve those things, rather He did them. All I can do is look up & be grateful, honor & worship him as Lord & Savior

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Seems like Calvinists need to do more Bible reading.

17. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's strange. The Bible says;
    Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    MB

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes & you are to love your enemy's & do good to them that revile you.

I dont believe for a minute that Luke was saying that those who study Reformed theology were truly any smarter than anyone else....I believe he miscommunicated . If he did & meant it then I for one forgive him & ask that he apologize. No one in here should be touting intellectual superiority, thats Pharisaical & Christ warned us about it.

Rather we should be embracing the fact that we are all Christians & our efforts should be employed in bringing the lost to Christ, not fighting each other.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, but he said Calvinism IS christianity...so I guess you can just substitute anything pertaining to God in the Bible and insert "calvinism" and it's still truth.

At least Aaron admits what many don't...that if you are not a calvinist, you are not a christian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.