1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Still Off OP

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Bill does not know what off OP means, I am starting this thread.

Bill said I believe there have been two government programs that have been beneficial, the interstate highway system and the WWII GI bill!

The GI Bill and the Marshall Plan were, without a doubt, beneficial. The highway system had some unintended consequences: urban sprawl, smog, the love affair with high powered cars, dependence on Arab oil . . . .

Most large cities were laid out before cars and trains were invented. Trains and trollies came first. Rails were laid in farmland outside the cities with private money. Housing and businesses were built within walking/bicycle distance of the tracks. Looking back, we might be better off if part of the money had been put into rails instead of roads.

Most every person in the military these days is a volunteer except maybe full Colonel or above. 40 years ago the government promise was first class medical treatment for retired and disabled vets, your old job back for single term enlistments or draftees

First of all the last draftee retired a year ago.

The orginal OP was about the GI bill

2. billwald

billwald New Member

See post #5, the original thread, "I believe there have been two government programs that have been beneficial, the interstate highway system and the WWII GI bill!"

This post diverted the thread to other government programs.