1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"all have sinned"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

You just crossed the line and made we humans the grafters. Alas, t'is not true.

#301 glfredrick, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
  2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

In this case, we agree. While I feel for the sentiment Tom expresses, he has made an error in the way he factors this issue. I also note that you are now backpedaling from your earlier long post confessions about the nature of sin you made toward me.

For the record, utter depravity (what we are actually arguing) means just that. We are sinners -- period. Born, actualizing sin, etc., notwithstanding, we are sinners according to God.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

False dichotomy. To not have one would make Him 99.9% human. The fact He was able to even die physically shows His nature was affected by sin, else He would have been like Adam and unable to die pre-fall.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Was Christ born of a man?

Also, where is the answer to my earlier question? Why are you avoiding such an easy question like that?

Let's examine the word "dichotomy" that you are fond of using -- especially when someone disagrees with you.

Are you not doing just this?

And, you accuse me of this, but I am not presenting a false dichotomy. I am presenting ONE biblical doctrine that says that ALL HAVE SINNED. There is no "either" or a third position involved.

I am also saying that Christ did not have a sin nature. I am not bringing a dichotomy, false or otherwise to the debate. You are introducing one by attempting to refute my point.

On this issue, the Bible is clear. He was without sin -- period.

Sadly enough, you have also introduced another heretical position started by the Christadelphians. This same group dismisses Christ's deity and the Trinity. I am fairly sure that you would do neither, but in arguing the track you are arguing, you are treading in that direction, perhaps without even knowing it.

To have a sin nature means that Jesus would have to have had a fallen, defiled, and unholy nature. I fail to see how an unholy person can offer a holy sacrifice sufficient to please an infinitely holy God. Christ was completely holy, though a man.

Now, let's examine why it is that you think that in order for Christ to be fully human that you believe He needed to also have a sin nature. You are looking at Christ's humanity in context of fallen man. But, the Scriptures tell us that Christ is the "second Adam." Adam was not born with a sin nature as I expressed above. He was a free man -- the only (well, Eve also) one, and also the only man who could truly make the choice to sin or not. The rest of us are fallen creatures born into a fallen and cursed world. Christ was not born a fallen creature. He was born both fully human like Adam (not in Adam's image, Adam was in Christ's image!) and fully God, and as such, holy and perfect, without sin, just as the Scriptures express so very clearly.

When will you stop allowing your human logic to dictate your doctrines over and above the very specific revelation of God, above which we cannot argue with success?

#304 glfredrick, Jan 28, 2011
  5. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Don't agree, God decided to graft believers in and cut out those who do not believe. It is Him that is the grafter and His decision, not mine.

I didn't say He is grafting in those who believe in His Son. It isn't my will to do that but Him. Who am to question God and the way He decided to do things?

#305 psalms109:31, Jan 28, 2011
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your entire point is moot based on you saying
    I never said anything about anyone being "innocent". Either you are doing the very thing you are claiming not to do or you are not being honest.
    ...and I took the time to break down pelagian doctrine point by point to prove I am not pelagain...yet you want to look the other way or claim I am not defining aspects correctly, which ironically is YOUR way.
    Unfortunately for you, I believe my arguments are orthodox, and the Roman Catholic doctrine is the one that is not. I don't believe the apostles passed on the the "church" babies needed to be regenerated with water, which goes hand in hand with this doctrine. That is not orthodox. It might be old, but old is not orthodox.
    ...and for the third time you failed to answer the context in which it was given. Would you answer "when did you stop beating your wife"?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A man, or mankind...or is this another one of those nebulous questions you want me to answer blindly without knowing what you mean...like...
    I don't think it's a sin for a man to kick another man in the spleen during an MMA fight. I don't think it's a sin to kick someone in the spleen on accident. I don't think it's a sin to kick a man in the spleen in self defense. I DO think it's a sin to kick a man in the spleen for no reason at all out of hate or anger with the man.

I'm shocked you don't see the intent being the sin, and not the physical act. For someone who claims to be as tested as you are, it's puzzling. I suppose there was a point you were trying to make?

#307 webdog, Jan 28, 2011
  8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Maybe you can point out the inconsistency, which I don't see.

My Calvinist buddies will have a field day, I'm sure. But any view which says infants do not go to heaven when they die won't fly with me.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Depravity means we are hopeless, not we are born as sinners. That's a hefty leap in logic. Man is born helpless physically and spiritually if left to themselves. That is depravity.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sure you are aware of how TULIP is defined, right? The "T" is self explanatory. Since all reprobates were at one point infants, that kills the "L". The "U" falls with the fact if an infant is not created a sinner, only those who are found to be not guilty are in essence elected, meaning there must be a reason for this.

11. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Sorry, but depravity is wickedness, sin, moral coruption, not hopeless. Of course because of our depravity, we are hopeless outside of Jesus Christ.

Not even close.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You say it's not hopelessness...then it is. Which is it?
    You are not following along.

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

read what I wrote again. The definition of depravity doesn't mean hopeless, though being depravity makes us hopeless. You said depravity doesn't mean sin. If man is born depraved(which I believe) then he is born with a sin nature and is also born hopeless because of his depravity.
    I am following along. You're statement isn't logical. It causes no problem with "L"

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Webdog, anything more that I might say will just re-hash the arguments already made. I leave you to hang in your own noose.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't say that. I said sinner...not born in sin (helpless)
    I disagree. If it is true all babies are not guilty, and knowing all reprobates are guilty, you would have the atonement applied while an infant and revoked in adulthood. Christ would have died for the infant version of the reprobate...yet ultimately not at all. Huge problems whether you see it or not.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ah...now that I answered your question you were dying to have answered you bail. Becoming a typical pattern with you.

#316 webdog, Jan 28, 2011
  17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This discussion has gone well past the 30 page limit and must be closed.
    Please feel free to start another thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.