1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A.W. Pink - Spiritual Growth and The Attributes of God

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by markwaltermd, Apr 28, 2012.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here brother, same here. There is NOT much to be encouraged about with modern day 'mainstream Christianity', I certainly can understand a genius like Pink becoming disillussioned with it, especially with guerilla tactics like Jerome uses.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Auuuuggg....Jerome is a piker compared to some on here & in this world......Did you read the Andy Stanley post yet? Considering that kind of nonsense, you really have to be guarded for yourself & your family.

3. markwaltermd

markwaltermd New Member

Ha ha! I had forgotten about that Dr. Walter = Biblicist heckler.

Just call me Mark. I don't wear titles well, especially outside of work. The only reason that I chose the login name I did is because I find it easy to remember, since it matches my email address.

I think that a forum for reformed Baptists is a great idea. I'll have to look into the technical aspects of setting up a forum, since I've never done that. Let me check into some options with a couple of the web hosting companies, so that I get some concept of the cost to set up and maintain a forum.

I'm glad that the blog is well-received. It's not my intention to turn it into a Pink blog, despite the fact that I have an over-representation of his works there. I plan to add some more J.C. Ryle and John Owen in the near future. Scofield is a bit out-of-step with the other works there, but I have to confess my admiration for In Many Pulpits, despite certain passages which almost seem to have an Arminian bent. In the future, I also hope to post the Beveridge translation of Calvin's Institutes.

In the meanwhile, there will be some additional Pink works released over the next several weeks, and I hope to have The Doctrine of Sanctification completed by this coming weekend.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be greatly appreciated Mark!

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    think that we have enough 'fun" with our baptist bethren discussing things such as Sotierology, covenant/dispy, etc!

Question...

Do you hold to a reformed baptist theology, in that you hold to DoG and confessions/creeds, calvinist in eschatology with Covenants etc?

or to as some as I do, to DoG for salvation model, while still holding to Dispy aspects of end times?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't it make more sense to have those holding to strictly reformed views migrate over to the puritan board instead of setting up a seperate forum section here? As believe that over there have a board for adult baptism believers in reformed theolgy, and that would cover baptists!

I personally enjoy interaction between say Icon/earth wind and fire etc and we "traditional" baptists here on the BB!

7. markwaltermd

markwaltermd New Member

The Puritan Board wouldn't work. I found them to be very intolerant overall. I was kicked off the forum after adding a work by Scofield to my blog.

I find it very easy to hold brotherly dialogue with traditional Baptists, since I was raised in a traditional Baptist church and since I currently enjoy fellowship in a traditional, independent Baptist church.

I've given this some thought since EWF gave me the idea. Setting up a domain and a forum is the easy part. If I do that, I want to make sure that it's done for a good -- the right -- reason. I don't think that those who hold to the DoG are, in anyway, antagonized here. I like this forum. There are a number of folks who have a reformed Baptist perspective and -- like me -- don't have access to or don't belong to a reformed Baptist church. A specific forum might be helpful in that way. I'm examining my heart on this one. I would only launch a forum if it were God-glorifying and edifying to believers -- otherwise, I'd rather not. I should come to a decision on this within the next day.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Couple of things to consider in regards to this also would be:

Would it promote or hinder unity of the bethren, as being Baptist, shouldn't we all "get together" whether reformed, cal/arm etc?

Also, would you allow those of us here as myself who hold to DoG as regards to salvation, but do not hold to reformed as in covenant theology/eschatology/creeds/confessions?

9. markwaltermd

markwaltermd New Member

As far as unity -- which I promote as far as I am able -- is concerned, I guess the question would be, What is the function of any forum? Are they necessarily there to promote disunity? Should we view the creation of a forum the same way as we do a schism in a church membership? I wouldn't consider creating a forum for the purpose of promoting disunity. When it comes to doctrinal differences, I sidestep disagreements and tend to remain silent on all minor doctrinal differences. I hold to the DoG, but I remain undecided in terms of my eschatology -- I may be a premillenialist yet. Clearly, that doesn't count as a major doctrinal difference in my book, so long as we agree that Christ is coming back for his bride. While I see the place of creeds, I also believe that it is unreasonable to hold anyone to a man-contrived statement of beliefs, even if it is proposed that they are derived from Scripture truths. The greater question is, Do we agree on key truths?

I haven't made a decision yet. I'll think more on it this evening.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im neither a Covenanter Or a Dipsy. I am strongly Doctrines of Grace in my salvation theology & I am orthodox in my theology... why are you asking?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said anything about doing it here....Im pushing for a separate forum. I personally do not believe it will work in this existing forum because of some of the issues you bring up. however if Mark wishes to try, please be my guest (I will support it/ was pretty sure I was going to leave so).... & perhaps it will bring back many of the "reformed types" who have become disgusted with the place & have left to pursue other interests.

#31 Earth Wind and Fire, May 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark if your going to do it then you will have to devote enough time to it....like an MD devotes his time to the patient. Bed side manner is no substitute for the right diagnosis.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    just was asking if you consider yourself as being "fully reformed!"

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would those baptists who hold to 'reformed" as the basis of Sotierology, but have not taken over entire system as regards to eschatology be able to come on in and discuss?

or could it be 5 pointers/reformed "full" calvinists and another for 4 pointers, baptsist calvinist such as at DTS?

15. markwaltermd

markwaltermd New Member

If I did it, I couldn't see making it that particular or exclusive. All of the above that you just mentioned should be welcome. I'm more of a premillenialist myself. I will be looking at some hosting options this weekend.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that would be very interesting!

think that we could have a board somewhat like the puritan Board, but hopefully with a more Christian tone and atmosphere!

17. markwaltermd

markwaltermd New Member

I just added an ebook which is a compilation of C.H. Spurgeon sermons and writings in defense of each of the Doctrines of Grace. These have been freely available at several web resources, yet not compiled into a single ebook volume. Give it a look!

http://calvinistcafe.blogspot.com/

18. markwaltermd

markwaltermd New Member

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Mark...I will be very happy to check it out!:thumbs:

20. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Looks good:applause: :thumbs::thumbs: I will add it to my list.