1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Difference between Bible and Baptist Churches

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by labaptist, Nov 1, 2012.

1. labaptist

labaptist Member
    Site Supporter

What is the difference between bible churches (I'm particually thinking of those linked to Dallas Theological Seminary) and baptist churches? It seems like they have very similar beliefs.

2. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since they are non-denominational they can vary greatly, since anyone can call themselves a "bible church" like anyone can call themselves a "baptist church." Most bible churches I've seen aren't any different than most baptist churches I've been in. As can be expected the ones with DTS ministers tend to fall in line with the DTS beliefs.

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

So, what does naming a church or denomination "bible" mean or imply -- that they use the Bible and no one else does? That they believe it and no on else does?

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I don't think it is meant to be pajorative, rather simply they want everyone to know they value the Bible very highly...just as a humble baptist would readily concede that there are non-baptist churches who practice Baptism correctly.

5. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That was a good answer.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Most All Protestant churches in the US are contaminated by Darbyism even though a corrupted version of Calvinism is appearing.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    actually, someone like me experiences best of both worlds, as I am a calvinistic Dispy!

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by your above Highlighted statement?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you are half right anyway. :smilewinkgrin:

10. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

FWIW, my experiences in both se PA & middle TN going back as far as 1969 to the present is that you really can't make a broad-brushed, all-encompassing, ALWAYS-true judgment on either ALL so-called "Bible" churches or ALL churches that identify themselves as "Baptist."

IOW, you simply have to evaluate each local assembly by itself to be able to come to any valid conclusion(s).

I've been in "Baptist" services that were a complete disaster (e.g., one where the preacher's sole sermon was simply a review of the works of Ernest Hemmingway!!!), & I've also attended so-called "Bible" church services where there was good, very solid EXPOSITORY preaching (Is there REALLY any other kind of truly edifying Bible preaching??!!??) :smilewinkgrin:

I've learned that one truly can't "judge" a local assembly solely on its name.

Why?

Well, you might recall that Charles Haddon Spurgeon, "the PRINCE of Preachers," and the one that most every Baptist will invoke to prove his/her point on just about EVERY theological topic there is, was, for many years, pastor of London's Metropolitan Tabernacle. That mega-church didn't have "Baptist" in its name when CHS was its pastor!! :thumbs:

My point?

Simply that you can't truly make a valid conclusion of ANY local assembly JUST because it does (or doesn't!) have the word "Baptist" in its name!! :tonofbricks: