1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NASB 1977 vs. 1995 edition

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Amy.G, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This is for my brothers who are the resident experts in Bible versions. :)

I just purchased a Key Word Study Bible in the NASB (thanks to a 40% off coupon from Lifeway that was burning a whole in my pocket :laugh: )

I'm really enjoying the NASB, but found out it is the 1977 edition. I keep hearing that the 1995 is better and easier to read. The edition I have isn't difficult to read, at least I don't think so, so I was just wondering what the differences are between the 2 editions. I have noticed the Psalms and prayers are in old english, which surprisingly, I really like.

Thanks for the input. :thumbs:

2. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

The big difference I've noticed, besides the occasional word here and there, is that the 1977 edition has anything directed toward God in Elizabethan style English. I go to a school whose standard is the NASB, and students, teachers, and books employ a combination of the two editions. I don't raeally have trouble reading either one.

Michael

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Does it not state the main differences in a Forward or Preface in the front of your new Bible?

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. It says the Psalms and prayers to God are in the old english but it makes no reference to the 1995 edition.

5. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Amy, the Lockman Foundation claims that "in perfecting the updated NASB, more than 20 translators spent nearly three years scrutinizing the NASB in order to modernize and maintain it in accordance with the most recent research on the oldest and best manuscripts. Thus, some passages have been updated for even greater fidelity to the original manuscripts."

It seems that in the 1995 version the passages with Old English "thee's" and "thou's" etc. have been updated to 'contemporary' English, and words and phrases that could be misunderstood due to changes in their meaning during those 20 years were revised to current English standards. Verses with difficult word order or vocabulary were retranslated to sound 'smoother'. Many sentences in Greek begin with "And" (kai) which always seems awkward in literal English translations (not just the NASB), so many of those verses were changed to "but" and "then" etc. depending upon context.

I have the older NASB.

#5 franklinmonroe, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It sounds like there's really not a lot of differences. I do like the old english in the psalms.

Thanks for your help! :)