1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Methuselah die in the flood?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pastor_Bob, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best I can tell, Methuselah died (by my accounting) 1656 years after creation. I also calculated the flood to be 1656 years after creation. Does this mean Methuselah died in the flood?

Has anyone else tried to calculate this?

2. Me2

Me2 New Member

The death of methuselah was a signal, that the judgement of God was about to occur.

Can some one find the actual meaning of his "name" ?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Cruden's Concordance, Methesulah means "he has sent his death" or "the arms of his death" or "spoil of his death".

[ November 24, 2002, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

4. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Your question interested me, however I took another approach.
    Try calculating the ages of Methuselah's descendents down to Noah.
    Methuselah had Lamech when he was 187.
    Lamech had Noah when he was 182, putting Methuselah at 369 at the time.
    Noah was 600 years old when the flood began.
    {Gen. 7:6}
    This puts Methuselah at 969 at the time of the flood.
    This does not necessarily mean that he died in the flood however.

He could have died just before it.

A search shows that his name means "when he is dead, it will begin."

If this is so, the flood did not begin until he was dead.
    Who knows?

MR

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I don't know, #63 and his wife next to him!! But I have a Father-in-Law livin' in Alabama that can do calculations in his head . . .!

Before the flood!! The flood was a condemning judgment upon the reprobate folks who refused to believe the gospel of that ark--possible that ole M was living while the ark was being constructed--but the judgment waters were not for him--Romans 8: 1, "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus." Just because that verse was unwritten at the time didn't mean that it didn't exist in God's mind--you know it did!!

Your friend,
    Blackbird

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Please forgive me, # 63!! But is that your wife next to you on your "mug shot" or is that your daughter!!! Ha! HA! Just had to throw that one in!

Your friend,
    Blackbird

7. zyzex

zyzex New Member

Methuselah, means, as is stated earlier, "When He dies it (the judgement of God) shall come." (or something to that effect.) Apparently, Methuselah was the living notification of God's pending judgment. Gen 6:27, Methuselah did not die in the flood.

[ November 25, 2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: zyzex ]

8. Monergist

Monergist New Member

According to Henry Morris, 'M' died in the same year of & just prior to the flood.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is only Noah mentioned as having been found righteous through God's grace so that only he and his wife and sons and daughters-in-law were saved?

Genesis 7:1(NASB)
    1 Then the Lord said to Noah, “Enter the ark, you and all your household, for you alone I have seen to be righteous before Me in this time.

And "time" means literally "generation"?

Just curious.

Ken

10. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

I find it interesting that Methuselah was alive while Adam was alive. They probably had conversation. Fascinating history!

11. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie New Member

Nice bit of mathmatics. I never considered it before. Very interesting.

12. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I recently did a study and Sunday School series on the chronology of Adam to Solomon just using the numbers that the Bible gives us and it is VERY interesting. The overlap of individuals lives leads to some interesting possibilities. Methuselah was 243 years old when Adam died and could easily have talked to him. To answer your question, I do not think that he died in the flood. He died the same year as the flood, but he was in the Godly line from Adam to Noah. The flood was a judgement on an ungodly generation with the Godly being spared. If Methusalah died in the flood then he would have to have been considered in the ungodly line that was judged and I just don't think this is reasonable.
    My study ended with the death of solomon 3029 years after creation which was about 929 B.C.

13. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I took a correspondence course with Harold Wilmington of Liberty U. where he interpreted Methuselah as "when he dies, it is sent", meaning that his death was the signal for start of the flood, so I assume he died just before the start of the flood.
    Mike

14. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What then do you do about Noah's brothers, uncles and great uncles? They were of the same line. Did they all have to die before the flood?

15. hrhema

hrhema New Member

I personally don't believe that there was a blood line of good or righteous but that these individuals Methusaleh and Noah chose to serve God. I would not say that all of Noah's other relatives were righteous just because Methusaleh was or Noah was. This would be the same as families today who have parents who are Christians but children who are not or vice-versa.

16. zyzex

zyzex New Member

Ken H, for the same reasons that Abram was chosen out of the entire pool of huminity at the time of his calling, to be the recipient of God promises to His peopel,and to begin the physical lineage of the Messiah.

17. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

What then do you do about Noah's brothers, uncles and great uncles? They were of the same line. Did they all have to die before the flood?</font>[/QUOTE]I was not aware of Noah's brothers, uncles, etc. but I think it is safe to assume there might have been. Be that as it may, when I say a Godly line I don't mean a physical blood line inclusive of all relatives but a direct father/son line from Adam to Noah which is at the same time a spiritual line (not by reason of birth but by reason of second biorth so to speak). I am sure there were other spiritual people from time to time and some may have been related but by the time of the flood God said that Noah and Noah only found grace in His eyes. It is this spiritual line that I am referring to. Any relatives other than his direct ancestors (father's father's father's...) may have died before or during the flood.

18. awesomedawn

awesomedawn New Member

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Adam, Enoch was the most righteous. He "walked with God" and God took him directly into heaven without death. Amazing.

So what else did God do? Directed Enoch to name his firstborn "Methuselah" - the very name being a warning to the wicked of impending judgment.

And by allow Methuselah to live the longest (969 years) God showed His mercy and longsuffering to the nth degree!

But nobody listened. He name HIS son Lamech, who named Methuselah's grandson Noah. Lamech died young and when Methuselah died, I believe the judgment began.

Maybe the same day. Don't know.

20. Sherlock57

Sherlock57 New Member

Dr. Bob,

You read my mind. You said exactly what I was going to say, but a lot better than I would have said it.

AMEN!!!!! [​IMG]