1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Becoming A Christian Speaker

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by FMeekins, Feb 17, 2008.

1. FMeekins

FMeekins Member

how does one go about becoming a Christian speaker?

#1 FMeekins, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    you must first make certain that you are a Christian. I don't say this facetiously.

What do you mean by "Christians speaker"?

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

There's two routes...

One: Demonstrate talent, and get an agent. Get booked, and increase your booking numbers and size so that you can increase your fees. Pretty soon, with some talent, good agent(s), and the right endorsements, you'll make a killing.

(Yes, my cynicism button's on).

Two: Get involved in ministry...wherever God leads you. Do your best to serve Him. If your passion is communication, that will come out. Over time, people will ask you to speak. Do yourself a favor, and don't respond based on the size of the venue or honorarium. Treat the struggling youth minister with ten kids with the same respect you give the pastor of a church of two thousand. God'll take care of the rest.

Honestly...I very seldom use "Christian speakers." I prefer ministers that speak well.

Don't take me wrong...I'm not knocking full-time evangleists. It's just my preference. I will say that it's easier to evaluate how good someone will be if you have a ministry to evaluate, rather than some speaking engagements. But that's just me...your mileage may vary.

But please, keep these things in mind:
    • If you're a FT Christian speaker, stay plugged in and accountable to a body of believers. Otherwise, you're asking for trouble.
    • Please keep in mind what I said about respecting folks, even if they're small and can't pay much.
    • Do your best to not let money be the driving factor. I'm getting quite sick of how much some of these folks "charge" to come to a chruch.
    • Pray, pray, pray....and be faithful to the opportunities God gives you.
    • Be flexible. No one likes prima donnas with a long list of expectations. If I'm bringing a group or speaker in for anything, and their "contract rider" is long...I doubt they see the inside of my church. (I'm not referring here as much to technical things; there are certain sound needs, power needs, etc., that might be endemic to your presentation. I'm referring more to the personal stuff)
    God's best to you.

4. FMeekins

FMeekins Member

thanks for the helpful response. Heard that some, might have been Benny Hinn, demanded to be picked up at the airport in a limo.:laugh:

5. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

I hope that we are all Christian speakers.

6. ANewCreature

ANewCreature New Member

I am starting to feel such a calling - like perhaps the call to a pastorate was, for this time, like Abraham's call to sacrifice Isaac - after all, it would be utter foolishness to leave with the economy the way it is, and with me owning my home, no mortgage, etc.. However, I understand that God's plans dont' always make sense in man's timing, and I was faithful to God's leading, and feel that He has blessed me through it. He wanted to see how willing I was to follow Him all the way.

Now, what I'm doing...well, obviously, be sure of your salvation and that you're walking with the Lord, as was said.

Then, even before, when I was sending a few resumes about serving as a pastor, I was telling churches I'd be available to come speak missions, family, or whatever conferences. that helps to get my name out. I have also planned to get my name around at ministry conferences like one I'm going to in a few weeks.

I am also studying Scripture at various points, and have felt that the Lord may be leading me to write. I tried before, but my topic was so broad that I had trouble focusing. Now, I am focusing on 2 Kings 4 and the story of the Shunnamite (sp?) woman, and how someone from a broken home can dedicate themselves to Christ and become a Christ-honoring witness and leader even with no male role model. Sometimes we forget those homes where people aren't fortunate enough to have a male role model, or at least not a saved male role model. The story in 2 Kings in a great example of a woman (the KJV calls her a "great woman") who overcame the obstacle of a husband who was there physicall but not spiritually.

Even if God doesn't call you to write books, has he called you to write articles? I don't know how those in the Baptist Bible Tribune and others do it, but that might be another way to get name recognition.

I only mention writing because...well, part of it is I like doing it myself, but also, it can be a good way to get your name connected with a certain type of interest (family, missions, youth, etc.) However, even if you don't write anything, there are plenty of avenues to getting your name out. I am not sure how you get your name on the Baptist Bible Fellowship list, maybe you have to be a BBF graduate, but at www.bbfi.org they have list of spekers.

I would recommend only taking up love offerings, or asking that transportation be paid for if you have to; we just had David Ring at our church recently, and that's all he did. And, I wouldn't have minded if our church paid him; he was awesome!

Be friendly with everyone, be willing to let the Lord guide you, build relationships, because you are not only dealing with brothers and sisters in Christm, you are dealing with people who will spread the wrod.