1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Regular Baptist (revised)

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Frogman, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Virginia ORB

Virginia ORB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I heard Brother Elwood and Brother Jim were at Brother Hiriam's funeral. I have a lot of respect for Brother Elwood for being able to guide the churches and members peacefully through difficult circumstances and problems.

Brother Bob, again thanks for mailing me those minutes from the Sardis.

Brother Keith Deel

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are welcome and I respect Brother Elwood also and have for many years. Sad what happened but one day it will be alright.

3. bubba jimmy

bubba jimmy New Member

Wow, I'm surprised to see how many ORB churches are in Florida. It looks like the Myrtle church is the one closest to me. I may just try to look them up one of these days, if I can find out when they meet.

Brother Bob, I suspect there are more people from right around you on this board that those who are still there. Just judging from how many ORB churches have been established as far north as Michigan and as far south as Florida tells you how much migration has gone on. I was born in Pikeville and my family were all from Dorton, and I still get through that area every two or three years. But it would be hard to try to live there given that I'm still young enough to have to work to make a living for my family. My papaw was a coal miner, but I don't think it made its way into my blood. It's hard to make a living in Pike County, but it used to be a lot harder. Of course when I go back there nowadays I hardly recognize anything because of how they tore everything up building US-23.

But I'm way off the topic now, so I'll shut up...

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

bubba;
    It don't take too long to go to Southern Home from where you are at if you get a chance. Most of them know me over there. I don't know about Myrtle but I know some of their members know me. There is a sister Lowe there and her son.

5. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Little Ida

Brothers I believe its Bro.Ralph Caudill who was the moderator of the Little Ida Church, he has never been moderator of the NNS that was his cousin Roy.Indian Bottom has or had a Church in Floridia also.The pastor/moderator of Mary Elizabeth is Elder Hansford Short JR telephone # 813)-858-3474 Lakeland, Fl. I am with Brother Bob all churches are not the same, one is not as good as the other, especially if one is given to error and false doctrine.We all agree our children must be taught, and they need to see more love manifested between the members, I think the stand is the best place for preaching and teaching and from house to house,parents need to turn the television off, and talk with their children. I do not believe this will make christians, but when God awakes them from their dead state,and places a hunger and thirst in their bosom, they may look and go to the Old Regulars vs the modern church, which many ORB's children have done.Some brethern say well none of them were children of Grace anyway, or they would not have joined up with this or that outfit, but I don 't believe that has always been the case. I do believe when you have been raised it and taught it.It still there no matter what they call themselves ,they need to drop their pride and come on home. Bro.Slone

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are right old regular, it is Brother Ralph Caudill instead of Roy. I talked with a cousin in Michigan this week and I made the same mistake with him but he straighten me out for he had just talked with Brother Ralph on the phone.

7. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Hope Association of United Baptist

There are now three New Hope associations, The Elbert Howard /Albert King side, The Raymond Lycans side, The Teddy Evans side. The last two have seperated over the question of the innocent party in a divorce,being allowed to remarry a clean companion after church membership, the Sovereign Grace association would allow the remarriage, but would not allow, anyone with two living wives to preach or be a deacon(two living means ex-wife/current wife).Some churches in the Indian Bottom would allow the innocent party to preach but not be ordained. Bro. Slone

8. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elder Edwin Hay

Brother Edwin Hay and the Rebbecca Church belong to no association, but the do work with the Mt.Olivet ORB ,And an Old United Baptist Church. I spoke to him by telephone, his wife Polly is not able to travel much.Elder Hay has a good knowledge of the histories of the Old Regular Baptist especialy the Sardis Association. I have always liked him. Bro.Slone

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes, Bro Edwin Hay and Sister Polly are the greatest. He is a highly educated man with a Doctor degree. I doubt that he will ever come back to the Sardis but if Brother Ed Runyon were still moderator of the Rebecca Church they would never of left. You don't know the full story on that case and it really wasn't Brother Edwin's fault but was led by others.

10. Virginia ORB

Virginia ORB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Mike, tell me about the Solid Rock ORB Association. I've heard of it, but do not know much about it.

By the way, we met at the Little Freedom Church where my grandmother is a member at.

Bro. Keith Deel

11. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Solid Rock Association

The Solid Rock Association is made up of churches that are called Regular Baptist, that formerly belonged to the Mountain Liberty Association, others churches in that association were community churches of which I do not know their orgin. The leadership and several of the churches left, the ML association, after Mountain Liberty was dropped by the Mountain Association over preaching men that have more than one living wife( otherwise have been divorced and remarried and more than one of their wives are living).These men had been ordained prior to their churches becoming a member church of Mountain Liberty. Brother Elmer took the whole church and these men with it, it started a stir, even with associations that used the innocent party but would not ordain them, it was also told, that these churches felt that Mountain Liberty was moving closer to the churches that had came out of NNS, that were more conservative on these issues, Thorton Union was also in debate over this issue. I think Bro. Daryl Newsome knew this, and felt, that if his churches pulled out, the strife would cease and it did.These churches still preach with other old Regular Baptist, and they seem to take in alot of members from other associations in this situation, I do not agree with the Solid Rocks position on this ,but I do consider many of them as friends,they have not agreed with me on several issues, nor I with them, but we don't fuss over it, we don't correspond. They have ,age of accountabilty as an article of faith, I don't believe God has an age picked out in which he vists somone ,like many say it is 12 y.o. I find no such doctrine under Grace, God vists whoever he wants to when he wants to ,some very young and some like Abraham, who was very old, I believe I was borned in sin, I did not have to step out into it, because it was already in me, although I did understand this until God shined his light. Bro.Slone p.s Good to hear from you Bro.Deel

12. Loria27

Loria27 New Member

Please Help!!

Okay...I am more than likely in the wrong place but I am looking for some information about a preacher/brother or anyone who can marry my fiance and I. I grew up in the Old Regular Baptist Church and my mother was a member of the Rose Of Sharon Church in Waynesburg Kentucky untill she passed away in March of 2000. I have been looking for a church to attend here in Columbus Ohio but have had no luck finding one. Any help from anyone would be so appreciated and I do apologize for posting this here...but I honestly didn't know any other place to put this.
    Thank you, Loria*

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Little Angel
    Forest Osborne
    2744 S. High St
    Columbus, Oh43207
    Phone 614-492-9435

The moderator of that church just died. His name was Hiram Adkins. I gave you the clerk's address and phone number. You can call him and get all the information you need.

Good luck to you and congratulations!

14. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hiram Adkins

Sorry to hear of Brother Hiram Adkins passing, he surley will be missed, I have many memories of him. Brother Grover Adkins and I were good friends, I used to preach in their Union meeting every year there for awhile at Fords Branch and also at Island Creek. One of the oldest Elders in the Old Regulars lives in the Columbus area and he is friends with Brother Forrest. Elder Fred Charles telephone number 614-875-3121 he lives in the Orient area. He enjoys talking about the Bible and he can give you alot of history about the ORB. Bro.Slone

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Brother Hiram and I went to Columbus to baptize a woman just before He died and we stayed with I think Brother Fred and his wife. I took part in the first night of Brother Hiram's funeral. Was the biggest crowd with 67 preachers in attendance.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I think I am wrong where Bro Hiram and I stayed in Columbus after thinking about it. I believe the Brother and Sister we stayed with were the "Browns".

17. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Columbus,Ohio

I think New Salem has or had a Church in the Columbus area, Mud River also held house meetings around that area at one time, Brother Luther Ball is not as active as he once was. Sovereign Grace Association will soon have a new website, there is a Brother in the Pellyton,Ky area working on it. He owns Cumberland Books, they are home schooling their children, which I think is much better than having them attending public school, all of us however do not have this option. I currently have two biological children at home and four foster children,the state mandates that the foster children be in the state school system, I work nights at the hospital and it would be almost impossible for me to home school at this time.We did have a private teacher at one time teaching my youngest girls at home but her husband passed away, and she went back north to be near her family.We hope to someday have a school at the church at Blessed Hope, though it would have to function by itself and not as part of the church, but could use the church buildings and grounds. The other churches except Mt.Moriah are large enough for the same, but at this time there are not enough local families to maintain a school.Some of the members and friends that attend our churches homeschool, these families tend to perfer an old fashioned church, with solid christian values. I do believe if the old Regular Baptist Churches are going to grow during this trying time, it will mainly come from men and women who have been called out of darkness,who desire a more conservative lifestyle , living in the world but not part of the world. Brother Slone

18. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sovereign Grace Association of Old Regular Baptist of Jesus Christ

The Sovereign Grace Association of Old Regular Baptist Churches of Jesus Christ will soon have a website, sponsored by Cumberland Books. The website will start out small at first but it is our hope it will grow and provide information,on the doctrine,practice,faith and order of our small churches.The site is to include the weekly services at the Blessed Hope Church, and contain articles that favor our views both current and historical, the historical articles may come from some of the older associations Elders, who advocated free grace, and from other old school baptist that have shared our doctrine,faith and practice.We hope it will be a help to those ,trying to understand our positions. We don't believe that tapes,CD,s etc... should replace anyone from attending a local church, that is sound, but there are many shut ins etc all over the country , who get lonesome to hear at least that old time sound.While the sound can be captured on audio/video I never felt the Spirt could be,thats why it is most important to attend church when at all possible, I do not like to hear myself on tapes etc..... and there are others who are afraid that what they say maybe taken wrong, that is why this site is not for debate, but for educational purposes. I do not know when it will be up and running. I will try to keep you posted, if the entire services are going to be down loaded it may take some time for those on dial up, so they may make the CDs available.Brother Slone

19. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Salem Church in Columbus

I think the New Salem Assn. Church in Columbus was called Mt. Judah, Brother Bob may be able to tell you more. Bro.Slone

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are correct old regular.

Mt. Judia
    Columbus, Ohio
    Clerk Rueben L Gillman
    2325 Ashley Dr.
    Columbus, Ohio 43224
    Phone 614-471-3911

This was the clerk in 2004
    I guess he still is.