1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A missionary gives his offering to:

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a thread about a missionary and where he should give his offering.
    see this link
    If a man goes to a foriegn county to start a church,
    where does he give his offering - send it back to his home church in Texas -or open a bank account in Wassiland in the name of a church?

#1 Salty, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2008
  2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that it is counter-intuitive to send money back to the home church. For example, if the home church is sending money to support the mission, what sense does it make to have the mission send money back? I say the missionary could give money to the mission church, which is being supported by the home church. This would be the functional equivalent of giving money to the mission through the home church.

3. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I like this!

Our church is not like this, though, so we send our tithes, offerings, and missions back to the Home Church.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We tithe to our local church - the church we started in Ireland, and have since its inception.

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

This is interesting.

Where in scripture do we see a missionary giving any sort of tithes or offering (by this I mean money)? They have pledged their entire lives to the spreading of God's word, is that not enough?

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God calls us to giving regardless of our circumstances, and if the missionary is led by God to give, then he should.

As for tithing, I do not believe in the practice, so I'm not going to worry about that one.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean that you only believe that the NT only teaches grace giving?
    IF so answer on this thread about thithing

We want to keep this thread on giving by missionaries and other who are by the Lords Service are not able to be active in their local church.

C4K - Do you hold membership in a Stateside Church - if no longer, how long was it before your only membership was in the churche you now serve in.

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I'm not arguing either of these. What I asked was do we have any example of a NT missionary who gave an offering of money to a local church or sent such back to Jerusalem. I can find several examples of money being sent for the support of the missionary, but none of the missionary sending back an offering to the church/a church/any church.

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, then I agree with you. I see no NT example, either.

10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Salt Lake City Baptist,

Nobody can participate in the thread you linked to. It has been archived, which means its closed.

And the only form of giving for Christians is what you called "grace giving".

The Tithe has no part of Christian teaching or giving.

Each Christian is to give whatever they choose to give, with no compulsion, or required amount of any kind....

:godisgood:

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I am a NT believer and not a Jew, I don't tithe at all. But I give faithfully from God's abundant gifts. And as a missionary church-planter, sent by a local church, I give to the church at which I am ministering.

We also still give to our sending church a "love gift" to help them (they are finishing a building program so we designate giving to help that project).

It is ODD to write a check to our church and then have that same $$ (and a tad more) come back to us for our expenses - we don't get a "salary" per se; just reimbursement of expenses.

Our elders (of the new work, now 3 years old and functional) suggested we NOT GIVE at all since they cannot really pay us yet, and we are hand-to-mouth . . but I believe God is faithful and we will give and God will take care of us more than we can ask or think.

12. Spinach

Spinach New Member

We have a different situation where we give more Home than we are given. It's a small church and if we didn't help with the missions fund, others would be dropped so that we could have (the church puts our part first).

It does seem like we are supporting ourselves, though...

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

#1 Who is Salt Lake City Baptist?
    #2 The purpose of the link was to let folks see what was said before so we dont rehas the whole subject - but you could make a comment on this thread
    #3 &4 Are you asking a ? or making a statement?
    #5 I agree with you

Salty

14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find the idea that a missionary must tithe back to his sending church to be ridiculous. If he wants to he may, but occasionally a church requires it and that's just plain counter-productive. If I could not tithe here in Japan there is so much we could not do for the Lord.

Here are my reasons:

Theological Considerations
    1. There is no evidence in the book of Acts that the missionary/apostles tithed back to the church at Jerusalem.
    2. There is no evidence in the book of Acts or the Pauline epistles that Paul and Barnabas tithed back to the church at Antioch.
    3. On the other hand, Acts 14:26 says the Antioch church commended them. The original for “commended” is paradidomi, a strong word which is also used for “cast out,” “deliver” or even “betray.” In other words, the Antioch church, though obviously not cutting all ties with the missionaries, very definitely relinquished control over them.
    4. In the 0ld Testament “the tithe is the Lord’s” (Lev. 27:30-32), not the temple’s. Even accepting the interpretation that in the church age the storehouse of Malachi 3 is the local church, it is still difficult to maintain that one’s tithe belongs to a particular local church.
    5. There are no commands in the New Testament regarding tithing to a church other than that which one is currently attended. On the other hand, there is a difficult passage in the Old Testament regarding what to do with the tithe when one is far from the Temple, and the passage does not teach sending it to the Temple (Deut 14:22-29).

Practical Considerations
    1. If the missionary’s tithe is sent back to the sending church, a vital source of ministry income is denied the use of the church on the field. This is especially true in an expensive country like Japan. This is especially important at the start of a church-planting effort, when start-up expenses (rent, Bibles, hymnbooks, etc.) are high and the only tithers are the missionaries.
    2. The pastor is to be an example to the flock (1 Tim. 4:12, Phil. 3:17. 2 Thess. 3:9. 1 Pet. 2:6). If a missionary must tithe to his sending church, he cannot be an example of tithing to the believers in the church to which he ministers.
    3. If the missionary’s tithe is sent to the sending church, some or all of the sending church’s support for the missionary is negated.

15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If I were a full-time missionary and I attended a church in my mission field on a regular basis that is where my tithe would go. If I started a church and served there I would tithe there. If I traveled from one place to another and had no church to call home where I served then I would probably send my tithe back to the church where my membership last resided.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree with you John.
    From a practical standpoint in many places it is almost impossible.
    People are sent to remote places where just receiving their support is difficult.
    Sending anything back is nigh to impossible. In a country I was once in, the money received was immediately converted into the currency of the nation one was in. The currency was restricted. In other words it would do no good outside of its own country. To send any money back, you would have to "buy back" your own currency. That defeats the purpose of the people supporting you, or is in the very least a waste of the money that they are supporting you with.

17. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true. Add to that the fact that the dollar is so weak around the world right now. Many missionaries are struggling financially--I know we are. And then does someone expect us to send back funds that could be used in the church we are planting here? Not going to happen.

18. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

SaltCityBaptist...

Hmmm.

For some reason when I tried the 1st time to click on the link you provided it didnt work, but now it does.

Strange creature, this internet. :laugh:

:godisgood: