1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What happened to transparency?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Robert Snow, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

http://www.christianity.com/blogs/beam/11610658/

Although I did not vote for President Obama, I did support his vision of change. I was hopeful that under his watch, things would change for the better for the American people. Now, it seems like nothing has changed except for the worse. Along with Congress, it appears like the White House is nothing more than politics as usual only with a different team in charge. I fear what the end result of this administration's policies will mean for the average American in the long run.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

As do I..........

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As should any person who thinks with more than a modicum of common sense!!

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it hard to believe that you ever thought it would be any different.

Welcome back to the real world.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I will just borrow from carpro. He says it best!

Portrait of a Liar

"I happen to be a proponent of single-payer, universal health care coverage." - Barak Obama, 2003

"If I were designing a system from scratch, I would probably go ahead with a single-payer system,"- Barak Obama, 2008

"I have not said I am a single payer supporter." - Barack Obama, 8/11/09

6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I guess it was wishful thinking on my part.

Thank you!

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't feel too bad. At least you woke up and smelled the coffee. I fear that is not the case with many of O's supporters. They've elevated him to a status where he can do no wrong no matter what. It will be too late when they finally realize what they've done.

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

"W's" damage was only child's play in comparison to the "O." God help us!!

9. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

R S
    I appreciate your comment.

Obama is a politician and politicians is what we have been choosing for years to lead us. Most of them are more full of the human condition than they are consciencable and aware of their human condition ......... to varying degree ......... so we elect for leaders those who are corrupt and some who are deceived but sincere in believing their deception and others who are sincerely deceptive to win the popularity contest and work their own purpose. Among some recent Presidents which I would 'catagorize' as being decieved but sincere are presidents Kennedy, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush 2. Among those who I would catagorize as deliberately being sincerely deceptive are LBJ, Bush 1, Clinton, and Obama. Unfortunately, I've voted for my share in both camps and most likely this will happen again, much to my own disappointment but consistance with what should be expected of human nature.

Some interesting definitions of "politician" follows:

Probably the most self-less person who ever led our country without the guile of ambition was George Washington. He was a man of principal who knew and guarded well his own person by those precepts which he used to lead others, as much by his example and personal restraint, self control, and humbleness.

Though we may idealize the founders of our nation..... as many have discussed on this board before....... they each had his own peculiar aspirations and ambitions, influence of philoophy, religion, and history, and together they had their share of interesting and vigorous conflict: Yet, most were men of deep convictions and moral principals who recognized that for men to be free it was most important to pass on to future generations concepts and precepts of self control and moral principal or eventually the moral corruption of a people would degrade and necessitate the heavy hand of government.

Robert, the greatest evil is in those who practice the art of deception at the expense of your trust and mine. Our own part and susceptibility may have to do with what is briefly and best explained in our desire to beleive all things, hope all things, (and the pain of) enduring all things. We sometimes fail to realize this work of charity or agape love to which God calls us to example and be is a relational aspect of person to person........ not of distance to persons we don't know or who wont ever know us....... a brief encounter and handshake at best, and more often a personality pushed ahead by advertising, media privilege, and reputation of promotional accomplishments and popularity accolades. If we will remind ourselves regularly of the truth which God has told us, briefly that there is none righteous, no, not one, that none seek after God; that all our good is as filthy rags...... we will adjust our own perspective and recognize our own human condition which allows us to participate and become a part of deception from time to time, and maintain a humbleness in ourselves and a skepticism of human nature which keeps us less determined that place our confidence in another because we think them true or in ourselves in thinking we have arrived at all truth.... but, instead, keep seeking and testing to establish that which is true from that which is false. With this desire and making request of God, his holy spirit will guide us and stir us up and eventually clear that fog of deception provided we never give up the quest. This means also that we place no confidence in our own position but only in God and his Word which is always faithful and unchangable.

(Incidentally..... Just a thought and a play off on Obama's mantra of 'change'..... if God is unchanging and always good........ why is it the promise of "change" is so seductive?)

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like that happens about 99.99% of the time with the politicians that we elect.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious...
    What finally made you come to this realization?

The constant lies, secrecy, and attacks on personal freedom?

Or was it a singlle egregious affront that finally pushed you over the edge?

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please elaborate on "W"''s damage.

Thanks
    HankD

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

To be completely honest, I have always had my doubts, but since Obama was attacked so viciously from the beginning, I kind of took up for him. Also, I was very disappointed with the Bush presidency so I was hoping Obama would turn things around. But, in following the legislation since President Obama took office I had no choice except to wake up and see the damage he is doing. Especially since the first thing he did was to increase funding for abortion and that he supports partial birth abortion, which is nothing short of infanticide. Add this to the lies and secrecy and I had to decide to speak out against what Obama is doing.

14. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

He didn't hide his view on abortion as well as so many other things he has done.

I read about his past by pro Obama people and his voting record in IL. and Washington and knew I didn't care for his views. Then I read about him by the anti Obama folks and it came out to the same. Much of what they wrote was the same with a different slant.

Then there was the church with Black Revolutionary Theology or near it type of theology.

Then came a lot of the folks he appointed, which just backed up my view of his'.

Glad you came around, but give the man credit he has not hid what he is if one wishes to read a little and he has lived up to it.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Why was it a surprise that he increased funding for abortion? He was very open about his support of abortion throughout his campaign, one of the few truthful things he said.

You know, I posted a verse from 1 Samuel today in another post, but it reminded me of America choosing Obama.

1 Sam 8:18 And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the LORD will not hear you in that day.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In general , I have a deep distrust of those who have epiphanies, particularly political epiphanies.

But you sound sincere and I will take yours at face value. :thumbs:

I look forward to hearing your voice object to many of the things he is doing or trying to do.

17. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I think aliens have kidnapped Robert Snow and replaced him with some sort of robot.

18. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey guys, don't be too rough on Robert!

Remember, he posted just a couple of weeks or so ago about a pretty serious m'cycle accident he had, and we all know that when your world gets shook up drastically we tend to re-evaluate our priorities.

Makes sense to me that he has become more open to truth.

This being the case, a few more of the posters here need to have the bejeebers scared out of them, so that hopefully THEY would have like experiences.:thumbsup:

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

You know, you are 100% correct. That is a very gracious attitude you have shown.

All I can say to Robert is now maybe you see those of us who opposed Obama, did not do so out of prejudice or bigotry, it was his political policies that we were against.

20. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Thank you!

Let me say that I understand the mistrust shown toward those who change positions, especially where a candidate, like Obama, who is so radically pro abortion is concerned. I never supported his stance on abortion, that is why I did not vote for Obama in the first place. I just hoped his presidency would keep America out of a depression, so I overlooked the abortion issue and got on the Obama bandwagon.

Previously, some years ago, I was very conservative in my politics, so this is really just a return to what I have believed in the past. And yes, the Lord used the motorcycle accident to get my attention and cause me to evaluate where I was and where I should be. I'm not talking so much about politics as I am serving God in general. But, turning back to God involves everything, including politics. When I was sitting on the pavement waiting on the ambulance, knowing I was severly injured, I felt the Lord speak to me. I am only trying to do what I believe He would want me to do in my life. If this explanation is not sufficent, then there is nothing I can do to convience you of my desire to return to what God would desire.