1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book of life vs Lambs book of life

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Kay, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Kay

Kay New Member

Are they the same book? You can have your name blotted out of the book of life which would destroy the teaching of eternal security. But seems to me like they are two different books
    Help?

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I only know of one book of life which belongs to the Lamb who was slain for our sin's. Where are you seeing "blotting" names out of this book?

3. Kay

Kay New Member

The book of life in Rev. 3:5 is the register of profession from which names will be erased according to this scripture

Lamb’s book of life Rev. 13:8; 17:8; refers to the Lamb’s book of life contains only the names of genuine believers from which No Names can be erased.

Seems to me they are two distinct books?

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes they are one and the same.

in Christ,

Bob

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

If you read Rev. 3:5 carefully it verifies eternal security;

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

It says IF you overcome, you'll get white raiment and He will NOT remove you from His book and will confess you before the Father. The key being NOT.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The key being the sequence "IF you...then HE"

7. Kay

Kay New Member

How about having your name blotted out of the book of life? How is that possible if eternal security is correct?Psalm 69 refers to blotting out someone's name out of the book of the living. However, Revelation 3:5 is stating that true believers' names will not be blotted out.
    How can they be the same book then?

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

There is likely no literal book, rather language made for people to get an idea. An omniscient God has perfect memory without need for any book. Any "blotting out" would make for a messy book indeed.

Maybe it is a big MySQL or Oracle database. :)

9. standingfirminChrist

The book of life and the Lamb's Book of Life are two different books

The book of life is a book recording the names of all who ever lived.
    The Lamb's book of Life records the names of those who have placed their trust in the Lord Jesus Christ.

When a unsaved person dies, his or her name is removed from the book of life. When a saved person dies, his or her name remains in the book of life, for death has no dominion over him or her. Like Lazarus, that one is only sleeping.

10. Kay

Kay New Member

StandingfirminChrist' I would have to agree with you It MUST be two books otherwise it makes no sense to me.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

SFIC, I have never heard that before. Can you point us to some scripture that proves there are two books?

12. standingfirminChrist

Scripture was posted above by Kay that shows two separate books.

Rev 3 and Rev 13

13. standingfirminChrist

Stands to reason there are two separate books. Else when did the book of life become the Lamb's Book of Life?

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Phl 4:3 Indeed, true companion, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in {the cause of} the gospel, together with Clement also and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

I think they are the same book. In this verse Paul is obviously speaking to other saved individuals whose names are in the "book of life". If the Lamb's book was a different one for the saved, I think Paul would have called it that.

15. standingfirminChrist

From the Moorish Bible Dictionary:

Registry of persons' names as living. One (also called simply God's book,) may be a book of those who only have a name to live, and consequently whose names may be blotted out. Ex 32:32-33; Ps 69:28; Re 3:5; 22:19.

Another is a book of the saved, from which none will be erased. Php 4:3; Re 13:8; 17:8; 20:12,15; 21:27.

A third (called simply 'the book,') contains the names of the remnant of Israel. Da 12:1.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The book of life belongs to the lamb so it always been the lamb's book of life. They just don't always preface it The Lambs...

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Your question (title of thread) was about the Book of Life vs. Lambs Book of Life. The 69 psalms refers to the book of the living but then goes on to say "... and not be written with the righteous." I don't believe this is the same book from your subject.

I take not be written with the righteousness as saying he will not write them in His (The Lambs) Book of Life. The Book of the Living is obviously not the same book. I further conclude the Book of the Living has nothing to do with eternal security for the righteous appearently are not written in this book.

Ps 69:28 (KJV) Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.

I said His (The Lambs) on purpose. Read v21 and I believe you will see what I mean.

Ps 69:21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

According to the 69th Ps v28, this book is called the Book of the Living and not the Book of Life.

Ps 69:28 (KJV) Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.

19. Kay

Kay New Member

No I do not believe you are correct. The Book of Life would be the same as the Book of the living and anyone who was ever born would have been in this book. If someone died unsaved there name would then be blotted out. Your name can not be blotted out of the Lambs book of life and that is why I say they are not the same book.

Here is another verse for pondering

Exodus 32:32-33.
    32Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.
    33And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book. Your name has to already be there, for it to be blotted out.

The "Lamb's book of life" is not the one mentioned where names will be blotted out.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree with the bolded part, however no where in your examples does it say the book of the living is the same as the book of life.

I still believe there is only one book of life and it belongs to the Lamb so can be referred to as the Lambs Book of Life.