1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ryarn, Apr 8, 2013.

1. ryarn

ryarn Member
    Site Supporter

Does anyone own The Common Man's Reference Bible or know anything about it ?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I found it HERE.

One of it's headings says "The main focus of the Bible is the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ".
    Umm no. The main focus of the Bible is Christ and His redemption of man. (although the 2nd coming is a very important doctrine.)

It's a KJV from a KJVO site.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    starnge, thought paul taught the central theme was Christ and the Cross!

4. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    why not just get the NKJV, as it the KJV in modernized english!

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Not Bitin'

Nope....I've seen enough evidence to the contrary to satisfy myself that THAT "ain't":laugh:(good southern english word) so and I'm confident in the matter. I'm also not willing nor do I have any intention of arguing the matter with you or anybody else here. Have a nice day. I was just offering the good brother another good option in the world of KJ Bibles.

Bro.Greg:saint:

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I once had a new Scofield KJV, that replaced old English words with what they considered more modern englsh, and put the replaced word in the margins!

8. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Agreed 100%.

Which is why it annoys me to no end when the 3rd verse of It is well with my soul is skipped. There is no heaven without redemption.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main focus of the Bible is the glory of God.

10. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has D. A. Waite corrected the false claim on the title page of his Defined KJB yet?

On that title page in several editions, Waite had claimed that the text of his Bible was that of the 1769 Cambridge "unaltered."

A year ago Waite was mailed a book that documented over 400 places where the text of the Defined KJB has been altered or changed from that in an actual edition of the KJV printed at Cambridge in 1769.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thouhgt that the perfect version would no alterings done to it, right?

How did he respond to the letter?

12. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not write him a letter. I sent him an earlier printed edition of my research entitled Facts from 400 Years of KJV Editions: Do We Use a 1769 KJV?. It has now been over a year ago since I sent it to the pastor of the church where the Dean Burgon Society meeting was held in New Jersery a couple years ago, and that pastor informed me that he gave it to D. A. Waite. I have not heard from D. A. Waite directly about the proof that he was sent.

Facts from an edition of the KJV printed at Cambridge in 1769 can be used to prove conclusively that the text of D. A. Waite’s The Defined King James Bible is not the “Cambridge 1769 Text” “unaltered” as claimed on the title page in its first [1998] and second editions. A later edition printed in 2005 still has this same assertion on its title page. The word “unaltered” would seem to be a broad-sweeping claim that not even one letter or one word of the “Cambridge 1769 Text” was altered in Waite’s edition.

D. A. Waite wrote: “The Cambridge 1769 is a good standard to be used, as we do in our Defined King James Bible” (Critical Answer to James Price’s King James Onlyism, p. 130). Others may have accepted Waite’s claim about his edition being the 1769 Cambridge. For example, Phil Stringer wrote: “I identify completely with the statement by Pastor Robert Barnett (Dean Burgon Society meeting, July, 2010).” Stringer quoted Barnett’s comment about “God’s truth in our 1769 Cambridge edition of the King James Bible” (Messianic Claims of Gail Riplinger, p. 97). Kirk DiVietro claimed that Waite’s DKJB “uses the 1769 revision of the 1611 King James Bible Cambridge edition, which most of us use as the King James Bible” (Cleaning-Up Hazardous Materials, p. 91). Waite’s assertion about the text of the edition of the KJV in his Defined KJB is actually incorrect.

There would be well over 400 alterations or differences between an actual edition printed at Cambridge in 1769 and the edition in Waite’s Defined KJB.

Perhaps D. A. Waite has never actually seen and examined an edition of the KJV that was printed at Cambridge in 1769. The title page of the DKJB misinformed its readers whether intentionally or unintentionally. If D. A. Waite perhaps earlier only assumed what he put on the title page, he has been properly informed that his claim is actually incorrect.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    are they another reputed KJVO authors who acyually have been trained in textual criticism, for most of the ones I am aware of have nothing in regards to that schooling?