1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free Kindle books

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by exscentric, Apr 2, 2012.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #3 exscentric, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  4. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

I like the feel of a real book in my hands.

While I appreciate technology - I've resisted buying an electronic bookreader. I prefer to have the real thing in my hands - and I enjoy putting books on my library shelves after I've read them. Though often the books end up in boxes in my house or shed - cause I don't have room for all of them.:)

Can't get into all technology,
    Dan Todd

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Dan - I felt the same way but I have to say that having the Kindle and the Kindle app has really upped my reading. Being able to access free books or books that we need right away has been wonderful. Even hubby, who doesn't have a Kindle but the Kindle app on his laptop, finds being able to purchase books for his sermon prep really helps and getting them immediately is even better!!

I do still like real books but as I've used my Kindle more and more, I'm finding I'm not so apt to buy books unless they are going to be favorites. I've had my Kindle for a year and I've bought one real book - John Frame's The Doctrine of the Word of God. See, that will be a book I'm going to be writing in a lot so I wanted the real thing. But for fiction and to read a book that I might not want to keep? The Kindle is amazing.

There is a Kindle app for most anything and if you want to take advantage of any of the free books, you can get them even without the Kindle. Then if you ever do get a Kindle, you can register it and download all of your purchased books onto it!

6. LillyoftheValley

LillyoftheValley New Member

I definitely agree with Dan on this. Nothing like the real thing.

That's where my local used book store comes into play. I can buy the book at a fairly cheap price, and when I'm finished I turn it in for credit towards my next purchase. Sometimes the library is even a great place to go. I often forget it's there until I'm ready to go get a book for one of my kids, but our local library actually has a great selection of christian fiction as well as the standard stuff.

7. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to have a fair library but have given most of it away due to inactivity. I have most of it in digital format anymore. My free Bible program has a better commentary/dictionary/book library than the shelves ever had. 2000 plus resources and some of them are multi volume sets.

I also have 20,000 volumes or so in just reading material for computer. My kindle has 1200 or so right now. The old question, if you had to be deserted on a desert isle with five books what would they be.

Let's see my kindle, my netbook with esword, my 10 inch tablet and why bother with the other two :)