1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need iMac - Network Help

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by richard n koustas, Jun 14, 2006.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

New iMac user here. -- Need help.

I have the (new intel core duo) iMac connected via Ethernet cable to a port on a router on a home network and the router is connected to a cable modem (both are (older) Motorola products). Every once in a while, when the computer goes to sleep, it disconnects from the network. once i was able to reconnect just by going through the diagnostics, but usually we have to reset the cable modem and the router. is there some setting that needs to be set on computer to prevent it from disconnecting itself? if not, where would i begin to trouble shoot? would it be easier to connect wirelessly? thanks in advance....

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

WHen you computer goes to sleep it does disconnect your connection.

It sounds like it may be a problem with you router but I am not sure.

One thing to do is when it wakes back up, open your sytem prefernces
    You can find that in the Apple menu.
    Click on the network icon and then you should be in network status.
    It should tell you if you are physically connected.

Are you sure you have a router or do you just have a hub and a cable modem?
    That info would help

3. richard n koustas

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hi Richard,

It does sound like a router, but lets make sure 1st.

1st I want you to go to Apple menu/System Prefererences and when the window comes up, locate the "network" icon near the middle of the window. Click on this icon.

I want you to make sure you "automatic" set at the top under location.

Next under "show" pick the "network port configurations" menu. When this comes up you will see a list of posts that your computer CAN use. Click on and uncheck the ones you are not using. I think you said you used ethernet. If this is the case, only have ethernet choosen.

Next I'm sure you have this one, but still just check and see if "manually" is picked in TCP/IP. You can do this by going back to the show menu and picking the only network you have left "built-in ethernet". At the top under the "configure IPv4 menu..this is where you want to make sure this is set at "manually".

Now click the "apply now" in the lower left and close the window.

Try this out 1st. If this does not help post a note. I'll check back in the morning.

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Me again....

I wanted to ask you. Did this just start with your new imac? You said this router was older, so it sounds like you have used it in the past with no worries. Or...is all of this a new setup for you?

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Good question.
    It would help us identify if it is the router or the computer.

Also, have you tried waiting for a minute for the router to give the Mac an IP address again?
    Sometimes it takes a few seconds.

If that all goes over your head, let us know.

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Sorry...I told you wrong on one thing.

This is for Static IP settings, which must homes do not have. Most likely you are on DHCP with their provider. So make sure that the TCP/IP is set to "Using DHCP" and not Manualy as i said above......Unless this is a business setup.

I'm use to helping companies and said this before I thought.

Sorry for the mix-up.

8. richard n koustas

It is set on "Using DHCP"... and all the other thing you asked about look okay.

The router and modem have been set up for a few years. i just replaced the main computer with the apple.

DaleC said Also, have you tried waiting for a minute for the router to give the Mac an IP address again?
    Sometimes it takes a few seconds.

maybe i'm not patient enough?

i replaced the cable and plugged it into another port on the router...but since this doesn't happen all the time, i'll have to wait and see if it is fixed or not.

thanks.

9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I run a wired/wireless network and the wireless unit gets put into standby several times a day and it REALLY doesn't like it when it wakes up in relation to the network at times. It is real quirky as to what it will and won't do.

I suspect the router doesn't know how to handle standby. It is a newer router and works nicely with wired windows machines.

I say quirky in that different things will cure the problem at different times and at others not help a bit. At times a reboot of the one put into standby will cure things and other times five reboots won't help. Sometimes the only way to cure a problem is to reboot the server computer.

I have found that allowing windows to run the wireless end of things helps a lot as opposed to allowing the router/pc card software to run things.

I know little of the Mac, but is there a way on the mac to allow the network to run things as opposed to the mac doing it - just a thought.

I think networking is the most frustrating item relating to computers. I started with a phone wire network that worked well - now and then :smilewinkgrin: