1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Santorum

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Benjamin, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Think...

...he's the flavor of the month! Who knows what tomorrow holds? He seems smart enough, but like you, I need to know more about him. I can only hope that we are able to have a viable option to vote for and pin our hope on in Novemeber, because Obama is clearly not the answer for our future as a nation!

Good post, I hope some can provide information that will help me to know more about this surprise in Iowa.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO - RP is Not What We See...

....I think RP is a lot like Obama. He looks good, and he has solid sound bites, but I keep thinking there is a side of RP that he has hidden, and we will not know that side of him until he comes into power (if he comes into power)!

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Well, looks like Paul did not finish in the money in Iowa... Perry is likely out, Bachman and Huntsman should be (they are now likely fighting for a Veep spot), and Gingrich has been discovered by the people.

Now, we'll see the main stream press jockying around the candidates and positioning the one THEY want to see run against their man Obama before the next primary.

"The flavor of the month" is the technique that the opposition is using to destroy any conservative hopeful. They media blitz one particular candidate, then at the peak of the hype they toss in a box full of nails and blitz that. Very effective strategy. Meanwhile their boss lays low and says stupid stuff like he did in Iowa last night when he cited his removal of troops from Iraq as proof that he is keeping his promises... :BangHead: Knew from the start that move was politically motivated and it took less than 30 days to see it on the campaign trail.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

McCain took 13% in 2008 (compared to Huckabee at 34% and Romney at 25%). This go around, we have Romney and Santorum at 24.5% and Paul at 21.5%. I'd say it's anybody's game.

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Depends on whom the press spins... They wanted McCain to run last cycle. They seem to want Romney this cycle. The press always picks the candidate that they want to see and the fortunes of individual candidates seem to go up or down depending on the coverage and the tenor of that coverage.

Santorum is, right now, a fluke, but now that he has scored some points the cycle will begin for him as well.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The press caused voters to make McCain the winner in New Hampshire barely a week after he finished tied for third in Iowa (12%.) Right...

So Santorum's surge was because of the press? The press wants Santorum to run against Obama?

Oh wait, Santorum's surge caused by the press was part of "flavor of the month" technique that they use.

Which is it?

And Romney finishing with the barest of victory in Iowa is "proof" that the press wants him to run.

#26 InTheLight, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012
  7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Santorum came up big with this second place, photo-finish.

With Bachmann suspending her campaign he is going tk get more support. For many RNC voters he's the better candidate than Romney.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays. Cain and Bachmann supporters will, likely, jump behind him since Romney is seen in a bad light. The next couple of weeks will be intiguing.

The only downside for Santorum is that he has little cash and zero ground plan in NH.

That said, I could see (even as an independent) supporting Santorum if it came down to him and President Obama. We might see the momentum shifting right now. Ironically, it is coming from evangelicals who don't like Romney.

8. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Baptist forum pundits.....:smilewinkgrin:

I put no weight on this caucus at all.

Mine and ny husband's opinion....BE VERY AFRAID OF PAUL'S FOREIGN POLICY....it's worse than Obama.

Other than that, I will be quiet.

9. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Santorum is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I think he has character. I decided about three weeks ago that he is my candidate. I do not like Romney, nor trust him and his opportunistic flip-flopping ways. Nor do I like the fact that he refused twice to sign a simple pro-life pledge (as of November - perhaps I have missed something). I can not support him. Those are my .00000000002 cents' worth and I'm sticking to them.

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The only thing scarier than Paul's foreign policy?

Romney's, Santorum's, Gingrich's, Perry's, Bachman's, and Huntsman's foreign policy, which will bankrupt this nation, and result in a tenfold decrease in our military.

11. billwald

billwald New Member

When has minding one's own business become scary?

12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #32 kyredneck, Jan 4, 2012
  13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give it a rest. How many of the self-identified evangelical Christians that voted last night do you figure are dispensationalists?

The facts are:

According to entrance polls on Tuesday, 57% of those who caucused called themselves evangelical or "born again."

Christian voters showed up but did not rally behind a single candidate like they did in 2008, when Huckabee captured their imagination.

But Santorum, a Catholic and staunch abortion opponent who courted pastors and home-school activists during his campaign, outperformed his opponents and won a third of the evangelical vote.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/04/p...m-the-iowa-caucuses/index.html?iref=allsearch

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think this matters to most evangelicals. They don't really care about his position on Israel.

For what it's worth, his position on Israel isn't a benefit in my eyes.

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thought of becoming, once again, Israel's pit bull is scary and sickening to me.

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto for me, as well.

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #37 kyredneck, Jan 4, 2012
  18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "But Santorum’s strong foreign policy performance in the debates, in which he showed a command of detail stemming from his 12 years in the Senate, was also likely a factor.

In a New York Times profile on Wednesday, Santorum advisers said the candidate started to stress his own hard line on Iran after seeing how it elicited positive responses during his Iowa campaign."

http://www.jta.org/news/article/201...-winners-in-iowa-and-three-takeaways-for-jews

"Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and nominative winner -- he bested Santorum, the former U.S. senator from Pennsylvania by just eight votes -- launched his speech with a broadside against Obama’s Iran policy....."

#38 kyredneck, Jan 4, 2012
  19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If memory serves me right, it was this very hawkish position of his of wanting to go right on in to war with Iran (he was a huge supporter of the Iraq War debacle) that caused him to lose his re-election bid a fews years back. People were sick of Iraq, and he was pushing to go into Iran even back then.

20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, did you ever get that right:

Rick Santorum: The Crusades Get A Bad Rap!

Excerpts:

"“The idea that the Crusades and the fight of Christendom against Islam is somehow an aggression on our part is absolutely anti-historical,” former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA) told a South Carolina audience yesterday. “And that is what the perception is by the American left who hates Christendom.”

Santorum’s defense of the Crusades came in Spartanburg, S.C. reports Andy Barr of Politico......"

"The Crusades were religiously sanctioned military campaigns waged in Europe during the Middle Ages and pre-dated the emergence of the United States by a few centuries. The original goal was to recapture Jerusalem from Muslim rule, though along the way the Roman Catholic forces massacred thousands of Jews, among others."

And make no doubt about it, he's still all for those crusades against “Islam facism” today:

Santorum, Huntsman and Paul Represent Three Foreign Policy Paths for GOP

Excerpts:

“Former Pennsylvannia Senator Rick Santorum represented the hawkish and interventionist path that includes a healthy dose of Wilsonian language about making the world safe for democracy. He wanted America to commit especially to the war on radical Islam but also the great power politicking with the rapidly growing China.

“Santorum viewed Huntsman’s Afghanistan policy as doing exactly what the Islamists wanted America to do.

“So the answer to you, Jon, is that you're doing exactly -- Governor Huntsman​, is that you're doing exactly what all of the radical leaders are saying that America will do, that we are not in this to win, we are going to play politics with this, and then we will find this problem in Afghanistan on our shores in a very short order,” Santorum said.”

....and the good Dr. Paul, as usual, gets right to the heart of the matter:

““But this whole idea of -- of talking about the endless wars and the endless foreign aid, it seems like nobody cares about the budget. I mean, we -- we're in big trouble and -- and -- and nobody wants to cut anything.
 So if you're gonna keep sending foreign aid overseas and these endless wars that you don't have to declare and -- and go into Libya without even consulting with the Congress, the biggest threat -- the biggest threat to our national security is our financial condition,” Paul said.”

Again, I reiterate that Santorum is the most hawkish of all the candidates in wanting to carry out the crusade against “Islamic fascism”, and he is passionate about it:

The Passion of Rick Santorum

"I look around and I see these children and all of the kids here..." he says, his head shaking almost imperceptibly, "...we are faced with a great enemy and we have a burden before us…. Because the way the Democrats are talking, it's pretty clear what their agenda will be." He pauses. "Let me tell you what it means. It means whether we are going to be able to confront the evil that is in front of us… as opposed to giving Iran, North Korea and others...to give them the time to develop the weapons of mass destruction… and project devastation across the world. That's what we have in store for us if we do not act now and stop them now.… The Democrats want to retreat, they want to play politics."

“......."Look," he says, "I voted for this war. There's nothing that bothers me more, that… that…" -- here Santorum stumbles, a tremor of emotion in his voice a moment before he plows on -- "… that makes me suffer more than seeing the men and women in uniform dying… and civilians dying...But I remind you that while it's a great price… a great price, it's small in comparison to the price that would be wreaked on the civilian population of this country and around the world if terrorists are given the time to arm.…"

He should do a marvelous job of totally bankrupting the U.S. and bringing about Armageddon at the same time. I believe his views are hawkish to the point of utter foolishness.

And he's a blatant fear mongerer to boot.

#40 kyredneck, Jan 4, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.