1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rewards in Heaven

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by drfuss, Aug 11, 2008.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

We hear about rewards in heaven. Recently, I have been wondering about just what is the nature of the rewards we that are to receive.

Christians will be with the Lord. Just what will be any additional rewards?

Rewards imply that some will get something and some will not, or some will get more than others. If there are differences in status, would that be important to us in heaven anyway? Will it matter to me if your mansion is bigger than mine, for example?

I have not heard this being discussed. Does anyone have any thoughts on or references that discuss just what these rewards actually consist of?

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no mansions in heaven, just poor translations of some passages of the bible here on earth.

I believe heaven will be unlike anything we can imagine, far better than some stupid house.

As to whether some will recieve "more" than others???? I don't think anyone that gets there will really care, we will be too busy praising God and enjoying Him forever.

peace to you:praying:

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I personally feel that we will all be liken unto Jesus Glorious body, so how could one be more that the other.

1Cr 12:23And those [members] of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely [parts] have more abundant comeliness.

BBob,

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Here is the list of Crowns from Naves Topical...

CROWNS

an imperishable wreath or crown... 1 Corinthians 9:25
    a crown of exultation... 1 Thessalonians 2:19
    A crown of righteousness... 2 Timothy 4:8
    the crown of life... James 1:12; Revelation 2:10
    the crown of glory (for faithful elders)... 1 Peter 5:4 (this one is commonly known as the pastoring crown)

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: I tend to agree with the above comments.

So why do we hear about different rewards in heaven? Are there any scriptures that tend to support different rewards in heaven. I just did a word search on heaven and here are four scriptures that could be used to support the concept of different status and separate rewards in heaven; all spoken by Jesus.

Matt. 5:19 - Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matt. 6:20 - But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

Matt. 11:11 - Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Matt. 18:4 - Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Any comments or explanations?

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This did come up on another thread but I can't recall which one. I was asserting that one can find teachings on rewards and posted several scriptures to that effect. I have to go out now so can't find them now.

Also, there seems to be degrees of punishment -- Jesus spoke of this.

Maybe someone else can find the thread (the topic was not rewards) or post those scriptures.

My pastor thinks rewards may have to do with capacity to enjoy Jesus. He is not saying that is it - it's just his idea. The Bible does not tell us what these are but I think there are passages that indicate it.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I posed these verses on the other thread (I think it was the one on judgment):

There are also verses on degrees of punishment.

8. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: Okay, the above scriptures suggest that some rewards will be given according to works.

Back to the OP:
    "Rewards imply that some will get something and some will not, or some will get more than others. If there are differences in status, would that be important to us in heaven anyway? Will it matter to me if your mansion is bigger than mine, for example?"

Will rewards be important to us in heaven?

What will be the nature of those rewards?

Should the promise of rewards be important to us now? If not, why are they even memtioned?

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think because we don't know the nature of rewards, it's impossible to answer some of the questions you pose.

I do think knowing about reward should be important to us now. As you point out, what's the point of knowing about them if they don't matter to us now? Paul talked about it as a motivation: