1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The End of the NIV84?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by RG2, Mar 3, 2013.

1. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never really been a user of the NIV 84, but I heard from a friend of mine that the NIV 84 has basically been removed from all online websites (Blue Letter Bible, YouVersion, etc). Does this mark the final demise of the NIV 84?

Funny thing is I don't think there was any announcement of this. It just "went away."

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found this buried on the website of the corporation that owns NIV:

http://www.biblica.com/niv/previous-editions/

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zondervan experienced great strife during their introduction of the TNIV.

The NIV2011 is very similar to the TNIV.

I'd guess that their decision to no longer offer the NIV '84 is related to that.

Rob

4. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon is gonna go spastic when he sees this!! :laugh: :smilewinkgrin:

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been removed from my Bible app on my Android phone.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is the reason our church has now officially changed from using the NIV.

7. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

I thought youversion still had it, but it has been removed as has the TNIV. The NIV 2011 and the readers version are all that remain. Christianbook dot com and other sites are still selling the 1984 NIV however, and you can get some good deals.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, you just know he is upset when he starts correcting everyones grammar. That's his way of telling you....:laugh:

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, YouVersion is the name of the Android app. When I went to check and see if it had been removed my phone was constantly loading their web page because the NIV84 was the last version I had been reading on my phone. I had to find a way to get the phone out of the endless loop of looking for the NIV 1984 that was no longer there.

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Not A Problem For Me......

I'll just stick with my trusty old KJV....! Enough said.

Bro.Greg:saint:

11. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is no longer on biblegateway either!!!

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's OK, it now has 'The Voice' and the NRSV.

Bible Gateway Press Releases page:

Not a peep there about the 'disappearing' of NIV1984.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Buried in the Bible Gateway forums is this FAQ from 'Bible Gateway content manager' Andy Rau:

https://support.biblegateway.com/forums/21800162-NIV-Transition

Now that's convenient:rolleyes:

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Which one? That also has many versions. :)

15. Bronconagurski

Thankfully I have NIV 84 on my computer software that I bought from Wordsearch, so they can't take that away. It is all designed to force people to use the new version. Most churches probably do so, but I have heard of some moving to other versions, such as the NLT and HCSB, to name a couple. I guess they didn't pull the written copies from the bookstores as they still like to make money and the stores do as well. You can get the NIV 84 Archaeological Bible on christianbook.com for 29 bucks in one imitation leather binding and in the 30s for genuine leather. That is a great bible imo that is being sold for a song. It has good pics and info of a lot of the great archaeological info that supports the bible. I have a hard copy for study but am thinking about getting one that I can carry to church before they are all gone. I presume they will all be gone one day as they are not making more of them to my understanding. There are other deals as well, like the Ryrie Study Bible (good for young Christian that is dispensational) in the NIV 84 for 19 bucks in imitation leather. I bought one just because it was so low. I am a sucker for bibles. I need to sell some on ebay that I don't really like or use. Oh, and the NIV 84 Archaeological bible gives you a disc to download the bible, or a website, so you can get the NIV 84 on your computer that way.

#15 Bronconagurski, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You guys are way behind the times. Quite the contrary B4L,I am happy that the older NIV has been phased out from being published. You don't know me at all...do you?

You should see reviews of the 2011 NIV,HCSB and ESV on the WELS website. It will clue you in on what is the all-around best English translation.

#16 Rippon, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  17. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Any of the 1/2 dozen or so that I have will do. I mostly use my Old Scofield (yes...I KNOW the notes are not inspired) and I do like the "Defined King James Bible" that I got from D.A.Waite's ministry a few years ago.:applause::thumbs:(Most of them are probably 1769 editions)

Bro.Greg:saint:

18. Bronconagurski

Then why the reluctance to keep the NIV 84 out there? It is part of history and should be available to let people make up their mind which is the best version. Was the NIV 84 wrong all the years it was out there? Seems that is what is being impressed by your words saying you are happy that is being phased out as if it did not exist. Is it really just a control and money thing? Some think so, but I am not saying that is true. I don't know why they are acting so strange, imo.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize,do you not,that the TNIV was also phased out?

It's not a "control and money thing" as you so ineloquesntly put it. It's less confusing.

The 84 NIV was not" wrong all the years it was out there." All translations have the need to be updated and revised. The NIV is no exception.

Strange that you think it is strange. :)

20. Bronconagurski

I agree that all translations need updating, but did the ASV go away after the 77 and 95 came out? The ASV is still on youversion, as is the NASB. The TNIV was quickly replaced by the 2011, and that is strange. It had hardly been out there at all. The NIV 84 has been a standard for a lot of churches, and yes, I think it strange that youversion was strongarmed to take it off. It's strange that you do not, imo.