1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ana Baptists

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Salty, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you consider the modern day Baptist movement to be a direct descendant of the Ana-Baptist movement?

Actually, I started this in another thread (pg 3 post #26 , but so I don't hijack too much, I am starting this thread.

Salty

#1 Salty, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
  2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is an indirect affliated with the Anabaptists. There is no doubt that the Anabaptists have a strong influence on much of Baptist theology and practice, but the modern day Baptists are most directly descended from, imho, English Separatists.

Baptists cannot trace their heritage directly back to Jesus. I am not an Organic Successionist believer.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

But wasn't John the Baptist, the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Israel? :smilewinkgrin:

Salty

And I heard that Matthew was the DOM!

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Gee - I thought you were trying to get me and just misspelled my name. ;)

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I thought Anabaptists were the ancestors of the Mennonites and Amish.

But this is definitely not my area.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually you are right

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Anabaptists are the group from which the Mennonites (which includes the Amish) , the German Baptists and other groups on the Continent are descended.

Regretfully, there is not hard link between them and the English Baptists. Though there is a soft one between them and the General Baptists. How much of an influence they had on the Particulars, I'll find out in Glory. ;)

8. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Interesting article on wiki about it.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptist#Origins I especially like this part:

For example, Cardinal Hosius (1504–1579), a Roman Catholic prelate of the sixteenth century, wrote,

For not so long ago I read the edict of the other prince who lamented the fate of the Anabaptists who, so we read, were pronounced heretics twelve hundred years ago and deserving of capital punishment. He wanted them to be heard and not taken as condemned without a hearing."

Give some credibility to the "goes back to the days of Christ" theory.

9. MrJim

MrJim New Member

With a somewhat anabaptist background they were declared as heretics by the Catholics and the three primary Protestant reformers (Luther, Calvin, Zwingli). The first noted execution happened in Zwingli's Protestant realm~~Felix Manz. They particularly didn't like the fact that they practiced infant baptism--that and their nonresistance stance to violence caused them much pain and death. I note to my baptist friends that theologically they would be considered anabaptists and hunted as heretics if they lived in Protestantville during the reformation...some hold Calvin & Luther as faith heroes, yet their heroes would be persecuting them if they lived during their day and believed as we do now...

Ironic history is indeed ironic...

#9 MrJim, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2010
  10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

So true, how fast history is forgotten.

Again, history is forgotten or rewritten.

When I was in school we were taught that the anabaptist are the group that the Mennonites and Amish as well as most if not many Baptist came from.