1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old fashioned hymns - simply played - FREE no strings attached

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by KJVO, Jun 24, 2006.

1. KJVO

KJVO New Member

A good friend of mine Mike Paulson of Touchet Baptist Church has recorded a large number of good ole fashioned hymns - on a regular piano, no digital fake sound - and have kept them simple. One set consists of a number of them in two verses with a just bit of added fancies, but very simple, nonetheless. Another set is recorded singing from his earlier days of congregational singing. The third set consists of 292 hymns - and they all contain an introduction and all the verses of that particular hymn - all so folks can sing along. I have downloaded the 292 hymns myself ( They are I believe in 9 zipped files ). All are in MP3 format. Just download them, unzip them to a folder and they are there for your use, named and in alphabetical order. You can burn them to a cd or play straight off your computer. I use these for my church and for family singing at home. All are very well done. Bro. Mike has posted these at his church website for downloading with no strings attached. They are all free to download at http://www.paulsonmusic.com/ Take care. Bro. Hugh Floyd (KJVO)

2. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

He also claims that "Hamites" (Africans) have corrupted good "Japhethite" (Caucasian) music. He has a big ol' chart on his site showing this. (for those who want more proof of what this "conservative music only" position is really all about!)
    People in more conservative circles talk so much about "separation from error", and now it's time to consistently put this into practice, regardless of how "good" the hymns may be.

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

Good ole fashioned hymns
    Regular piano
    NO digital fake sound

then......

Saved to zip file
    Burn to CD
    Play on computer
    Download from website

Sounds like an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

4. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

on a regular piano, no digital fake sound

"Fake sound" - is that like "artificial colour"?

5. Pete

Pete New Member

Yeah, I guess I have to agree with everyone else on the "no digital fake sound" bit (er.....no pun intended on "bit") :) As soon as it's in the computer it's digital. Maybe if it was recorded on good old vinal or something? Trouble is it would have to hit some sort of amplification sooner or later...

ok, now I've got that out of my system (first time for everything ;))....I downloaded the 10 zips of "
    Simple Hymns Simply Singable" set, now working on the "Simply Played" list.

I love the play-list. Wondering about the reasons of "simple" arrangement. While I'm not a big fan of today's trend of WAY over-producing Church music, and have no problems with just a piano or organ being used, do you have any problem with
    using arpeggios or just did it the "simple" way in protest at the over-production crowd? :)

6. KJVO

KJVO New Member

I never did bring this up with Bro. Mike, I was just grateful for the hymns. I assume it is because this is how they play the hymns. In my opinion hymns played simply have a much broader range of use. Most that I have found before were so fancy that you had to learn where all there runs and ad ons were before you sing along with it. KJVO

#6 KJVO, Jun 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

While I'm not a big fan of today's trend of WAY over-producing Church music, and have no problems with just a piano or organ being used, do you have any problem with using arpeggios or just did it the "simple" way in protest at the over-production crowd?

Seems to me his arpeggios etc. are just the typical style of piano playing from 100 or so years ago, as opposed to the way we'd play today.

8. Jack Lavictoire

Jack Lavictoire New Member

Nice of them to have done that...

Thanks for sharing! :thumbs:

9. GospelExplained.com

GospelExplained.com New Member

What a great resource, the instrumental hymns.
    Some are charging a lot of money for this, and call it a 'ministry'.
    Thanks for your trouble.
    JR

10. KJVO

KJVO New Member

You are very welcome, I will relay your message to Mike. He did put a lot of time into them.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I don't want to sound rude but you don;t seem to know much about music and recording from this comment.

The point is that it is NOT a digital piano. It is an acoustic piano in a digital recording. Nothing wrong with that.

It would be the same if you got a CD of any professional classical pianist.

When I record it is all digital recording from the start but I have recorded mandolins, guitars (acoustic and electric) grand pianos and violins etc.
    It is real, non digital music (non MIDI) but it is recorded to a digital format.

Has nothing to do with vinyl or cassettes or any other analog recording medium.

12. Gib

Gib Active Member

I don't think you're rude. I just don't see the difference in using an MP3 format track of a regular piano or playing it on a keyboard with sampling capabilities.

I prefer our Yamaha acoustic piano, but have used my keyboard in the past.

I listened to the samples and thought they were okay. It obviously took alot of time and I'm sure they will be a useful tool for some.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Well, there is a huge difference.
    Do you understand mp3 compression at all?
    Would it make a difference on a CD?
    It wouldn't.

The difference is that he used a real instrument. THe digital recording does capture a real instrument very well.
    A digital piano is going to sound fake no matter how it is played. (unless of course it is a REALLY high quality one.

14. Gib

Gib Active Member

Whoa Dale. I do understand the difference and that's not my point. But, thank you for your technical expertise.

In a worship setting, what is the difference in using an MP3 track of a regular piano playing Are You Washed In the Blood or playing it on a keyboard with a "fake" (their impression, not mine) digital sound? Does the worshipper really care? I don't. Not adding anything to it, just your best piano sample.

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Oh, I see.
    Your point is, who cares if you are using canned music for worship whether it is a real recording or if it was from a digital instrument. Makes sense.

Personally, I would rather have a live Digi Piano than a recorded steinway.

16. Touchet1611

Touchet1611 New Member

Let's see - some of you guys won't even like how the Lord returns - you will find something critical about that, too.

1) the digital fake sound is meaning that it doesn't have that irritating computery sound - make of that what you want. If you want me to come and play 'live' at your church, I would be glad to. :)

2) Just do a music HISTORY - no opinion needed. Rock music came from Ham and Classical, etc. came from Japheth - Oriental/Shem is the producer of New Age. Facts prove that out - I would suggest you put your opinion away and just read that history stuff. Is it possible you don't like that conclusion because it also shows that the banjo is a rhythmic instrument and you must admit it, that you like to have your flesh fed with rhythmic off-beat rock beat country beat hillbilly music.

3) I can do the arppegios and all that stuff if you want - but I got over the fancy 'hey folks, listen to me play fancy' stuff after I got to studying the Bible (KJV) on music.

4) I played them in their four part harmony for those who have a desire to sing a part or melody, etc. All the ornamentation and arpeggios, etc. tend to rob the simplicity and part singing from folks who get excited about the words more than they do the music.

5) Enjoy them - use them - send me money - haha - or just ignore them. It is your choice - ain't it great that America still has a little bit left of its liberty? That is more than I can say for some Christians these days.

6) Smile - some folks just take some things too seriously these days. Stick to the Word of God - the KJB - and watch the battles become the ones worth fighting.

7) Enjoy the hymns - especially the words when you sing along.

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I downloaded one of the songs and I think I know people who could use something like this.

One thing though, do you have it at something higher than a 15k mp3 file?
    I can understand small samples online but CDswith full quality would be useful for small churches that don't have a pianist.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, how did you record them?

Thanks.
    I am sure some will really be helped by this, and you sure can't beat the price :)

18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nobody denies that the beat of rock may have come from Ham and Classical from Japheth (but the new age is also, as the orientals (Chinese, Japanese, etC) are from Japheth, not from Shem. Meanwhile Shem's music was rhythmic too, and God accepted it on the OT).

The problem is using this to try to prove which one is "of the flesh" and which is "of the spirit". The Japhethites do not have the monopoly of the spirit, but before Christianization, were just as "fleshy' as anyone else, even with the dry somber music of the heathen Druids, the violin playing of the Romans, etc. Even after Christianization, there was still sin, with the dark ages of Catholicism. You KJVO's should be the first to know that. They too for a long time listened to plain chants, but was that right? So this whole "Ham=flesh, Japheth=spirit" argument is totally contrary to the Gospel.
    I wonder when some people are going to realize that this whole doctrine is only one small step from what we have been discussing here:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=30888
    People think they're even better than the Israelites God was closely working with, but just as they erred in thinking they were naturally special, Paul says it is not [any] children "of the flesh", and trusting in some physical inheritance (including culture, etc) is what is meant by "of the flesh" much moreso than any physical pleasure from some music rhythm.

Music issue treated: http://members.aol.com/etb700/ccm.html

#18 Eric B, Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2006
  19. Touchet1611

Touchet1611 New Member

I know very little about computers and recording. I just hung a computer mic behind my piano in my office - used wavpad - made them mp3 from the wav and there ya are.

I do send out CD's for those who 'beg' but I have no mass quantity way of copying - just one at a time and it takes 16 CD's to make the complete set of wav. I can send out the MP3 on one CD, though - I have sent some complete sets to various churches - and God has provided the costs one way or another...

I did not intend them for sale or for classy ears - just those who miss the good ole stuff that most churches don' t do anymore. They think they are archaic, as they do the KJB.

Pastors are not preaching Acts 17:23-26 anymore these days - they figure their church is a house of worship when in reality, they are becoming concert halls and rock concert stages.

Music has replace the Bible in many churches and individual lives - I have preached a number of sermons on music - being a former music teacher myself...

20. Gib

Gib Active Member

Far-hardy-har! :rolleyes: