1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God and TIME

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

At least we are a lot closer than the rest. I also believe that His Spirit strives with man but I believe "all" men and we either let Him in our hearts or keep Him out.

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

This is a different concept but if we are predestined through the foreknowledge of God and John in Revelation saw the end of the world, then all of this has already happened and been played out. God operates in all phases of what we call time. He is everywhere at every time. God is infinate. We are not. Our understanding is limited. This is one of the great mysteries.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I agree with you. There is a reason why the progression in the Bible starts with "those He foreknew" (those with whom He had an intimate relationship even before they were born), He predestined, called, etc.

It should be obvious that it is illogical for God to foresee something, foreknow that the person will believe, and THEN, as a result of foreknowing, call him.

But the foundation of the problem I see in this discussion isn't the logic. It is that people are adding to the text of the Bible. The text never talks about God foreseeing that some will believe and electing them on that basis. It never even hints at that. This is simply a man-invented scenario that people add to the Biblical text in order to hold onto their belief in salvation by free-will choice.

Their entire view stands on the assumption that "it's possible because God is outside of time". Well, duh. It's also possible that God elected people based on the results of his own personal lotto system. But the Bible doesn't say that, either, so both assumptions are equally ridiculous.

#83 npetreley, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2006
  4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

You Calvinests take the human factor out of it completely. You don't think a man can choose Christ unless he is chosen first. Phooey! God wishes that none should perish, but that all would come to repentance. Jesus is the second Adam. Adam made a choice to disobey God. Christ gives us all the same choice.

God does have foreknowledge as John saw the end of the world. God did look ahead and see who would come to Him and chose them accordingly.

You believe that unless God's spirit touches a man he will willingly reject Christ therefore holding him accountable.

Don't you think that is just a little unfair? I choose to believe in a God that really did sacrifice His son for the sins of the world. Whosoever WILL call upon the name of the Lord SHALL be saved.

Calvinisim is a cold and heartless side to christianity. You claim to fulfill the great commission only because it is commanded. You don't really believe it does much good as God has already chosen. I'll give you a little hint: Most Calvanist churches don't soul win. If they do, it is half hearted at best. They give up on people too easily writing them off as unchosen.

Those that believe in foreknowledge give the gospel out of love and believe that God uses them to make a difference in other peoples lives. They don't give up on people and pray for them beleiving God will answer. My mother got saved after 5 years of prayer and witnessing.m If you don't believe a persons heart can change on it's own accord you wouldn't have that kind of stamina. Jesus says come! You have no basis to say that only those chosen can come unless you see that we are chosen because He saw the decisions we would make.

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree too that He sees us believe and He is the cause of our belief because he gives all men a right to believe or disbelieve. If He had not made us in His Soverneignity to have the will to believe or disbelieve then we would of been just robots created by God without thought, means and would be no different than a "rock". I believe the Holy Spirit is striving with "all" men trying to get them to follow the "good" Spirit instead of the spirit of "darkness". As far a before the foundation of the world I believe that too according to "time" but God is not constrained to time and "Fore" means nothing to Him, He sees all at once. peace canady,

I agree with you Soulman.:thumbs:

#86 Brother Bob, Jul 23, 2006
  7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

First of all, my point was that it doesn't matter what you think makes sense, or what you think is possible. Just because God can foresee the future doesn't mean He did what you say He did.

What matters is, does Scripture say He did it that way? And there's no place in Scripture, ANYWHERE that says or implies that God elects those He foresees will believe. This concept does not appear in Scripture anywhere. Even the Trinity is implied, whereas the idea that God elected those He foresaw would believe isn't even implied, let alone stated.

The only way you can get that from Scripture is to misinterpret words like "foreknew", which does NOT mean "knew in advance about something". It means "knew [people] intimately even before they were born". In other words, God elected those who were His friends, His sheep, even before they were born.

Second, the robot argument is what is called a non-sequitur. It does not follow that if we are chosen to believe that we are robots. That is, once again, purely a human argument (and a badly flawed one, at that) and carries no weight whatsoever against what Scripture plainly teaches.

What amazes me most of all is that the bulk of Scripture from beginning to end teaches that WE CAN DO NOTHING WITHOUT GOD. Not "some things". Not "a few things". Not "a trivial thing". NOTHING. God spends an awful lot of time hammering home a point that is TOTALLY contrary to the concept of salvation by free-will. The fact that people continue to insist that they are saved by their own free-will choice just shows they still don't "get" the Bible.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Soulman;
    No where in Scripture does it say God forsees those who don't believe either that is why time does not confine God. The foreknew is for man because man is confined by time but God is not confined by time so He don't foresee, He sees who believes and who does not believe the same as He sees your death and how you will die, so He knows who to predestinate and call and justifiy and Glorify. Who hath known the mind of God and who hath been His councelor, for sure no one on here. He sees everlasting to everlasting and that is Scriptures for God is everlasting to everlasting.
    He sees all of the following:

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

1 Timothy 2:3-6 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

#88 Brother Bob, Jul 23, 2006
  9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Bob Says
    He Sees All the Following

(Large and bold letters not needed)
    humm Great verse...but nothing about seeing

Now this is a good one. You said God sees all this..and you put in bold "all men to be saved". Are you saying this is what this verse means? You also Bold..."A RANSOM FOR ALL"...and this too you said he seen. Christ paid the right to own us, we are not our own...bought with a price(ransom)...and God saw this...and now all are going to heaven...for this has been seen as done. I'm not sure that is the meaning is it Bob? Did God already see this? If so...who is all?

humm Nice verse...but nothing about foreseeing

I'm missing the foreseeing part.

yet another great verse. No forseeing.

nope not here

nor here

nor here

nor here

nor here

nor here.

These were good verses about faith and believeing Bob. Where are your verses on foreseeing? Post a verse that says foreseeing is the same as faith. :)

again...when you see election, foreknow, choosen...these words all give the reason as it is Gods pleasure. When it comes to faith, it is man that has been "seen the light".

(Personal attack removed. Try to answer posts more intelligently.)
    DHK

#89 Jarthur001, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2006
  10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

seeing

Before you begin reading how can anyone believe that all the following Scriptures were written without the knowledge of God. Think about it. To say that God never knew foreknew all these Scriptures is to say that man wrote them all on their own. I believe all Scriptures were given of God and were written by men as moved upon by the Holy Ghost, Maybe I believe in a different God that JAuthor does, I don't know. amen and peace

Quote:
    2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

humm Great verse...but nothing about seeing

The Lord is not slack concerning His promises but Calvinists says He can't see when He does it.
    Quote:
    1 Timothy 2:3-6 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Now this is a good one. You said God sees all this..and you put in bold "all men to be saved". Are you saying this is what this verse means? You also Bold..."A RANSOM FOR ALL"...and this too you said he seen. Christ paid the right to own us, we are not our own...bought with a price(ransom)...and God saw this...and now all are going to heaven...for this has been seen as done. I'm not sure that is the meaning is it Bob? Did God already see this? If so...who is all?

Here God sees His son pays the atonement for all men but they must believe and Calvinists says God can't see what His son does. Thus Calvinism blinds.

Quote:

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

humm Nice verse...but nothing about foreseeing

Here we have a God that is everlasting to everlasting and sees all things at one but Calvinism can't see or believe that He is an all wise God. blindness again.

Quote:
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I'm missing the foreseeing part.

Here God so loved the world but Calvinism apparently does not believe in an Omnipresent God or can't even see His own plan of salvation.

Quote:
    John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

yet another great verse. No forseeing.

Here is Gods plan again but according to Calvinism, God does't know anything about it.

Quote:
    John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

nope not here

Again, Calvinism says that God is blind to who believes on His Son or what will happened to Him if he believes.

Quote:
    Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

nor here

Again, God plan where a man can be saved but, Calvinism can't see or believe that God knows His own plan.

Quote:
    Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

nor here

Here the Scriptures explaining what God's power is but according to Calvinism God doesn't know anything about it.

Quote:
    Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

nor here

God's own work but according to Calvinism God doesn't know it.

Quote:
    Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

nor here

Here God explains the end of the Law but must of forgot He did it.

Quote:
    1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

nor here.

Again God at work but must have blinders on.

These were good verses about faith and believeing Bob. Where are your verses on foreseeing? Post a verse that says foreseeing is the same as faith. :)

They everyone came from an all knowing and all wise God.

again...when you see election, foreknow, choosen...these words all give the reason as it is Gods pleasure. When it comes to faith, it is man that has been "seen the light".

Again, seen the light and believed, I agree, you got one right.:thumbs:

[leave personal attacks out of the thread please.]

[Your sarcasm does you no good. Attack the doctrine, not the person.]

(Do keep James in your prayers, as you may everyone else on the board. No need to point him out specifically in any sarcastic way.}
    DHK

#90 Brother Bob, Jul 23, 2006
  11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Bob,

The verses...your verse...was to prove God saw these things. Yet, It said nothing about that, now did it? Now God knows all..and this is what you ended up saying after you were called on it. :) But no need to mislead. Let the Bible be, and don't change it.

You would wish this for Gods word and those that stand for it..to just go away. Just as you said before on another thread...[no need to bring in offensive personal attacks from other threads.] I will preach the Word..like it or not.
    [Address your remarks to the doctrine; to the topic at hand, not to the person.]

Pressing on till He Comes..

In Christ...James

#91 Jarthur001, Jul 23, 2006
  12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

This is childish James. [Indeed it is--for both of you. You both ought to be ashamed of yourselves!!] [childish remarks deleted]

You were gone. I am the one who PMed you and ask you to come back and post again. If I wanted you gone I would of just kept quiet and let you pout. You are out of control James.[You are not the moderater Bob.] (Other remarks deleted)

You don't believe God saw all those verses? What do you believe James?

#92 Brother Bob, Jul 23, 2006
  13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Is it just me, or did Webdog not answer Jarthur's original question? I thought it was a good question that needs answered. From what perspective does God want us to read "foreknew" in Romans 8?

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

If a person's heart can change on its "own accord" then what is the purpose of praying for them? According to this logic, the only thing we should do is witness and the rest is up to them. Asking God to save them would be wrong, since God might actually do it and thus -gasp- violate their free will!

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

There have been some good post on this thread and some not so good. IMHO

One said God can go forward and backwards in time. This I’m sure is wrong.

It has been said God is “timeless”. This clearly is wrong if what is meant, God does not use time, He is timeless if you place him outside of creation.

Some say God works inside of time, and others say God works inside of time.
    My views..
    1st…What is time?

Time is a measurement of movement and/or change. Time was made by God and is linked to creation. The whole of Gods creation is made up of 3 properties. Those 3 are space, time and matter. When God made, all that was made, takes on these 3 properties. A rock takes up space is made of matter and last for a given time. The same can be said of all things. If we take a picture of something, the snap shoot is frozen in time. Another picture taken 100 years later of the same matter should show some change. If there is change, this proves that time has taken place. Units of time can be seen in creation.

If we have no matter, we have no time.

Day…
    One spin of the earth is a day as we know it and use it. A day is also used as a year in the Bible, but that is another subject. We use day as it is shown in creation. Also time is measured with a noon rotation around the earth and a earth rotation around the sun. But lets just look at a day.

We could use this time (day) measurement alone. If we look at time this way, I feel it helps us see it in light of How God sees time. Imagine God watching the earth spin. He knows how many spins each of us have before we die. People come and go, things change on the earth and God can just see all of this at once. Can you go back in time? No. We can look back and know what happened, but we cannot go back from spin 10,000,000 to spin 5,000,000. All matter is like this not only man. Towns cannot go back in time, a house cannot. A car cannot. All things can only have more spins in their life not less spins.

Can God go back in time?

Time is made up of matter, and space. If the matter cannot go back in time, there is no space in time to go back to. The only space there is in creation, is the space that now takes up the matter before us. That matter of old...the past...has now been replaced with new matter in the same space that the old matter use to be. There is no new space. There is only space filled with matter. You can't have the old matter and the new matter in the same space. Change happens and this is "time". So there is not time of the past that one can go visit for there is no new space. Well…unless God over rides his creation. He has the power to do so, if He wanted to. If God did do this, this would mean all that was said in the Bible can be just be trashed as God starts all over again. Some how, just do not see God doing this.

Can we go forward in time?

Can we go from 10,000,000 spins of the earth to 20,000,000 spins of the earth? No. The same holds as going backwards. There is no time travel for time is locked into matter. The only reason we have time is with its link to matter. No matter, no time. If you can place matter forward, then you must place it in a space, then you can also travel forward. This cannot happen for that space now has new matter in it.

Can God move forward in time?

God can do what He wants, but being that time is linked to matter and space, the space that God goes to would have to have matter there. I think the better view is that God is everywhere watching and working. In His creation and out of it. The view of God just watching the earth spin is only to show time. Yet God does not just sit there. God works in His creation also. Just lookiong at time right now...He knows how many spins we have …He also knows how many spins our cars will have before they die. This is not God moving forward in time, This is God in control of His creation. God know how many spins, for He is the one spinning the earth and He is the one that place the life on the earth.

John and Rev.

John was “in the spirit” and the matter that made up John’s body did not go forward in time. When our Lord showed him things to come, John spirit was there and stood afar with an angel as God showed him as if it was a big play. It is clear this was a divine vision given to John about what would come to past. Daniel and others had like visions before John. Each time anyone “saw forward” it was a vision.

Later I will share my views on “foreknowing” and time

Then..what I think is the right view of God in time in more detail. IMHO

In Christ..James

#95 Jarthur001, Jul 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2006
  16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Andy T;
    Let me talk about my own life. When I was in the world before becoming a Christian I knew if I died in that condition I would go to hell but yet I chose to live that way knowing that hell would be my home if I got killed in an auto accident. Why? because I loved that kind of living and was willing to take the chance of missing Heaven. I also had intentions before I died after I had lived my wild life for a while like the prodical son of calling upon God and repenting if He would have me. Why? because I didn't want to go down to a devils hell. I eventually did that. Now, did I have a choice? If that is not a choice given to me by a Sovereign God then I don't know what is. Everyone I have ever talked to says the same except some on BB.

#96 Brother Bob, Jul 24, 2006
  17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Psalms 139:1-4, 7-10

O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
    You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
    You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
    Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
    If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
    If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
    even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

If He can do that to an infant and also to someone 100 years old. To someone in Kentucky and also someone in England then God can be anywhere all the time without constraints of time or space. He is Omnipresence and infinite. God is not like us, He is God of all.

What some fail to see is that God sees everything at once. He sees how and when we all will die. Does anyone doubt that?

The reason some do not want God to be able to do this it destroys their theory of doctrine but regardless the truth will stand when the world is on fire.

Anyone think for a moment He don't know when you believe?

God is everlasting to everlasting He said I AM the beginning and the end. Anyone who is trying to think like God needs to go to Him in prayer. He thinks he knows something, knows nothing as he should.

#97 Brother Bob, Jul 24, 2006
  18. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Bob,

1st off...Great verse, one I should have used in my post.

Of course He knew when you and I believe. But...He didn't have to look and see to know. He is the great I AM the self exsiting one and all infomation does not come to Him from others, it comes out from Him. His knowing did not come from our doing. His knowing came from his own decree.

we will get to this later...but you may want to think about what this line says. I agree with it...but do you? Beginning? End? Everlasting....is really just sempiternal..but the verse works because it is both ways. :) right?

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Canady, you are in extreme error in that we had a relationship with God before the foundations of the world. God simply doesn't have a relationship with sinners, of which we all are before we get saved. we are given the measure of faith. We are given the Word of God which faith comes by. It is up to man to seek God who is seeking to save man, but God has principles. Calvin invented principles to try and make God live by.

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

humm. well...lets look.

hos including feminine (he) does make it relationship. I guess Canady was right.

Are you telling this to God? His Word says otherwise.

No...i think God wrote the Bible, not Calvin.