1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there anyone interest in an organized discussion?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JeremyV, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds good to me. I would enjoy entering into a common sense exegetical based discussion. I don't care to enter into a Jumping joe discussion where those discussing this issue simply jump from text to text especially when they cannot honestly and properly deal with any given text. If we can keep away from pitting one text against another text as the response for dealing with any given text and context. If we can drop all the name calling and negative insinuations. I think none are guiltless and so I am not condemning everyone except myself.

I am willing to commit to all of these things. Are you?

#21 The Biblicist, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2014
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When people post things that are worth more than one line I do.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am Arminian.

So that means no OSAS -- free will all the way, because God sovereignly enables choice for the unregenerate by His supernatural drawing of "all mankind unto Him" John 12:32. No self-conflicted exceptions.

I have seen some post in favor of an Arminian POv on this board calling themselves "non-calvinist" because they are fully aware that OSAS and the Arminian "Free will" POV don't mix unless you throw out both the Bible teaching on "perseverance of the saints" and throw out the idea that choices have consequences as noted in the Bible.

#23 BobRyan, Jul 12, 2014
  4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your intentions for this thread were good but very difficult to achieve. Passions run deep on this topic. The same arguments have been made over and over again; ad infinitum, ad nauseum. The two sides cannot even come to terms on describing their respective positions. With some exceptions Calvinists are fine being described as such since they know the label describes only their soteriology, not the rest of Calvin's beliefs. Arminians typically bristle at being called Arminians on the basis they eschew labels. When Calvinists call Synergists "Arminians" we are referring to their view on soteriology only.

Why are terms or labels important? Because it helps frame the discussion. Labels mean things. If you reach in the spice cabinet for basil you don't want to grab cayenne pepper by mistake. The label on the container describes what's in it. That's all labels do in theological debate. Those who get their knickers in a twist about it should do a better job of debating.

Personally I like the terms Monergism and Synergism better than Calvinism and Arminianism. The former terms accurately describe the relationship between God and man in salvation. But fear not, the two camps won't even agree to use those terms exclusively.

Jeremy, if you start feeling like a salmon swimming up stream then you will know what it's like to debate Calvinism vs. Arminianism.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I like the term Arminian because it goes to free will - not merely some action on the part of the one being saved -- but out right "choices make a different" actions - which affect the life both before and after being born again.

It is the full Arminian sense of the POV that makes it easy to accept texts like Matt 18 on Christ's teaching about forgiveness revoked.

And it is a point where many Calvinists slam the Arminian who wants to cling to OSAS and yet claim to be Arminian. In that respect - the Calvinists have the logical point hands down.

in Christ,

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Calvinists only get out of this - by ignoring the problem:
    Calvinists cannot hold to Calvinism and yet deny that God becomes His own gospel "saboteur" via "arbitrary selection" so that none of his laments about the lost and his efforts for the lost - can be made to make any sense.

Arminians who hold to OSAS - only get out of this by ignoring the problem.
    Arminians cannot deny that the OSAS principle negates all the "free will" and "choice matters" arguments so central to their Arminian framework.

In both cases they can simply get out of the cognitive dissonance by claiming "it is all a mystery" but then so can the JWs when you point out a weakness in their own doctrinal framework.

in Christ,

Bob

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks do not like being called Arminians because they are not. It is a misnomer in many cases.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In many cases they are not on this board - just as you say. But the 20 million or so members of my denomination are Arminian when it comes to free will -- much the same way as are Methodists.

in Christ,

Bob

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

So......let the music begin! I will make my case on OSAS and unconditional election on John 6:36-40. I don't believe there is anyone on this forum who can deal with this passage exegetically correct and so, they will be forced to JUMP and SKIP to other texts outside this context. Of course, then when you follow them to where they jump they just play the same jump and skip game because no context really supports their position. However, John 6:36-40 is so explicit and so clear that it simply cannot be handled in any exegetical correct fashion by our pure Arminians friends.

#29 The Biblicist, Jul 12, 2014
  10. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A couple of dumb questions: What if Calvin and Arminius are both wrong? What was the plan of salvation before the 16th century?

A third: Are we forgetting these gentlemen were pedobaptists?

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I don't claim either. My issue is confined to the scriptures alone.

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same with Calvinism. How many Calvinistic Baptists do you know who believe in infant baptism and Presbyterian ecclesiology? The term sticks because of Calvin's prolific teaching on election. If it didn't then you wouldn't refer to us as "cals". In my opinion if a person believes man cooperates with God in salvation (Synergism) then they hold to an Arminian or Semi-Pelagian view of salvation even though they disagree with both theological camps on most other teachings.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't really care to use it. I will be glad to mono and syner.

14. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I'm all for this discussion but I'm concerned it will become a feud as usual, and we are already approaching 40 posts and I don't think a discussion is around the corner?

15. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, those are my preferred terms (Monergism and Synergism). They do not have a person's name attached to them and they get right to the theological heart of the matter.

16. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....already been tried with the very simplest of terms:

Synergism: the doctrine that the human will cooperates with the Holy Ghost in the work of regeneration.

Monergism: the doctrine that the Holy Ghost acts independently of the human will in the work of regeneration.

DoGs had no problem with it.

Too many mugwumps in the synergist/Arminian/free willer/Pelagian/semi-Pelagian/non-Cal camp that wouldn't accept the definition. Doesn't matter how 'delicately' it's presented, the synergist/Arminian/free willer/Pelagian/semi-Pelagian/non-Cal camp won't come to agreement with it.

[edit to add]

....maybe something like this would work:

Synergism: the doctrine that the human will cooperates with the Holy Ghost in the work of regeneration.

Monergism: the doctrine that the Holy Ghost acts independently of the human will in the work of regeneration.

Mugwumpism: the doctrine that the human will is both active and passive in the work of regeneration.

#36 kyredneck, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
  17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

And the downward spiral begins....

[​IMG]

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Mugwumpism......

Classic.....

Lullz....

19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Old Schoolism: the doctrine that the human will is passive in eternal salvation and active in gospel salvation.

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Please elaborate.

Is this another verbal saying for "time salvation"?

Please delve deeper...I know very little about it....

[ETA--Have you read that blog I PM'd you yet?]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.