1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Resurrection teaching

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to throw this out: Would it be okay if I didn't care which day it was?

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Why make a big deal over something so trivial as how long Christ was dead...when the important part is HE IS RISEN! He is ALIVE!!

On the other hand, what IS an issue is....

Why do we choose to speak the name of the fertility goddess "Ishtar"..(Easter) when refering to Christs Ressurection day?

AiC

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

My concern over this is about on line with whether or not there were unicorns, which day of the week to worship, what is the real day for Christmas, the exact day of Jesus' return, KJV verses the MV's, post-mid-or pre tribulation rapture, etc. They all make for interesting debates and conjecture but in the end they have nothing to do with the expansion of the gospel. And, in some circles they only serve to hinder it as some devote way too much time and dogmatic loyalty to non-essentials of the faith.

4. StraightwayByGrace

StraightwayByGrace New Member

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Per Forrest, "Stupid is as stupid does."

Why would anyone believe that Jonah was swallowed by a great fish? Within twelve hours how long would everyone that has read this thread say he was inside the fish if he was at all?

Read the text and without considering anything but this text all please tell me if the sign was, A. The amount of time the Son of Man would be in the tomb or B. Just the resurrection itself?

Be as honest as if your answer determined if you went to heaven or hell. BTW I do not necessarily believe it does but lets pretend.

At around the time of the year in which the passover came, how many hours did Jesus the Christ say were in the daylight part of a day?

Four questions looking for four answers.

6. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    StraightwayByGrace, great link. Thanks.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I'm slow Percho. What's your point? Are you wanting to split hairs with freeatlast?

8. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

The doctrine of a Friday crucifixion is of Catholic origins. I agree that this is not a major doctrine, yet I can't help but notice how some of us do theological gymnastics while attempting to explain away Matthew 12:40.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just four questions.

10. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Jesus was crucified...not a bone of him was broken......he was pierced in the side......he shed his blood.....he lay in the tomb......he arose.......he was the perfect sacrifice.

What more do we need???

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I would like a new resurrected body like His, the one I have is wearing out.

HankD

12. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

that's what I'm waiting for as well!

13. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Because Jesus said.......
    Matthew 12:40
    “For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”

The opposing view, has nothing to do with “Scripture, and understanding of the Jewish context”;
    It’s all about courage(or lack thereof).

Some people have the courage to simply believe Scripture, regardless of what the rest of the world is saying, while others would rather say things like....this isn’t worth fighting over.

Every Word in the Bible, is worth fighting over.

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Besides courage, it requires understanding that every single word in the bible is not to be taken literally. I don't think God has actual wings, do you? Or, I don't think the rocks will actually cry out, do you? You have to use the brain God gave you.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Robert I certainly agree we need to use our brains, and I do not mean this mean spirited, but to hold to a Friday crucifixion and try and get three days and three nights we have to turn off our brains.
    Then for anyone to say that I do not need to know the truth when it is right in scripture is an open invite to satan, as they are saying that they would rather have satan's teaching then they would God's. Also worse then an invite to satan it is doing satan's work for him.
    There is no problem if the article I offered can be clearly proven incorrect, but to say or suggest that anyone would rather be miss-informed then to have their error pointed out is just unacceptable and rebellion in the highest against the Lord who preserved His word for us. The Lord condemned the Jews for holding tradition over truth. I have no doubt that we also will suffer the same condemnation if we do as they did.

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

is just unacceptable and rebellion in the highest against the Lord who preserved His word for us. The Lord condemned the Jews for holding tradition over truth. I have no doubt that we also will suffer the same condemnation if we do as they did.

So, in not agreeing with you we are in rebellion in the highest against the Lord.....?

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You seem to have a problem with telling the truth. You lift other peoples posts out of context and then attack them. Yet I forgive you.

18. sag38

sag38 Active Member

In what way have I lied? I simply asked you a question. It appears that you are saying that if we don't jump on your bandwagon about Sunday not being Easter then we are in rebellion. If so, I'm sorry you feel that way and I forgvie you for casting unwarrented judgment down on us who don't agree.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So you post another falsehood too cover your first one. I still forgive you.

20. sag38

sag38 Active Member

So, you aren't going to answer the questions but instead call my character into question. Thanks for substantiating my suspicions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.