BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) > News / Current Events

News / Current Events Stay informed and keep others informed.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:09 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Default Blue like Jazz--Movie

I see where the Movie "Blue like Jazz" is coming out soon (13 April). I never read the book, but is this going to be anything positive for the Christian cause in America? I've heard negative things about the book, but is this true?

http://www.bluelikejazzthemovie.com/

Sola scriptura Sola fide Sola gratia Solus Christus Soli Deo gloria
Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 PM
5,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaSaint View Post
I see where the Movie "Blue like Jazz" is coming out soon (13 April). I never read the book, but is this going to be anything positive for the Christian cause in America?
I don't know if it will be positive or not make an impact at all. It depends on whether or not the movie is compelling.

I suspect it will be at least a decent quality movie from what I've seen.

I've been following the development and production of this movie for several years, so I know as much about it as anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

The screenplay was written by Donald Miller (author of the book) and Steve Taylor (the director) and was independently produced.

Quote:
I've heard negative things about the book, but is this true?
Lots of people have had negative things to say about the book, but more have had positive. Most of the negative things critiques I've heard of the book tended to be about Donald Miller mentioning that he enjoys having a beer from time to time and about how his view of the world and Christian responsibilities don't necessarily line up with current Republican political views. Some also bristle that his efforts to communicate the gospels with post-moderns are Reed College are unconventional and don't involve traditional "witnessing" methods.

Something that people need to know is that the movie will not be a rehash of the book, but rather a dramatization of some of the themes and anecdotes of the book packaged for an unchurched audience.
“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation” - Herbert Spencer

"The New Testament is a book about disciples by disciples for disciples. Have you decided to be a disciple in New Testament terms? This is an intentional decision — not something you just drift into." - Dallas Willard

Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
2,000 Posts Club

In a video about the movie there was a sound bite that worried me, it said something about not liking Jesus?

Sola scriptura Sola fide Sola gratia Solus Christus Soli Deo gloria
Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM
5,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaSaint View Post
In a video about the movie there was a sound bite that worried me, it said something about not liking Jesus?
The character, the main character I believe, was confessing that he was ashamed of Jesus... It is a confession of previous failure, as part of an act of repentance.
“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation” - Herbert Spencer

"The New Testament is a book about disciples by disciples for disciples. Have you decided to be a disciple in New Testament terms? This is an intentional decision — not something you just drift into." - Dallas Willard

Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Here is a review:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/...azz-the-movie/
Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Here is another:

http://spiritualklutz.blogspot.com/2...azz-movie.html