1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Primitive Baptist and Old regular baptist don't use instrumental music

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Old Union Brother, May 12, 2011.

1. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Over in another thread the question was asked:

I'm not Primitive Baptist but I can answer the question. I am an Old Regular Baptist and we have the same belief in using no instrumental music as the Primitives. No where in the NT is the use of instrumental music used in worship. Please read the following from one of the Primitive Baptist brothers:

The entire article on why instrumental music is not used can be found here.

2. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

In the Psalms, we are told to praise the Lord with stringed instruments, cymbals, etc..

True there is no command to use musical instruments in the New Testament, but on the same token, there is no command NOT to use stringed instruments.

Paul told Timothy that

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

Psalms are part of Scripture, and therefore can be used for instruction in righteousness.

So, in light of the fact that we are told to use musical instruments, it is clear that when we don't, we are in disobedience to God's Word.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also I Cor. 14:26 ("when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm")

I wonder do the Primitives sing the Psalms?

You know the ones that exult about praising the Lord with harp and psaltery:eek:, trumpet and cymbals:eek:.

How awkward is that?

4. Old Union Brother

The history forum is not a debate forum... I was answering a question posed... I am not attacking anyone's way of worship....It is obvious that you did not read the article...You need to take heed to your signature line....

5. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Merely pointing out a fact that is backed by Scripture.

And I was pointing out that fact in love, so I was in line with my signature :wavey:

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is correct. However, I don't see how the topic (as it is posed here) can keep from engendering debate.

The topic is worthy of consideration, so I am moving it to the theology forum.

7. Old Union Brother

I had no intent on this becoming a debate I was simply answering a question posed in another thread. I will not get involved in debate over this.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your sincere contribution:thumbs:

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Yup, an excellent question.

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I am not debting this but have a question. This seems close to the Church of Chrsit belief also, what are the differences in doctrine betwwen the Primitve, Okld Union and C of C?

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thare are also some Reformed churches that do not use instruments in worship. The Free Church of Scotland has only just changed its policy on the matter and the FCS (Continuing) and some other smaller groups continue to sing only unaccompanied metrical Psalms.

Spurgeon never had an organ or other musical instruments in the Met Tab and here is at least one Reformed Baptist church in England that is a capella (the term means, of course, 'in the chapel'). http://www.salisburyemmanuel.org.uk/

The rationale behind this is that the Temple worship of the OT with its choirs and instruments, priests and incense, is all gone in the New Covenant and therefore only worship prescribed in the NT should be performed (Heb 8:13 etc.). Since instruments are not mentioned in the NT, they have no place in New Covenant worship.

For myself, I think the use of an instrument to keep the congregation in time and in tune is acceptable, but I deplore all the entertainment, the noise and the worldliness of so many churches today. Maybe that's got something to do with my age, but maybe, like the Puritans of old, we should be looking for a simpler, purer form of worhip.

Steve

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IE....no bongo players need apply....LOL

13. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

"in tune and in line"

The PB church in my area does this by use of a "music school" camp type thing that is held every summer.

Their form of a capella music is a cultural art form that should be respected.

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the same token, I wonder if those who insist on using the Old Testament as a basis for use of instruments in music, still sacrifice animals ?

15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This is a very antiquated position that is a tiny speck of a minority. I respect them for holding on so strongly, but I have to believe it's now more traditionalism than anything else.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that they do Pino....but now they have a pianist accompany the sacrifice.....(Sarcasm) :laugh:

Guess I'm just being a mean Calvinist:tongue3: Bang zoom!

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    & being a music teacher and all.....could this possibly cloud your judgement?

18. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Not to debate but another question here in 1 Corinthians 14:6Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

7And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?

8For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

Verse 7 talks about the use of instruments and in context with verse 6 it would appear Paul is saying that the Corinthians were using instruments in their churches. His point in them was that they must have a distinct sound one that is known. When a song is played on them it must be known the tune must be familiar to the hearer. Most of the old hymns are very easily recognized (known) when they are played. So how do you interpret this?
    Paul was not condemning musical instruments he was just saying they must make distint sounds. Just as the tongues (languages) did no good without revelation or knowledge or prophysing or by doctrine. They are worthless if it is not known waht is meant by them.

Then of course we are told throughout the book of revelation of harpers harping. Even calling them the harps of God.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats correct Steve.....Here is CHS's commentary:

As for instrumental music, I fear that it often destroys the singing of the
    congregation, and detracts from the spirituality and simplicity of worship. If I could
    crowd a house twenty times as big as this by the fine music which some churches
    delight in, God forbid that I should touch it; but let us have the best and most orderly
    harmony we can make—let the saints come with heir hearts in the best humour, and
    their voices in the best tune, and let them take care that there be no slovenliness and
    discord in the public worship of the Most High.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Key word is often.

Bingo.

Spurgeon made short shrift of their stale opinions in his sermon "Beware of Unbelief":

More, from the pages of his Sword and Trowel: