1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Frightening Parallel

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Crabtownboy, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I began reading the book, The War That Ended Peace: the Road to 1914 last night. I believe it is going to be a very interesting book and a well written very readable book. I am reading it on my Kindle, so I cannot give you a page number, but can give you the Kindle location number.

Isn't this what Putin is attempting to do, put the humiliation of the fall of Communism and the USSR empire behind and to reassert Russia as a great power through the rebuilding of an empire?

[​IMG]

#1 Crabtownboy, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And one of the foreign news in the far east had a piece on Japans desire for a strong Navy and a less pacifist constitution - they have been building the Navy for some time and are rewriting history to show their past less barbaric.

You could be right - don't think it proper for me to agree with you :)

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have never admitted to the barbaric acts in WW II. Of course, they have a rising China on their doorstep to consider also.

That's all right, God will forgive you even if some on the BB will not. :laugh:

Seriously there are other parallels that are frightening also that the author mentions in the introduction to the book.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Double post

#4 just-want-peace, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another parallel, from HITLER'S CROSS, is that of Germany in the 30s to that of the US of A today.

The author did not make this comparison, but he described the forces and conditions in that time/place, and it was a no brainer to see the USA in virtually the same situation - only practical difference being the state of technology between the two countries/eras.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, China was mentioned - kinda like a big srorm.

Wonder where the sailors are going to come from - their birth rate is really low.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Japan is not really rewriting their history--they've never had it right from the start! They've been taught a doctored version of WW2 ever since the war ended. I was talking to my friend "Uncle Miya" not long ago and he defended the Bataan Death March, which is indefensible! Uncle Miya is 80 now, so he was still in school when the war ended, and was taught what he tells me.

As for Japan's military, the drive towards rewriting the constitution is strong, the rightists are in power (the Prime Minister for one) and a stronger military is going to happen. But actually, I think that is a good thing and will provide a counterweight to China.