1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What was Jesus like before he came down to earth?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Aug 29, 2006.

1. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I have been reading both posts, because like I said I am trying to make up my mind. I have wondered about this topic before.

Question.
    If Jesus was spirit before, was He omnipresent with the Father?
    What made Him different then the Father?

2. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Each member of the Trinity is omnipresent: The Father: Jeremiah 23:24 The Son: Matthew 18:20, and The Holy Spirit: Psalm 139:7-10. :saint:

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

That is very interesting I did not think about that. Do you think Jesus is saying He is there, because the Holy Spirit is there and they are one. OR is all three members of the Trinity here in the same space. If that is the case how are they seperate. This is hard to think about:flower:

Thanks JFox.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But the point of dispute with webdog was whether Jesus was a man before the incarnation. That's what I understood him to be saying.

Why would Jesus need to be shaped like anything?

Yes, Jesus has always been God and so has always had the same characteristics as all 3 Persons of the Godhead.

Deejay, please look at the comments here on the discussion of this topic (more narrowly) on the Baptist Theology and Bible Study thread. Please go to this link; the comments are more clear here:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=33118

You are Baptist, and you can post questions there as well.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

He was God . . . He was, is, and will always be God.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In order to "walk" you need feet. Spirits don't have feet, or any limb for that matter.
    YES!!
    Christ does. Christ is God. Are you denying His deity?
    No kidding...I never claimed angels to be human. Angels walk...talk...EAT. Everything that walks, talks and eats doesn't have to be human in order to have a real body. Chimpanzees walk, talk (in their own way) and eat...and they are not human, but have very real bodies.
    We have spirits, and we are beings. Same with angels.
    Please study what "flesh" means. Jesus became "flesh"...corruptible. This is the only way He could have died for us. Becoming human is the same thing in that humans are "meat"...and we die.
    Tell me...after Christ rose from the dead, did He only have a "temporary" body? Everything else depends on this. When we die, and are resurrected, will we inhabit the New Earth in "temporary" bodies...or will they be real? Your thinking sounds awfully gnostic to me.
    I'm not ignoring it...you are just adding to it. I do believe Jesus became human...corruptible, and He was not always this way. He had to in order to die.
    ...and this is exactly what I believe!
    Have I not been saying this all along! Their physicallity is explained. We know that they rest...eat...talk...walk...look like men. Pretty explanatory to me!

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In all that - you turn to God's Word in Genesis 1 and find your answer -- nice going.

God HAD/HAS a form. WE "INVENT" ideas about what a spirit can or can't do or look like - but that is just us talking to us. GOD's word says that HE has form and that Moses could not LOOK UPON it or he would die.

God has form.

In Christ,

Bob

8. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

All three members of the Trinity are everywhere at once. They are separate Persons but are of the same divine substance. :praise:

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God is infinite - the one who thinks he must fully fathom God or else be "troubled" - is biting off more than he can chew in all eternity.

But God DOES have form "LET us make MAN IN OUR OWN IMAGE".

And God makes it clear to Moses (pre-incarnation) that Moses CAN NOT LOOK upon His form and live!

In Christ,

Bob

10. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Yes, maybe you're right, Bob.

I'm simply asking myself is wether we look the way we look because Jesus looked like us before. I mean is Jesus the prototype after which Adam was created? Or did God come up with the human form and simply invent it?

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Being made in God's image does not mean we have a form/body like God the Father.

Jesus said God is spirit (John 4) and the Bible says no one has seen the Father except Jesus. To ascribe a body to God the Father is heresy. This is done by the Mormons and the Word Faithers.

Being made in the image of God means we have the intelligence, will, ability to understand ideas, and sense of morality.

12. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But Jesus is also God. If Jesus had always had the shape of a human then this would mean that we look the way we do because Jesus looked like this before. If Jesus has always had the shape of a human then this would explain why Adam looked the way he looked.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Jesus was not human before the incarnation. Jesus is God but he is not God the Father. The incarnation was when the "Word became flesh."

The Bible does not tell us why God made us the way he did, physically speaking.

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the ten commandments graven images made in the "likeness" of God or anything in heaven are forbidden. God said that man is made in HIS image. It refers to character, and to physical form. Which is why even now that our physical form is so far degraded below that of Adam we still may dishonor God by misshaping character and defiling our body.

I don't think that God "is human" or that God the Son "used to be Human" before becoming incarnate - but I think we share significant physical features with the very image of God that it dishonors him for us to defile our bodies.

In Christ,

Bob