1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ryrie Study Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by BruceB, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruceB

BruceB New Member

I was browsing the Bible dept. in my local Christian book store and took a good, long look at this study Bible (the "expanded" edition). Overall I liked the quality of the manufacturing of the book, the print size was adequate for my 50 year old eyes, the margins have sufficient room for notes, the size is not objectionable, and it comes in three trusted translations (NAS, KJV & NIV). I would probably pick the NIV, but could go with one of the other two as well if the notes are directed to a certain translation.

I would like to hear from those of you who have used this study Bible - I am interested in your opinions as to how satisfactory the notes have been to you. I do own a NKJV/Baptist Study Bible from Nelson, I like it, but find the notes skimpy on some things I am interested in knowing more about. What is the Theological bent of the publisher and the author (Moody/Ryrie) of this study Bible - has it stood the test of time? I did a search here and didn't come up with much - most of the references to Ryrie were included in overall Study Bible discussions. Thanks for your consideration! Bruce

2. 4risen1

4risen1 New Member

Hi Bruce, I own a Ryrie Study Bible in the NASB translation. Moody is known for being a proponant of the Dispensational viewpoint and Ryrie has been a leading dispensational theologian for many years. It was during my study of the notes in this bible that I became convinced that Dispensational theology was in error... In my opinion. It is a fine bible if you are a dispensationalist, but if you are not one you might want to look for a different study bible that presents other viewponts as well... just my opinion....please take no offense.

In Christ

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Charles Ryrie is past president of Dallas Theological Seminary. He is a well respected Bible Scolar.I would read the statement of faith at the DTS web site to get a picture of where he stands.

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Good advice!!! I know he was at DTS for a long time, but I don't think he was ever there president.

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Over the years I have at one time or another purchased copies of the Ryrie Study Bible in every translation that was ever available. I agree with most of Ryrie's notes - I guess that means that I am dispensational and pre-trib, too. It is sad the Ryrie Study Bible is no longer avilable in the NKJV, but it could be you would find one on E-Bay. The NKJV is the one I use most frequently (my translation of preference) but I also have the KJV, the NIV, the NASB and the NASB77. It seems the notes are geared to the specific Bible translation. If there is a note on a phrase that appears in the KJV, for example, that particular note does not appear in the other translations. But if the note is on something else, the notes are pretty much standard for all the versions.

If you're pre-trib and dispensational in your beliefs, then you should love the Ryrie Study Bible. If you're not pre-trib and dispensational, then another study Bible might be better for you.

6. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

Ryrie

I always liked Ryrie Study Bible;s .I have one in NAS and NIV !

7. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge. 4Risen1; no offense taken - you gave me what I asked for - your point of view. Plain Old Bill (and Bob's seconding of your advice) - great advice, I took it and (although I wasn't aware of DTS or their statement of faith) I read it with great interest and found it most informative. Keith - thanks for the detailed explanation of the notes in the Ryrie Study Bible (and Tony for your endorsement). I may have to try one of these Study Bibles in the NIV. Bruce

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Bruce, i pray you love your Ryrie as much as I love mine. And if the NIV is your Bible of preference, then you shouldn't go wrong getting the Ryrie in he NIV!

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bruce,

I had the Ryrie NT and study Bible for years.

And while I noticed some errors in at as studied the notes, I did really enjoy the study Bible. It was my 'first' study Bible.

But, I have not used it in 15 years and really do not miss it.

I don't know why - I didn't have a clue what dispensational was back then - but I have never really desired having a study Bible since. I think part of this is that my studies have gone much deeper than a study Bible could go. But, part was just that the Ryrie left me desiring so much more.

I can say that I finally did break down and get a Holy Bible - Baptist Study Edition - which I like. I think had I gotten this study Bible instead of the Ryrie - I might not have a distrust of study Bibles . . . .

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Is that Baptist Study Edition the old Criswell Study Bible?

11. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Duh, what in the world was I thinking??? I know as well as anyone else it is the NASB95 and not the NASB77. Talk about a senior moment! My brain must have taken a vacation that day - it certainly wasn't where it belonged! SORRY, folks! I sure had no intention of misleading anyone!

12. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hi, Bruce...

Did you pick up that Ryrie NIV you were thinking about? If so, what do you think abot it? No matter what others may say pro or con about a study Bible, the ultimate question is whether the user will be happy with it.

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Don't feel bad, I have senior years!!!

14. Keith M

Keith M New Member

It seems those senior moments are getting longer and more frequent for me too, Bob! I think that one day soon for me it will be all one big long senior moment! :smilewinkgrin:

15. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Keith - I have not purchased a copy yet, I am still in the looking and "deciding" mode. I might actually go with the NASB/Ryrie as I may also want to add the NIV Study Bible in the future - then having a NASB in a Ryrie Study Bible would give me more resources. I do intend to buy a copy of the Ryrie, but will probably wait until November/December (and hopefully a sale somewhere). I read through a different translation each year (2005 was HCSB, 2006 is NIV), 2007 was to be either ESV or NASB, so my choice will probably end up being the NASB/Ryrie for next year (haven't seen much choice in the ESV yet - maybe by 2008/2009 some more options will be available). I will let you know what I think after I get into it in 2007. Bruce

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Yes it is.

17. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Or if you're not pre-trib and dispensational then you should get it and maybe you'll change your mind, as others have experienced.:smilewinkgrin:

My first Bibles were KJVs; my second Bible was a Ryrie Study Bible in NASB. I have enjoyed it and used it thoroughly, until its worn out.:thumbsup:

18. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hi, Franklin...

I have not worn out a Bible yet, although some of mine are not nearly as nice as when they were new. And the printing on the covers of some of my Bibles has faded to where it is not readable. Over the last few years I tend to do much of my Bible reading and studying online, and that sure cuts the wear and tear on the printed versions. But there are times when there's just nothing like having the printed version...

19. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Hi, Keith...

Most of the wear is from carrying (cover is bad), not so much reading (pages are good).

I can't get used to reading online; I loose place easily; I guess, my eyes are tired after working at a computer screen all day.

Also near Cincy,

Frank

20. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Have you tried increasing the font size for your browser, Franklin? I always use the view option at the top of my browser, select text size and then use the largest setting. Seems to help with these old eyes of mine.

Online web sites like http://www.studylight.org are great because they offer so many different Bible translations from the earliest English versions to the more modern versions. And the study resources are tremendous - right at your fingertips without having to dig out a cumbersome book and look up what you want. But then there are advantages to having printed versions like the Ryrie at hand, too - one can see what particular study Bible notes say right there on the same page. The more popular study Bible notes are just not available online - at least not that I have found.

The main thing is that we read and study the Bible. Whether we read from a printed version or online, it doesn't really matter as long as we are getting God's word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.