1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Difference Between Free-Will Baptists and SBC?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Bro. Jeff, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

Answer a question for me please. What is the major differences between a Free-Will Baptist and Southern Baptist?

I know sometimes denominational distinctions are hard to pin down but I'm hoping someone can give me some general info.

Thanks.

2. WonderingOne

WonderingOne New Member

Bro Jeff, I belonged to a Free Will Baptist Church for the first twenty-odd years of my life, and I can tell you what beliefs were held in that particular church. They preached that salvation is a result of repentence and belief in Jesus, but this was an act of free will. They did not preach predestination or eternal security...they believed it was possible to lose one's salvation, that if one died in a "backslidden condition," even though they had been saved at one time, they would go to hell. This was the biggest difference between Free Will and most other Baptists, along with the fact that they held foot-washing services every three months or so.

I hope this info has helped.

Carol

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

So the only difference is 'Once Saved Always Saved'? I always wondered too.
    Thanks Carol!

Diane

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once saved always saved is an extereme simplification of the differences. There is also the issue of foot-washing as an ordinance of the local church in most Free-will congregations. While in SBC churches you will find a calvinist here and there, in free-will churches you won't find any

5. WonderingOne

WonderingOne New Member

go2church, I would have to disagree with your assertion that the differenences I cited above (eternal security, the ordinance of foot washing) are an oversimplification of the differences between Free Will and most other Baptists. As I said, I belonged to a FWB church until I was in my early twenties, and I now belong to a Missionary Baptist. There may be some minor differences as to order of worship, music, etc., but these are the two biggest.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It involves so much more then not believing in eternal security. The real issue revolves around the free-will of humanity and if someone loses this free-will once they become saved. A bit more involved then you are letting on my friend