1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Isaiah 53:5 With His Stripes we are healed?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rachel, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Isa. 53:5
    5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

What does the above verse really mean, specifically 'and with his stripes we are healed'? I think it means to be healed from the disease of sin, a spiritual healing. But many believe it's a scripture to say and be used for physical healing of our bodies if we are sick or have cancer, etc.

~Matthew Henry commentary of Isaiah 53:5....
    (5.) The consequence of this to us is our peace and healing, v. 5. [1.] Hereby we have peace: The chastisement of our peace was upon him; he, by submitting to these chastisements, slew the enmity, and settled an amity, between God and man; he made peace by the blood of his cross. Whereas by sin we had become odious to God’s holiness and obnoxious to his justice, through Christ God is reconciled to us, and not only forgives our sins and saves us from ruin, but takes us into friendship and fellowship with himself, and thereby peace (that is, all good) comes unto us, Col. 1:20. He is our peace, Eph. 2:14. Christ was in pain that we might be at ease; he gave satisfaction to the justice of God that we might have satisfaction in our own minds, might be of good cheer, knowing that through him our sins are forgiven us. [2.] Hereby we have healing; for by his stripes we are healed. Sin is not only a crime, for which we were condemned to die and which Christ purchased for us the pardon of, but it is a disease, which tends directly to the death of our souls and which Christ provided for the cure of. By his stripes (that is, the sufferings he underwent) he purchased for us the Spirit and grace of God to mortify our corruptions, which are the distempers of our souls, and to put our souls in a good state of health, that they may be fit to serve God and prepared to enjoy him. And by the doctrine of Christ’s cross, and the powerful arguments it furnishes us with against sin, the dominion of sin is broken in us and we are fortified against that which feeds the disease.

So what does it really mean??

Isaiah 53
    1Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? 2For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. 7He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. 8He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. 9And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 11He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 12Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think it means spiritual healing when we are saved and physical healing when we (including our bodies) are totally redeemed in heaven. So the healing is in 2 stages:
    1. Spiritual upon salvation
    2. Physical and all else later on

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

If it meant immediate physical healing---we would be in a constant state of being healed---in which contridicts the verse that teaches that our bodies "groan earnestly desireing to be put upon with our bodies from heaven."

Ditto Marcia on this one

Spiritual healing upon salvation
    Physical healing upon resurrection of the body

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I agree with Marcia and Blackbird on this.

5. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Yeah, that's what I thought. So why do so many say we can claim that verse and get healed physically now before Heaven? That God WILL heal us (while on earth). Is it just a matter of interrupting it wrong?

6. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I am not saying God won't heal someone, and immediately if He wanted, I've seen Him do it. But that is completely up to Him if He does heal our body of some sickness or disease.
    I just get so tired of hearing people talk about God like He is at our mercy and HAS to do whatever we want Him to do. Like God is our personal genie or Santa. :mad: :(
    Thy will be done.

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I don't really know Rachel. The verses that I claim when it comes to things in this world are verses like, "If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Because it makes for good tv ratings to see people being shoved to the floor. :D