1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Christians Responsibility

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by desertjim, Jun 24, 2012.

1. desertjim

desertjim New Member

Hi All, Just recently joined the group and it took a few days to get added.

Recently, after sixty years of having known Christ as my savior, I have come to the conclusion that the Christian walk can be described in one single word. It may be that we must expand on that word in preaching and teaching, but, still, it is all about Christ and my relationship with Him. It isn't about ME, YOU or the CHURCH or anything/anyone else.

The "church", apostate as it is, is too busy doing the works of man that it doesn't have time to do the work of God. However, we cannot transfer our responsibility to the church, but we can do our part to effect change. (When I speak of the church, I'm referring to the local church or churches).

We know that "The Preacher" said the bottom line is to fear and obey God, but can you think of anything that we should do that isn't included in the one single word OBEDIENCE? After all these years, I recently boiled it all down to CHRIST and my RELATIONSHIP to Him - studying His word, communing with Him and having fellowship with His people; that if my relationship with Him was "right" and I am "surrendered" to Him, He would direct ALL my ways. Then I realized all of that was included in OBEDIENCE.

Coming to that conclusion, I further concluded that I don't need anyone to tell me what to do or what not to do. The HS will direct ALL my actions.
    (Don't get the idea that I am a rebel, any more than the flesh is, but the point is: I am directed by my creator).

How simple is that? Very simple to say and understand, but WE must be, as so many people say, "sold out to God". I don't like that term, but use it only for the purpose making my point. The word I like is "surrender".

I don't know about you, but I cannot surrendered and stay surrendered. If you can, God bless you. But I find that I must consciously surrender many, many times each day. When I find myself getting off the path in thought or deed, I must surrender anew. No, God hasn't dropped me, I just get off track.

I said once at church that I may need to surrender seventy-five times each day and the pastor said that wasn't enough times for him. He made his point.

This isn't anything I really feel like debating about, but am just sharing a view
    that took me way too many years to "see".

May God Bless!

In His Service,

Jim

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Jim,

First of all, welcome to BB. I don't know how many of our forums you've had time to read yet, but I hope that you won't be put off by the levels of intensity present in some of them.

Your OP sounds very reasonable and mature. I only wish that some (and I must include myself in this number) of our posters would take some time to mull over what you've written and see if it wouldn't apply to themselves.

I get turned off by a lot of our BB posters who come off as trying to prove some minor point of their theology as being the sole determinant factor of everyone else's salvation, or that they themselves appear to be the sole repository of all biblical truth.

Personally, I don't waste too much of my time responding to such posts.

I believe that much of the rancor that appears in some of our forums would be better served if all of us (me included) would simply get off of our collective high horses and demonstrate some more of the Christian charity that we proport to possess.

'Nuff said about that.

At any rate, Jim, I want to extend my wishes for God's blessings on you, and please try to take some of what you read here on BB with a grain of salt.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    6 Wherewith shall I come before Jehovah, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt-offerings, with calves a year old?
    7 will Jehovah be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my first-born for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
    8 He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth Jehovah require of thee, but to do justly, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6

All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. Mt 7:12

8 Owe no man anything, save to love one another: for he that loveth his neighbor hath fulfilled the law.
    9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not covet, and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this word, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
    10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbor: love therefore is the fulfilment of the law. Ro 13

#4 kyredneck, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Jim,
    Welcome to the BB.It sounds as if you have come to the same conclusion as king Solomon;
    13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

The apostle Paul spoke of this struggle often;
    Life comes at us.We get distracted. Scripture calls us to be single minded .Prayer helps enable us to mortify remaining sin,and pursue holiness.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:applause: Well said. It's time for the Church to trust and obey instead of allowing itself to be used as an instrument of the devil by way of compromising values and ceding ground that GOD has given us.