1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do pork-eaters go to hell?!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 11, 2007.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I just saw something shocking on 3ABN.
    I think it was a seventh day adventist broadcast. The guy spoke against alcohol and smoking and then quoted this verse here and tried to prove this way that drinking alcohol will cause God to destroy you because you defile your body, which is the temple of God. I think that this verse is taken out of context and doesn't support what he said.

1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

But look at this! This is pretty clear on eating pork.

Isa 66:15 For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
    Isa 66:16 For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.
    Isa 66:17 They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

:eek::eek::eek:

This means that eating pork isn't allowed. Why did nobody ever tell me?!

I had already heard that pork is supposed to be not healthy but I thought that you can eat it if you want.

But what about the blood in beef? Usually the meat still contains blood and the bible clearly says in the OT and the NT that we shall stay away from blood. Does this mean that christians are only allowed to eat kosher butchered meat like the muslims? Does this mean that a christian cannot even go to a normal butcher and buy meat? Wow, this would be really stupid because the only butchers which do kosher butchering are muslim butchers. Does this mean that I would have to go a muslim butcher to buy my meat? I hope not.

And what about chicken? Is chicken okay? Does the bible say anything about chicken? I hope that at least chicken is allowed. :(

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

You are not going to hell for eating pork.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

XDX, when are you going to actually read the Bible????

Acts 10
    9 The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. 10 Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.”
    14 But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.”
    15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.

All foods are now permissable for the Jew to eat.

Of course, the SDA's are going to disagree.

Foods don't send you to hell. Rejecting Christ sends you to hell.

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Wait a minute!
    Isaiah is prophecy!
    Are you saying that God changed everything and that pork is okay now?
    Then Isaiah is wrong! This doesn't make sense. The bible cannot contradict itself. Isaiah clearly says that those which eat pork will be consumed.

And besides this, even if eating pork is allowed today I think God had his reasons to forbid it in the OT. Why did God forbid it? Most likely because it's not good for us. I think I will try to eat as little pork as possible from now on.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

God forbid a lot of things in the OT because of their associations with the pagan nations surrounding Israel. They were to be separated to God alone. The OT laws were for OT Jews during a different dispensation than we live. Yes, God does change things during the progression of time. We are now live in the age of grace, not law. Things are different for us than for OT Jews.

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

This doesn't solve the prophecy problem.

Verse 17 speaks about what happens when Jesus returns, right?
    Verse 17 says those which eat pork will be consumed.
    This means that it will happen exactly the way verse 17 says it. Or are you telling me that verse 17 is not correct anymore because God changed everything and this means that Isaiah isn't "up-to-date" anymore?

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

XDX, this was written to the Jew. You are a gentile. Gentiles were never under the levitical food laws of the Jews. You are free to eat anything you want. It has zero impact on your salvation. We are saved by GRACE through FAITH. Period.

FAITH + NOTHING = SALVATION

:godisgood: that's why He sent :jesus:

On the other hand, if you don't want to eat pork, then don't. It doesn't matter.

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Wait a minute. Isaiah 66:15-17 is about what happens when Jesus returns. Do you agree with this?
    Isaiah 66:15-17 says that swine eating is an abomination and those which do this will be consumed, right? It says that.
    And you tell me that this only applies to jews? Explain this to me.
    Are you saying that jews which didn't believe in Jesus and which ate pork go to hell because they eat pork and messianic jews which believed in Jesus go to hell as well if they ate pork but christians can eat pork and it's allright?
    What sense does this make?
    Sorry, but this is not convincing at all. It doesn't make any sense to me.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes, this is prophecy, but it has nothing to do with pork. It's regarding idolotry. When Jesus returns, He will judge those who rejected Him (as those in the Is. passage rejected God and worshiped idols) and worship the world rather than Him.

10. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amy is right X. You cannot simply pluck out a line and form a doctrinal opinion. Read the entire context.

"They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves...."

Christians do not sanctify themselves and purify themselves. The blood of Jesus Christ does this for Christians and Christians do not make sacrifices with pigs and mice. Christians look to Jesus Christ alone and His work on the cross as the ONLY sacrifice for Christians. So the pork eating idea formed from this passage of scripture is debunked and refuted.

God Bless!

11. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First of all - you clearly have not been reading my "rats cats dogs and bats" threads. I keep pointing out that in Lev 11 and Isaiah 66 God does not approve of eating rats cats dogs and bats.

Where have you been??

in Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    some argue that Christ died to cleanse the pig....

OThers flatly reject that suggestion.

God is the Creator. Read Lev 11 -- He says to humans "this is FOR FOOD" and "This is NOT edible"... He ought to know rats are bad for humns to eat - He made BOTH the rat AND the human.

Why is that so surprising?

God approves of beef steak, lamb, deer, salmon etc -- but not rats!! Why is this so difficult for some Christians to hear?

In Christ,

Bob

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lev 11 says chickens are ok.

But some will tell you not to read the Bible to find out that rats are bad for humans and that chickens are ok to eat.

I am not one of the people that will tell you that.

In Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So OT saints "saved by law" and NT saints "saved by grace"??

Sounds like two different gospels to me.

Sounds like you think that law actually did save in the OT.

(Just stating the obvious here --)

In Christ,

Bob

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Are you jewish?

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Bob, I gotta hand it to ya...

You've got some add-on in your internet browser...you always seem to know when a "pork thread" is started! :laugh:

17. amity

amity New Member

Better stay away from shellfish, then too, xdisciplex, and be sure not to mix meat and milk. Orthodox Jews take it all the way and have two totally separate sets of dishes, and two separate refrigerators just to make sure not one molecule of meat ever links up with a molecule of milk. And then of course you should not eat any leavened bread during Pesach, which is coming up soon. You are supposed to crawl around on the kitchen floor with a feather scooping up even the most miniscule crumb of bread before sundown of Passover, and scrub every surface down good with a special cleanser.

Then go through your wardrobe and remove everything with mixed fiber content.

You might want to sign up at a local synagogue to learn how to keep the Law. They are the acknowledged experts.

#17 amity, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  18. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Isaiah 66 is all about sacrificing and eating that sacrifice to sanctify the person. You always harp on and on about context and proper bible exegesis. Isaiah 66 has NOTHING to do with eating supper for survival. It is a very bad mishandling of the word of God. I am surprised you would do such a thing just to prop up your position.

Second, Lev 11 does forbid eating pork for God's chosen people setting them apart BEFORE God cleansed all foods and told Peter he could now eat what he pleased and should not be afraid to eat with others who eat what they please.

Once again the full counsel of God's word needs to be addressed for proper exegesis, something you always harp on but ignore when it comes to pork eating.

God Bless!

19. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Woooohooooo! At least I can eat chicken. Oh boy, I was already scared that chicken might also be forbidden. :love2:

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Or you could just read the Bible.

Funny how some parts of the Bible bring this out -- maybe that section of God's Word should be called "the bad bible".

In Christ,

Bob