1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why don't Baptists observe Lent?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J.D., Dec 20, 2007.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is a great error because look how many people we could witness to during lent. We could take advantage of the warm, fuzzy feelings of the season and spread the love of Christ to the world. Why do we let the Catholics get the advantage over us? Are we so narrow minded that we can't just esteem those days above others in the name of Christ?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I love lent. It's the best time of the year to get all of those good all you can eat fish deals at restaurants :)

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I observed lent in my dryer the other day.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I observe it in my belly button every day! :D

5. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Don't assume that all Baptists ignore Lent. As a pastor I have observed Ash Wednesday, Lent, Palm/Passion Sunday, and the Easter Triduum for years. And many, if not most, of the Baptist churches I know of in the DC area do so as well.

Like some of you, I grew up in a very Southern Baptist environment, where anything the Catholics did we did NOT do. My father-in-law was criticized when he chose to give our home church a brass cross to place on the Communion table, because "we are becoming too much like the Catholics." But why should we let them monpolize all the worthy traditions?

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I love fish too. :thumbs:

7. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The churches I have been in did nothing for Lent or Advent for years. Finally, my current church began celebrating Advent. With the proper introduction and education, the church members came to understand its value as we prepared for the coming of Christmas. Similarly, we have observed Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday with Lord's Supper Service, and Good Friday with a Service of Darkness, as our preparation for Easter Sunday. We had our first observance of Ash Wednesday earlier this year, but I did not think we did enough preparation and education beforehand. Maybe this year we'll do better.

I think, for a long time, Baptists viewed rituals as suspect because of their attachment to Catholics. I think we have gradually discovered that these rituals can be adapted to Baptist services, and that, when properly planned and carried out, they can add a great deal to our worship.

Tim Reynolds

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Our baptist church "rediscovered" Lent and Advent the last few years and now have some simple traditions associated with them to prepare ourselves for Christmas and Easter.

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Lent is a period for Catholics to 'deny' themselves and lately it has become a big joke. Some people I know give up watermelon or bubble gum...no sacrifice at all.

It is also a time for fasting and prayer. Most of the Catholics I know are at the Knights of Columbus on a 'liquid' diet during Lent.

Baptists are to 'die daily to self' not just during Lent...

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

But why should baptists or any Christians observe Lent? Where are we taught in the bible (by word or by example) to observe a forty-day period of fasting in the weeks leading up to Easter? How are you suggesting that we "observe" it? Do we get a "priest" to burn our "palm crosses" from so-called "Palm Sunday" the previous year, on "Ash Wednesday", and then have him mark our foreheads with the resulting ash? Hopefully not by following the advice for the keeping of Lent given on the site: http://www.catholicculture.org/liturgicalyear/activities/view.cfm?id=1016 (The items I've typed in purple are fine and biblical, but why only do them in Lent?)
    • Ideally, the members of the family should participate in daily Mass. If this is not possible, the readings from the Mass should be read and meditated upon daily. This could be done as a family, perhaps at the dinner meal. The Mass is the prayer of the Church, and the highest form of prayer. It also unites us with the whole Church in public prayer.
      A strong emphasis should be made in frequent reception of the sacraments of the Eucharist and Penance. We should learn how to daily examine our consciences.
      Another prayer of the Church is the Divine Office, or Liturgy of the Hours. Praying the Divine Office unites our prayers with the Liturgy of the universal Church.
    • The Stations of the Cross are special during Lent, because they meditate on the Passion of Christ. Usually the Stations are offered at the parish church on Fridays in Lent. They can also be prayed together as a family.
    Other Prayer Suggestions:
    • The daily rosary, especially prayed together as a family
    • Visits to the Blessed Sacrament
    • Personal meditation, especially with Scripture
    • Spontaneous short prayers or ejaculations, such as "Jesus, I trust in You."
    • Praying the Angelus at the 12:00 and 6:00 hours
    • Morning and Evening Prayer
    • Prayers Before and After Meals
    • Spiritual Communions
    • Praying the Seven Penitential Psalms (especially appropriate during Lent)
    "Warm" and "fuzzy" are not words I would associate with Lent; more like cold and austere.

Why can we not witness to people in those forty days as we do (or should do) during the other 325 days in the year? How do Catholics "get an advantage over us" by celebrating Lent?

11. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeh, catholic traditions have been a joke for years. Unfortunately, Baptists apparently want in on the joke. The Baptist church I joined told me that baptists go "only by the Bible" when I asked them why they don't light candles like the methodist church I was in before. "It's not in the Bible, so we don't do it". "Cool", I thought, that's the way it ought to be. But on Christmas night, they had a candle lighting service. When I asked them why they light candles on Christmas they said "because Jesus is the light of the world". I said "that's what my methodist church said about lighting candles, so what's the difference?" Response: "We have traditions around here, don't be a trouble maker". Same thing with Easter sunrise services. The more time I spend with Baptists the more I realize that they love tradition just as much as catholics do.

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

But remember that Baptist churches are not organised as a hierarchy, like (say) the Roman Catholics or the Anglicans. Each local Baptist church is autonomous under God. There is no such thing as a "Baptist Pope" or a "Baptist Archbishop". That means that you may find some local Baptist churches that love tradition, some local Baptist churches that are ecumenical, some local Baptist churches that are Charismatic, some local Baptist churches that are into "entertainment evangelism", and some that are none of those things.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I gave it up for lent... :thumbs:

14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, you are right. I just find it inconsistent and hypocritical to put down another church when for doing what your own church does, just not in every service. And it's especially greivous when a church claims to adhere to the regulative principle in the strictest manner, but yet will casually put it aside when it comes to their own local traditions.

I guess I just have a burr under my sadle because very early on in my church experience, I found the "bible only" claim very appealing, and as the years went by, I saw more and more that too many that make that claim don't really live by it.

15. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are on your way to sainthood! :saint:

16. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David Lamb,

re: "But why should baptists or any Christians observe Lent? Where are we taught in the bible (by word or by example) to observe a forty-day period of fasting in the weeks leading up to Easter?"

Exactly. Same as there is no instruction in the Bible to observe Christmas or Easter.

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I agree, and I would have said so in my previous message, but as the subject was Lent, and I have a tendency to be too "wordy", I only mentioned that part of the "liturgical year".

I would just add that, although there is no instruction or example in Scripture about keeping one particular Sunday a year to remember the Resurrection, we do read in the bible that the early Christians met for worship on the first day of the week because it was the day He rose.

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I grew up Southern Baptist in Baton Rouge---a south Louisiana city dominated by Roman Catholics

I remember in grade school----Fridays were "Fish Day"----fish for school lunch because the Catholics refrained from meat on Friday---those school cafeterias served "Lip smackin' good" fish

So Fridays were my favorite days----#1 because it meant the weekend and #2 it meant Fish for lunch

But I had a dad who taught us---reasoned with us from Scripture--the things concerning the Catholic lent----why "burden" yourself down with the tradition of abstaining from meats and whatever else you wish to abstain from during Lent in order to "get close" to God----but yet live like a Heathen the rest of the time doing as you please????

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The reason Baptists do not observe Lent is becuase they may have to give up a pot luck dinner.

20. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Failure to participate in the various religious holidays or the revelry leading thereto will have a serious effect on the profit margins of the merchants--worldwide. They will not allow it--nor will the holy see, although they did stop the mortal sin penalty for eating meat on Friday. The wonders of ex-cathedral are still with us.

The sellers of bunnies, chickens, eggs, bonnets and flowers, etc., will go out of business if we stop doing Easter, another pagan holiday. Strange, we have a consumer economy which is largely dependent on pagan holidays and credit cards to survive(?)

What is in your wallet?

Selah,

Bro. James

#20 Bro. James, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007